Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DeeDeeLaura
    • By DeeDeeLaura 12th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DeeDeeLaura
    Potential redundancy on maternity
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    Potential redundancy on maternity 12th Mar 18 at 3:58 PM
    My employer is currently undergoing a huge restructure. Iím currently on maternity leave and know that my team is currently being looked at with some already made redundant and those who have left have not been replaced, no one was brought in to cover my maternity leave either. Iím now in a position where actually redundancy is my preferred option however everywhere I look it says I need to be given an alternative role just because Iím on maternity leave! Looking for advice from anyone who has been in a similar position as if they offer an alternative and itís not a career path I want to take I lose my redundancy payment right as well by the looks of things! Help please! Surely this is unfair!
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    You can volunteer for redundancy though....
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    It is not unfair! An employer is obliged to try and find alternative employment for anyone whose current role becomes redundant. Only when there is no suitable alternative does a redundancy situation occur.

If you are offered alternative employment which you would be capable of doing and the pay would be considered reasonable compared to your current wage/salary, then if you turn this down, you would effectively be resigning.

The fact that a new role may not be your chosen career path is irrelevant.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    You can volunteer for redundancy though....
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "voluntary redundancy". Although an employee may be able to negotiate a favourable voluntary severance package. But the employer can offer less than statutory redundancy in such cases.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    Strictly speaking there is no such thing as "voluntary redundancy". Although an employee may be able to negotiate a favourable voluntary severance package. But the employer can offer less than statutory redundancy in such cases.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Well indeed, you offer to resign in exchange for payment.

I'd suggest if a pregnant employee volunteers; the employer would bite her hand off!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    It is not unfair! An employer is obliged to try and find alternative employment for anyone whose current role becomes redundant. Only when there is no suitable alternative does a redundancy situation occur.

If you are offered alternative employment which you would be capable of doing and the pay would be considered reasonable compared to your current wage/salary, then if you turn this down, you would effectively be resigning.

The fact that a new role may not be your chosen career path is irrelevant.
    Strictly that's no the only consideration.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:47 PM

I'd suggest if a pregnant employee volunteers; the employer would bite her hand off!
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Not if the employer can offer suitable employment which the employee doesn't want to do and effectively resigns! Even cheaper solution!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    Not if the employer can offer suitable employment which the employee doesn't want to do and effectively resigns! Even cheaper solution!
    True but she's currently on maternity, so the role will still need to be filled
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,255Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin