Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aesir
    • By aesir 12th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    aesir
    Some Advice needed for mobile upgrade
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    Some Advice needed for mobile upgrade 12th Mar 18 at 1:56 PM
    Hello, Im looking for some help. I am trying to help my partner get a new phone. She has decided upon a Google Pixel 2. I have found mobiles.co.uk to be the cheapest around however I have found that the price varies quite significantly depending on whether you are upgrading or taking out a new contract:

New contract:

Pixel 2 64gb on O2, 4gb data, unlimited minutes and texts. 0 upfront. 29 per month for 24 months. Total cost = 696

Upgrade:

Pixel 2 64gb on O2, 4gb data, unlimited minutes and texts. 279.99 upfront, 26 per month for 24 months. Total cost = 903.99

This seems like an awfully large difference considering it is the exact same phone, on the exact same tariff. I haven't got a reply from mobiles.co.uk yet but surely this is a kick in the teeth for loyal O2 customer? Is there a way to get the phone at the "new contract" price but keeping her current phone number?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    Port out the current number .
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:27 PM
    1) Take out a new contract.

2) Obtain a PAC from the old one and use it to transfer the number to a different network on a PAYG sim.

3) Transfer the number back to the new O2 contract.

Use a cashback site to order the new deal via Mobiles.co (though I stopped using them when several cashbacks weren't honoured). If it's a cashback contract (different type of cashback) make sure you know what you're doing with it.

Or she could try the network direct for a so-called "upgrade".

It isn't worth doing anything until she's within 30 days of her minimum term 'cause she'd pay for the remaining months of that anyway. Upgrades might be possible sooner. In any case, if she does not give 30 days' notice or obtain a PAC and exercise it within 30 days her existing contract will continue until she does. Of course, she could do that any way and use the existing sim in a new unlocked phone you buy for her contract free.
    • aesir
    • By aesir 12th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aesir
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    I've read though that you can't port a number to a be contract from the same network provider? I can't find any confirmation to the contrary on o2's website, only guidance on porting to/from O2 and a different network?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:31 PM
    As I explained.

Further, "customer loyalty" is a concept only recognised by wishful thinking customers and company marketing departments. In both cases it rarley exists nowadays.
    • aesir
    • By aesir 12th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aesir
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    Too true, it seems
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 12th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,799 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    I've read though that you can't port a number to a be contract from the same network provider? I can't find any confirmation to the contrary on o2's website, only guidance on porting to/from O2 and a different network?
    Originally posted by aesir
    I think this is how others do it.
    1) ask PAC from O2
    2) Get a PAYG SIM e.g. Giffgaff/ tesco etc. Top up 10 - 15 and buy a bundle. Port your number out to PAYG SIM
    3) Ask PAC from Gifffaff/ tesco.
    4) Start new contract and port it back.

I have a look on mobiles.co.uk. EE have the same tariff for 675. Ring O2 and ask them to match? I assumed EE signal ok in your area, if they don't agree, just move.

By the way, if you have to stick to upgrade deal, check carphonewarehouse

Google Pixel 2 128GB
    4gb data, unlimited minutes and texts. 120 upfront. 29 per month
    Total 816.
    https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly-tariff.html#!/t_network/O2/sort/relevance/tab/upgrade/model/GOOPIXEL2128GBWHI
    Last edited by Cisco001; 12-03-2018 at 3:29 PM.
    • aesir
    • By aesir 12th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aesir
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:56 PM
    thanks for going to the effort of finding that, i will definitely look into it. Carphone warehouse have the phone on O2 and say they will price match high street retailers (so dont think they will entertain matching mobiles.co.uk) but if they match EE then that might be the way forward, thanks!!!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 7,753 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    Unlikely to, even though Mobiles.co is part of CPW, in fact.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Mar 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Go SIM only, forget the phone + SIM deals and steer clear of CPW sales people! Sales have only one function and purpose, to make a profit for their employer, you the customer are in the driving seat... not them.
    • aesir
    • By aesir 13th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aesir
    Thanks, but cant afford to buy the phone upfront (and her current phone is on its way out)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,601Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin