Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melb
    • By melb 12th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2,582Posts
    • 958Thanks
    melb
    no pay rise because of sickness record
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    no pay rise because of sickness record 12th Mar 18 at 2:23 PM
    hi there would it be reasonable to deny an employee a pay rise (the annual one that everyone else will be getting) because they have taken 6 days' sickness in a year?

This was quoted as being the (sole) reason.

thanks for any input
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    Given pay rises are discretionary, yes.
    • melb
    • By melb 12th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    fair enough. I must be lucky as where I work the annual pay rise is given to everyone. I personally think half a day a month on average is not very much.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 11,502 Posts
    • 13,384 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    What does it say in your contract about annual pay rises?

If the contract says nothing on this point then it is generally assumed that pay rises are discretionary on the employer's part.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 6,626 Posts
    • 5,143 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    I personally think half a day a month on average is not very much.
    Originally posted by melb
    Your employer doesnít agree and itís them you need to win over.

Are they prepared to review their decision or is this you permanently behind everyone else?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 6,135 Posts
    • 29,549 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    personally it would depend on what the time off was for.

If it was 6 days in one go and it was known that you had a day op + recovery time, or 2 x 3 days off for flu type stuff, then I'd think it was harsh.

If it comprised of 6 days that all happened to be a Monday morning, then I'd say not.

Not implying anything about the OP, just saying there are differences. The OP may just work for people with no soul!
    • melb
    • By melb 12th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    it's actually a relative of mine. I will tell him to look at his contract.

As I said, where I work the annual pay rise is across the board.

I feel this is a money-saving exercise. He is undertaking an apprenticeship course to expand his knowledge of retail while he is working at the suggestion of his employers but this was not even mentioned at the meeting where he was given the news.

He is not in a union unfortunately.
    • melb
    • By melb 12th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 2,582 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    melb
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    a lot of his illness has been tummy upset or bad cold and as he handles fresh produce I think he is sensible to take a day off to recover.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    Is the sick leave paid? If so, it is easy enough to puts financial value to his sick leave, compared to someone with none and compare this with the payrise he has missed.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 4,905 Posts
    • 5,263 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I've certainly known places where a poor attendance record would have a negative effect on their overall performance rating for the year. Failure to get an 'acceptable' rating would have meant no rise.
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 12th Mar 18, 6:41 PM
    • 17,196 Posts
    • 38,132 Thanks
    Masomnia
    The only thing I'd add to the above is minimum wage is going up in April so he needs to ensure he's getting paid that.
    ďI could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.Ē - P.G. Wodehouse
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 12th Mar 18, 6:46 PM
    • 5,803 Posts
    • 6,688 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    fair enough. I must be lucky as where I work the annual pay rise is given to everyone. I personally think half a day a month on average is not very much.
    6 days is over the national average....
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    steampowered
    The only situation where I can see a right to challenge this would be if the sick leave was due to maternity (which would be maternity discrimination) or a disability (which would be disability discrimination).

Otherwise, the employer is free to give or deny pay rises at their discretion for any reason.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th Mar 18, 7:11 PM
    • 22,728 Posts
    • 57,044 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    My workplace wouldn't directly say that it affects the pay rise, but it could affect the performance review score (which then affects the pay rise). One sickness of six days duration supported by a Fit Note, would be seen as less of an issue than six self-certified single day absences spread across the year.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Ja7188
    Have you had performance review lately and if so, how did it go how were you 'marked'...?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 20,167 Posts
    • 15,889 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Have you had performance review lately and if so, how did it go how were you 'marked'...?
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    I suggest you read post #7...
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Ja7188
    I have - I'm more wondering whether the company has concerns around the OP's performance in general and is gently encouraging them to make a move - hence my asking them how well they are considered to be doing...
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Mar 18, 7:39 PM
    • 19,387 Posts
    • 44,945 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I have - I'm more wondering whether the company has concerns around the OP's performance in general and is gently encouraging them to make a move - hence my asking them how well they are considered to be doing...
    Originally posted by Ja7188
    Read the first line of post #7 again.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 12th Mar 18, 7:42 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Ja7188
    Read the first line of post #7 again.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Fair enough - so my question should be around how *he* was marked in any recent performance review...
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    John-K
    I think, unless you have an underlying problem that it!!!8217;s a huge amount.

I!!!8217;ve averaged one day every three years in over twenty years working, which feels about normal.

This included a good stretch of years when it was normal to be out entertaining until the early hours and had to be at the desk before seven.

What has happened to your relative so often?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

897Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin