Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 114Thanks
    Deastons
    Jamie Carragher in trouble for spitting
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    Jamie Carragher in trouble for spitting 12th Mar 18 at 1:26 PM
    But what's worse? Spitting or using your mobile phone while driving?

No-one seems to be having a go at the guy who was filming Carragher on his mobile phone while he was driving and clearly not giving the road his full attention.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:31 PM
    Was he filming? Or was it his daughter filming?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 10,961 Posts
    • 7,777 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    Was he filming? Or was it his daughter filming?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    By the angle of the footage it looks like it was filmed by the driver.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    He was - his daughter was in the frame. And he then carries on filming him from behind the steering wheel as he follows his Range Rover along the road.

It's a shame his daughter got covered in phlegm, but lucky her face wasn't planted into the dashboard.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 11,288 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    DUTR
    But what's worse? Spitting or using your mobile phone while driving?

No-one seems to be having a go at the guy who was filming Carragher on his mobile phone while he was driving and clearly not giving the road his full attention.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    What's worse is quoting rumours vs facts!
    We don't know who was filming, fact is an assault took place.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 12th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    Mee
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    I was going to say one is morally repugnant and the other illegal, but it seems spitting in someone's face is assault/battery in criminal law.
    I think people on Twitter have queried the using a mobile whilst driving issue, assuming it was him and not the child....
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    What's worse is quoting rumours vs facts!
    We don't know who was filming, fact is an assault took place.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    Rumours? Have you seen the footage? It's pretty clear what happened.

And we don't know who was filming? Again, have you seen the footage? The daughter even hits his phone and says "Stop it Dad. Stop it now." I'd say that's all pretty conclusive.
    • tho
    • By tho 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    tho
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    I'm with you on this one. It's not even in question the guy is driving and filming. At one point he's pointing the camera through the steering wheel to get carraghers number plate.

It just makes me laugh it's a mirror exclusive. They've had a couple of major campaigns against driving using your phone, but when there's a nice celeb gossip angle they've completely ignored it.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 12th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 11,288 Posts
    • 6,471 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:55 PM
    Rumours? Have you seen the footage? It's pretty clear what happened.

And we don't know who was filming? Again, have you seen the footage? The daughter even hits his phone and says "Stop it Dad. Stop it now." I'd say that's all pretty conclusive.
    Yes I've seen the footage, and it appears to me that the passenger is filming.
    The daughter may have been saying stop it to the goading.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    If you watch it again, you'll see it's very obvious it's the dad filming.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    I was going to say one is morally repugnant and the other illegal, but it seems spitting in someone's face is assault/battery in criminal law.
    I think people on Twitter have queried the using a mobile whilst driving issue, assuming it was him and not the child....
    Originally posted by Mee
    I think you're right - even throwing water at someone is an offence (ABH or something I think), so I'm sure spitting is some sort of assault.

But Carragher (although he really should be more responsible than this) is going to get heavy punishments from his various employers and perhaps even a criminal conviction while I bet the driver, who should be getting points and a fine, will get nothing more than a lot of money from the papers.

It seems crime does pay.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Mar 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5,150 Posts
    • 6,911 Thanks
    spadoosh
    You can see the passenger is leaning her head against her left arm. Quite a relaxed position. Where as the camera is erratic moving around quite wildly.

It would be unusual for someone to film to their left to rest their head on their left arm whilst filming with their right with their arm at or close to maximum extension. When you see her face (blurred) it about the same distance as a selfie pose.

If the driver isnt filming, its someone else in their seat.
    Don't be angry!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Mar 18, 2:45 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,628 Thanks
    unholyangel
    That 14 year old showed better judgement than either of the adults involved.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 17,385 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I don't see a link to the video.

Do I presume I'm meant to have some clue who this person is?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I think you're right - even throwing water at someone is an offence (ABH or something I think), so I'm sure spitting is some sort of assault.

But Carragher (although he really should be more responsible than this) is going to get heavy punishments from his various employers and perhaps even a criminal conviction while I bet the driver, who should be getting points and a fine, will get nothing more than a lot of money from the papers.

It seems crime does pay.
    Itís Battery aka Common Assault.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Mar 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I don't see a link to the video.

Do I presume I'm meant to have some clue who this person is?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    He used to kick a bag of wind about.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 12th Mar 18, 4:19 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    My partner told me about this. I know he presents football and is suspended from it(employers SKY?) I gather he played for a low performing team in the premier league(Liverpool judging by how he talks?)

I've not seen the footage, But surely he should have just ignored the comments made. In his position he should have known better, However reading the comments above if its true the driver was filming, He should have commented that the driver is committing a serious crime and could kill someone.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    My partner told me about this. I know he presents football and is suspended from it(employers SKY?)
    Originally posted by jlemaitre
    Yes - Sky.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43376262
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    Car 54
    Itís Battery aka Common Assault.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    AIUI battery is a Common Assualt, but a Common Assault is not necessarily battery.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Mar 18, 5:38 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    AIUI battery is a Common Assualt, but a Common Assault is not necessarily battery.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    So what could he expect for a not altogether unprovoked spitting episode? (assuming he wasn't a known figure)

I'm guessing, for using his phone while driving, the guy filming should get six points and a fine? Although don't get me started on that. Why would I get six points for touching my phone while it's in its holder, but not for touching the touchscreen of my car?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin