Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 114Thanks
    Deastons
    Jamie Carragher in trouble for spitting
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    Jamie Carragher in trouble for spitting 12th Mar 18 at 1:26 PM
    But what's worse? Spitting or using your mobile phone while driving?

No-one seems to be having a go at the guy who was filming Carragher on his mobile phone while he was driving and clearly not giving the road his full attention.
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 5:40 PM
    • 17,377 Posts
    • 15,712 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Why would I get six points for touching my phone while it's in its holder
    Originally posted by Deastons
    You wouldn't, since it isn't hand-held if it's in a holder.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    Top two "Most Watched" stories on BBC News right now are:

1. Jamie Carragher caught on camera 'spitting' from his car
    2. Drivers filmed using phones at the wheel
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 5:43 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    You wouldn't, since it isn't hand-held if it's in a holder.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I beg your pardon - I thought you weren't even allowed to touch a phone while it's in its holder.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Mar 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I beg your pardon - I thought you weren't even allowed to touch a phone while it's in its holder.
    Youíre not allowed to used a hand held mobile device while driving. As youíve been told itís no longer hand held if itís in a holder.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Mar 18, 6:36 PM
    • 7,219 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    Regulation 110 (1) and (2) prohibits a person from driving, or causing or permitting a person to drive, a motor vehicle on a road if the driver is using a held-hand mobile telephone or a hand-held device.

Regulation 110 (3) prohibits a person from using a hand-held mobile telephone or hand-held device while supervising a holder of a provisional license ( learner driver) whilst the learner is driving.

Terms of note:

Hand-held / Hand-held mobile phone
    Regulation 110 (6)(a) states that a mobile phone or device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function.

The term "mobile phone" will cover cell-phones and smart phones.
    https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-mobile-phones
    ====
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    Youíre not allowed to used a hand held mobile device while driving. As youíve been told itís no longer hand held if itís in a holder.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Yes. I get that now. Which is why I said "I beg your pardon" to AdrianC. But thanks for repeating exactly what he said and then having a go at me for no apparent reason.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Mar 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,932 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    Car 54
    So what could he expect for a not altogether unprovoked spitting episode? (assuming he wasn't a known figure)

I'm guessing, for using his phone while driving, the guy filming should get six points and a fine? Although don't get me started on that. Why would I get six points for touching my phone while it's in its holder, but not for touching the touchscreen of my car?
    I'm not sure what your question has to do with my post, but however ....

Touching your phone in its holder is not (in itself) an offence. The only way you'd get six points is using a HAND-HELD device.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 12th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,350 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    I'm not sure what your question has to do with my post, but however ....

Touching your phone in its holder is not (in itself) an offence. The only way you'd get six points is using a HAND-HELD device.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Yep, even having it lying on the passenger seat and turning round to look at it as you prod the touchscreen to answer a text message doesn't fall foul of the mobile law. It could well be careless, or even dangerous, driving though as falling wayyyyyy below the standards of an average driver!
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 13th Mar 18, 2:27 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Yes. I get that now. Which is why I said "I beg your pardon" to AdrianC. But thanks for repeating exactly what he said and then having a go at me for no apparent reason.
    Since your reply to AdrianC can be seen in two completely opposite contexts you could have been clearer. "I beg your pardon" can be used as an apology or an expression of indignation. Your intentions with your comment was a little unclear.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 13th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    Mee
    What did mum have to say
    I wonder what the driver's partner/mother of daughter did when he got home - gave him a Paddington stare, or said something like WTF did you think you were doing...?
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 13th Mar 18, 7:35 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43387013

Well, there you go.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 7,774 Thanks
    neilmcl
    There you go what?

It simply states the police have been contact with the driver, doesn't state whether they are merely contacting him as a witness to the spitting incident or whether it was for using his phone whilst driving.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 13th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    doesn't state whether they are merely contacting him as a witness to the spitting incident or whether it was for using his phone whilst driving.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Erm... yes it does.

"...it is understood both Carragher's actions and the filming of the incident while driving could be punishable."
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 13th Mar 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Erm... yes it does.

"...it is understood both Carragher's actions and the filming of the incident while driving could be punishable."

Bollards. That's just the reporter surmising. They don't actually know what the police's intentions are. They are just doing what you are doing - assuming. Assumptions based on assumptions don't make the assumptions more convincing.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 13th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 3,513 Thanks
    cjdavies
    What is worse is if he doesn't get sacked from sky sports.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 14th Mar 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    What is worse is if he doesn't get sacked from sky sports.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    He has been suspended for the remainder of the season
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,700Posts Today

7,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin