Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Molly Moodle
    • By Molly Moodle 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Molly Moodle
    Donít know where to start
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    Donít know where to start 12th Mar 18 at 1:32 PM
    Hi all Iím new today. Iím really desperate for advice please, the local CAB have closed in my town and I donít know where else to go.

Iíve had a card pushed through the door from Orbit debt collections for an unpaid united utilities bill from last year. I know I owe this money Iím not disputing it and if I had the money available Iíd pay it straight away - but I just canít straight away in one go - and I donít even know exactly how much I owe.

Iíve had a horrendous 2 years struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts - every day has been a battle. My partner works but I wasnít working or claiming any benefits at all (other than child benefit 20 per week) I was just at home on my own for two years. I was in a hole worrying about life and debts and obviously this was making the situation worse because more debt was building up whilst I was like this. I went to my doctors for advice but was just put on antidepressants which didnít really solve the problem.

My partner lost his job at Christmas and I think we totally hit rock bottom. I couldnít live like that anymore and something clicked and and I just went out and got a job in a call centre. Itís changed my life because Iím now getting out of the house and Iíve been feeling so much better. My partner got a job at the end of February and this week is the first week we actually get two paysslips for both of us working which hasnít happened in over two years.

I feel like Iíve got so many debts though to try and pay - and I feel totally overwhelmed now. This card through the door has started me feeling like I canít cope again. Iíve had thoughts of calling in sick tommorow and obviously I donít want to start the spiral back downwards. I just donít know what to do.

Has anyone been in a similar position? Iím 7 years cancer free and thatís when the depression started. I just canít live like this anymore.

Should I phone this orbit bailiff - heís left his number - or call united utilities?

I would welcome any advice please x
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 13,984 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    Hi,

Orbit debt collectors are just that, debt collectors, nothing special, they are not bailiffs, very important distinction.

They specialize in collection of old water debts, and are based at Malton, just up the road from me, never ring a debt collector, i am assuming from your post you have a lot of debts to service, if that is the case, i would recommend you contact one of the free debt charities and seek some guidance on how to approach this.

It can be solved very easily by arranging to pay a small monthly payment to each creditor, in line with your budget, this is called a debt management plan, and is becoming a very common thing these days.

Stepchange will help you to organize this, if is the right solution for you, but you should contact them first and tell them your situation.

As a first step to putting orbit in there place, go to there website, take down there address, note the reference number on the card they left, write a short letter to them stating you are seeking help from stepchange with your debts and will be in touch in due course.

By doing this, they will put your account on hold, so no collection activity, for at least 30 days.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 12-03-2018 at 1:56 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Molly Moodle
    • By Molly Moodle 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Molly Moodle
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    Thank you so much sourcrates, honestly it means so much that!!!8217;s someone!!!8217;s replied to me. I!!!8217;m going to try and contact step change now.
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    Hi Molly

There's some good advice above from sourcrates. I would second the suggestion of getting in touch with one of the free debt advice agencies so you can talk through your whole situation. There will be options. And it's quite right that you can ask for the water debt to be put on hold for 30 days, you may want to use this sample letter https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Hold-action-on-your-account-%28sole-name%29.aspx.

It's important to know you are not alone, you'll get some great support from the forum, and you will find people who have been through similar things.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • January2015
    • By January2015 12th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 5,142 Thanks
    January2015
    Thank you so much sourcrates, honestly it means so much that!!!8217;s someone!!!8217;s replied to me. I!!!8217;m going to try and contact step change now.
    Originally posted by Molly Moodle
    You can also complete the Stepchange online debt remedy tool. That will generate possible debt management solutions for you.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 13,984 Posts
    • 13,251 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Do not be bullied, or put off by these companies, debt collectors have no more power than next doors cat, so if they make demands of you, simply say no, what can they do ?

Do not make any arrangements to pay any unsecured debt until you have spoken to stepchange about your situation as a whole.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • hysteria1989
    • By hysteria1989 13th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    hysteria1989
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    Cant offer to much advices as its not really my field but i didnt want to read & run. What i will say tho is dont be afraid to talk to the companies and step change i buried my head in the sand for ages and let the debt climb & climb & climb due to a mixture of being scares and ashamed contacting the people i owed is one og the best things ive ever done and honestly they where all so much more understanding and cooperative then i ever thought they would be.
    dont give up dont give in you will get it sorted and you will feel incredible when you do
    Hitachi (car)£6950/£6344.28 SLL capital £227.50/£0.00 BW LEGAL £574/£327.7 Lowell £796.77/£690.00 quickquid £187.68/£0.00 SSE £980/£0.00 Barclaycard £3537.48/£3400 Virgin (MBNA) £2224.94/£2024.94
    Sainsbury's (Westcot) £1652.52/£1402.94 Admiral £332.41 Overdraft (Halifax) £850/£720 Satsuma £116.20/£0
    total debt £18400/£15242.27
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 13th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    Hi Molly

Just wanted to say well done to you and your partner for finding employment The advice above is brilliant. Please don't feel afraid to take the first step of dealing with your financial issues - you will feel so much better!

Good luck and please do keep us updated with your progress.

Unicorn
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:05 PM
    Hi all Iím new today. Iím really desperate for advice please, the local CAB have closed in my town and I donít know where else to go.

Iíve had a card pushed through the door from Orbit debt collections for an unpaid united utilities bill from last year. I know I owe this money Iím not disputing it and if I had the money available Iíd pay it straight away - but I just canít straight away in one go - and I donít even know exactly how much I owe.

Iíve had a horrendous 2 years struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts - every day has been a battle. My partner works but I wasnít working or claiming any benefits at all (other than child benefit 20 per week) I was just at home on my own for two years. I was in a hole worrying about life and debts and obviously this was making the situation worse because more debt was building up whilst I was like this. I went to my doctors for advice but was just put on antidepressants which didnít really solve the problem.

My partner lost his job at Christmas and I think we totally hit rock bottom. I couldnít live like that anymore and something clicked and and I just went out and got a job in a call centre. Itís changed my life because Iím now getting out of the house and Iíve been feeling so much better. My partner got a job at the end of February and this week is the first week we actually get two paysslips for both of us working which hasnít happened in over two years.

I feel like Iíve got so many debts though to try and pay - and I feel totally overwhelmed now. This card through the door has started me feeling like I canít cope again. Iíve had thoughts of calling in sick tommorow and obviously I donít want to start the spiral back downwards. I just donít know what to do.

Has anyone been in a similar position? Iím 7 years cancer free and thatís when the depression started. I just canít live like this anymore.

Should I phone this orbit bailiff - heís left his number - or call united utilities?

I would welcome any advice please x
    Originally posted by Molly Moodle
    Hi I just wanted to let you know that I have just started Debt management plan with Stepchange and it is the best thing I have ever done,I phoned them when I realised I was in trouble and they were really helpful, good luck
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £636.00 Total Now Owed = £16,994
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £200.00
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 6,368 Posts
    • 13,011 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I agree that contacting stepchange to start with is a good idea. Collect as much information as you can about the debts you have. Let stepchange deal with the creditors if you are feeling overwhelmed.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,595Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin