Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suvp
    • By suvp 12th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    suvp
    standard costs covered in "builder's invoice"
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    standard costs covered in "builder's invoice" 12th Mar 18 at 12:59 PM
    Hi
    I am due to get some work done to repair a leak patch in the living room ceiling and foyer. both have carpets. the builder i have chosen to go with has sent me a quote. The quote notes all the jobs agreed but no materials on it.
    Can someone please tell me if the dustsheet/plastic wrap that is used to cover the carpet while he repairs and plasters the ceiling is a cost to me or a cost to the builder?
    Being new to this- it would be most helpful to know what people think are standard costs covered in a builder's quote(eg. repair a ceiling). What I need to clarify before going ahead with a contract. Advice would be much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8,074 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:57 PM
    You need to clarify with the builder exactly what he will do and will provide. "Supply and fit and do all works necessary including making good and clearing away all rubbish from site" or similar is the usual form of words.

Although unlikely in a domestic job, he might be expecting the carpet to be removed and relaid by others and has based his quote on that. Any additional floor protection might then be an additional cost.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    Whether you or he buys the plastic sheeting, you will end up paying for it.

If he buys it, it will be included in your quote. Everything needed to execute the job will ultimately be paid for by you.

Ask him to clarify if he is supplying it or you are.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,014Posts Today

5,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin