Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Megan Rylatt
    • By Megan Rylatt 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Megan Rylatt
    Fairtrade Practice Help PPI
    • #1
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    Fairtrade Practice Help PPI 12th Mar 18 at 1:49 PM
    Hi there,

    I'm wondering if anyone can help?

    I signed up with Fairtrade Practice to help me get my PPI back over a year ago. I knew that they would take back some of the money but felt it was worth it because I didn't have the time to spend pursuing my claim at that time.

    However, they have told me that there is a problem on my account, meaning that they can't send out the forms for me to sign. I have phoned on numerous occasions and no one seems to be able to help. And, they have said that I cannot close my account with them until they have completed the claim... so I am in a Catch 22 situation! They can't claim but I can't close the account until they've claimed.

    Does anyone out there know anything about my legal position here? And has anyone else had the same experience?

    Thanks lots in advance,

Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • 16,815 Posts
    • 17,818 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    • #2
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:52 PM
    Sounds like you may have got lucky. I would write to them and tell them that since they cannot process the complaint, to end the contract.

    Then, for the price of a stamp, you can put your own complaint in.

    Even if you still end up paying them, it will still be quicker and easier to do it yourself.
    • Megan Rylatt
    • By Megan Rylatt 12th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Megan Rylatt
    • #3
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    So they are saying that legally, I cannot close the account or make my own claim until they have completed the claim- because of the "work they have put in".

    It would have been a lot less work to claim myself. I've been in this situation for a year and I phone them regularly in the hope that someone will be able to help- but to no avail.

    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 20,148 Posts
    • 11,094 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • #4
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    You may be able to wiggle out of this due to "Frustration Of Contract"

    Contact the Legal Ombudsman for more specific advice.
    Call us Mon-Fri between 08:30am-5:30pm on 0300 555 0333 or on our minicom 0300 555 1777
    Email us on
    Originally posted by Legal Ombudsman
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin