Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Clairelowe
    • By Clairelowe 12th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Clairelowe
    0 WOW
    Rights with Zika virus and pregnancy
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Rights with Zika virus and pregnancy 12th Mar 18 at 4:11 PM
    Hi

Looking for some advise re a holiday booking to the Maldives with Away holidays.
    On the 13th Feb we booked our honeymoon to the Maldives for 9 nights costing £5k with Away Holidays. I am currently pregnant and was at time of booking but was only made aware by my GP on the 8th March that there is a moderate risk of Zika in the Maldives and has advised to postpone travel. We are due to fly on the 31st March.
    We have been in touch with the company and they are only willing to transfer £2k across to another location, as they say flights cannot be refunded. Even though Etihad on their website do offer refunds.
    Would anyone be able to advise where we stand with regards to a full refund/exchange?
    Surely the holiday company has to take some responsibility as they did not ask if I was pregnant or planning to get pregnant at time of booking?

Any advise or experience in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Claire
Page 1
    • f4phixeruk
    • By f4phixeruk 12th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    f4phixeruk
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    Surely the holiday company has to take some responsibility as they did not ask if I was pregnant or planning to get pregnant at time of booking?
    Why should they ask this, some people would get offended if asked ??
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 12th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:21 PM
    Hi

Looking for some advise re a holiday booking to the Maldives with Away holidays.
    On the 13th Feb we booked our honeymoon to the Maldives for 9 nights costing £5k with Away Holidays. I am currently pregnant and was at time of booking so presumably you checked the safety of locations for your 'condition' before you booked ? but was only made aware by my GP on the 8th March that there is a moderate risk of Zika in the Maldives and has advised to postpone travel. We are due to fly on the 31st March.
    We have been in touch with the company and they are only willing to transfer £2k across to another location, as they say flights cannot be refunded. Even though Etihad on their website do offer refunds For those tickets that are bought as refundable/exchangeable - were yours ?.
    Would anyone be able to advise where we stand with regards to a full refund/exchange?

Thank you

Claire
    Originally posted by Clairelowe
    You had the option when booking to advise the agent of your pregnancy and chose not to - now it's likely to cost you
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 12th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    When you booked you agreed the company's booking conditions, a quick look at their site says that 28-14 days before departure, cancellation charges are 60% of the total cost. They are therefore absolutely correct in charging you £3000 of the £5000 holiday. With respect, Zika is not a new issue, a five second search on the foreign office website warns of Zika, and the very limited health facilities, warning that getting to a hospital can take hours on a boat even in an emergency. In your current, happy, position, I am not sure I would have chosen the Maldives in the first place. I am sorry Claire but I do not see any way you are going to get any more money back
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 12th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    I'm sure this isn't what you would hope to hear Claire but I think the responsibility for checking if your destination was safe to travel to when pregnant lies solely with you.

Zika is often discussed on the Maldives travel forum I'm a member of and there's also advice and a very helpful link advising against travel if pregnant or trying to become pregnant on the UK government's Foreign Office travel advice page.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/maldives/health

Sadly I think this it's the case that you didn't research your destination fully before booking and don't believe you've any comeback against your travel agent. I think their offer to transfer your trip to an alternate and safe destination is fair and reasonable in the circumstances.

Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 12th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 3,173 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    Seriously?

That reminds me of an incident when i bumped into an ex and asked her when she was due as she seemed to have a bit of a baby belly suffice to say she wasnt pregnant and wasnt best impressed with my question.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,655 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    Welcome to MSE.

I don't think you have any rights.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 20,182 Posts
    • 54,163 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    Hi

On the 13th Feb we booked our honeymoon to the Maldives for 9 nights costing £5k with Away Holidays. I am currently pregnant and was at time of booking but was only made aware by my GP on the 8th March that there is a moderate risk of Zika in the Maldives and has advised to postpone travel. We are due to fly on the 31st March.
    We have been in touch with the company and they are only willing to transfer £2k across to another location, as they say flights cannot be refunded. Even though Etihad on their website do offer refunds.

Thank you

Claire
    Most airlines sell various types of tickets.
    Some - the more expensive ones - will be flexible.
    Others - the cheaper ones - will not non-changeable and non-refundable.
    Do you know for sure that the travel agent booked you flexible tickets?
    Usually when booking a package holiday with a company, you just get the total price so I'm not sure how you'd know that your flights would be refundable.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 11,274 Posts
    • 7,393 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:38 AM
    to follow on from post above...Etihad do sell 'some' tickets that can be refunded
    Etihad offer 3 different types of economy tickets and 2 different types of business tickets
    Economy Saver - non refundable
    Economy Classic - can be cancelled for fee
    Economy Flex - free cancellation
    Business Classic - can be cancelled for fee
    Business Flex - free cancellation
    what type of ticket do you have?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 13th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I predict that the OP won't be back....
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 10,036 Posts
    • 11,301 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    It's been known for quite a while that there is Zika in the Maldives.
    This:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20180209220325/https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/139/maldives#Other_risks

shows the Foreign and Commonwealth office info page for the Maldives as it appeared on the 9th Feb this year (so a few days before you booked) and it clearly warns of Zika in the Maldives.
    All of the cached pages from last year state exactly the same.

Zika virus in Maldives
    This country is considered to have a moderate risk of Zika virus transmission. Pregnant women should consider postponing non-essential travel until after the pregnancy. Details of specific affected areas within this country are not available.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin