Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 1,736Posts
    • 1,614Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Renewal documents donít mention incident.
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    Renewal documents donít mention incident. 12th Mar 18 at 1:49 PM
    Someone reversed into my car, which was parked at home. This was last May and I claimed off the third partyís insurer. I informed my own insurer, just for information purposes only, and they later rang me to confirm that they had closed the claim as I didnít need to involve them.

My renewal documents arrived today and it states that there has been ĎNo accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 yearsí. Obviously there has been an accident and they know about it so why is it not mentioned? They were informed by phone and in writing. Should I write to them again? Or do they really mean no accidents, claims or losses that WE had to pay out for?
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 31,938 Posts
    • 20,120 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    Someone reversed into my car, which was parked at home. This was last May and I claimed off the third partyís insurer. I informed my own insurer, just for information purposes only, and they later rang me to confirm that they had closed the claim as I didnít need to involve them.

My renewal documents arrived today and it states that there has been ĎNo accidents, claims or losses in the last 3 yearsí. Obviously there has been an accident and they know about it so why is it not mentioned? They were informed by phone and in writing. Should I write to them again? Or do they really mean no accidents, claims or losses that WE had to pay out for?
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    ring up and ask them or if they have a chat facility use that.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    eschaton
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:33 PM
    Wasn't Direct Line was it?
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 12th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    Wasn't Direct Line was it?
    Originally posted by eschaton
    Yes, it is with Direct Line. Is this common with them?

Iím reluctant to ring them again just because there wonít be a record of it. Iíd prefer to contact them in writing about it (for a second time!).
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 58,979 Posts
    • 52,304 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    This was last May and I claimed off the third partyís insurer.
    Did they settle everything directly with you?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 12th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    Did they settle everything directly with you?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    I used an AMC. The third party insurer insurer accepted liability (eventually) but it was my solicitor dealing with them, not me.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    eschaton
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:37 PM

Iím reluctant to ring them again just because there wonít be a record of it. Iíd prefer to contact them in writing about it (for a second time!).
    I don't think they are very joined up.

I was involved in an accident in January 2016 and was insured with DL as was the other driver.

When it happened I was on the way home from work picking my g/f up on the way. I stopped off at her house on the way home for a bit as I was still suffering from shock, due to the silly cow running into the back of me, whilst I had stopped to let an ambulance with bright flashing lights through. I intended phoning DL once I got home.

Anyway, DL phoned me not long after I arrived at g/f's. I told them that I was also insured with them and was going to phone once I got home.

They took my details and arranged hire car etc.. Afterwards they arranged physio treatment etc.. Then at renewal the accident wasn't mentioned. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reported the accident to them.

It looks like they expected me to phone them again to report an accident that we had already discussed.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 12th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    They took my details and arranged hire car etc.. Afterwards they arranged physio treatment etc.. Then at renewal the accident wasn't mentioned. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reported the accident to them.
    Originally posted by eschaton
    Thatís even worse. They actually dealt with your accident and still didnít Ďrememberí.

I canít help thinking this is some sort of trap, where people who arenít too careful or are just very busy, will simply renew without noticing the incident isnít marked on the renewal documents. Or those who use auto-renew might not notice until later. This could in theory give the insurer an excuse to void the policy for non-disclosure.

Theyíve had two phone calls and two letters (one from me and one from my solicitor). Youíd think that was enough to fulfill my contractual obligation of informing them of any incidents, but obviously not. It feels strange almost begging an insurer to mark this on my record (and raise my premiums, of course!).
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 13th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    eschaton
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:04 AM
    Thatís even worse. They actually dealt with your accident and still didnít Ďrememberí.

I canít help thinking this is some sort of trap, where people who arenít too careful or are just very busy, will simply renew without noticing the incident isnít marked on the renewal documents. Or those who use auto-renew might not notice until later. This could in theory give the insurer an excuse to void the policy for non-disclosure.

Theyíve had two phone calls and two letters (one from me and one from my solicitor). Youíd think that was enough to fulfill my contractual obligation of informing them of any incidents, but obviously not. It feels strange almost begging an insurer to mark this on my record (and raise my premiums, of course!).
    Being honest, it's unlikely that I'll ever go near them again as I'm far from impressed with them.

Be careful with them as they are not adverse to lying if it suits them. That was a different occasion to the accident.

On the bright side, their recommended bodyshop was crap as well and it took them exactly 2 months to fix my car not including another 3 weeks not long after getting it back. The Mercedes C Class hire car cost them £2400.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 14th Mar 18, 9:41 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    anniecave
    Yes, I had this when I was with Direct Line also. I even had correspondance from them regarding an accident, but it wasn't listed. I phoned up and they said it had been factored in when calculating the renewal premium, but they just didn't list it.

I went elsewhere after the policy anyway, but I made sure to declare all accidents to the new insurance company.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 14th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    eschaton
    Very worrying to hear many similar stories about Direct Line.

I've gone from often having both car and house insured with them over the years to definitely never going near them again.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 14th Mar 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    I went elsewhere after the policy anyway, but I made sure to declare all accidents to the new insurance company.
    Originally posted by anniecave
    I think Iíll do the same. It makes me nervous that they havenít listed it despite plenty of notification. If I ring them, Iíll probably be told the same thing which will leave me worrying about a possible voided policy sometime in the future.

At least with a new company, I can make sure itís declared.
    • pinkteapot
    • By pinkteapot 15th Mar 18, 8:57 AM
    • 6,187 Posts
    • 7,975 Thanks
    pinkteapot

You can still ring if you do prefer. All insurance companies record their calls. Note the date and time of the call and ask for the person's name. My mum had a dispute with her insurer and requested that they listen back to a previous phone call, after which they backed down.

Obviously you might still prefer to put things in writing, but also sharing for anyone else's benefit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin