Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carole73
    • By Carole73 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Carole73
    Student loan written off then new loan taken out
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    Student loan written off then new loan taken out 12th Mar 18 at 12:51 PM
    Hi,
    I appreciate that I'm probably in an unusual position but I'm looking for advice as I can't find a definitive answer anywhere!
    I took out three student loans in 1992, 93 and 94.
    According to information on this page, my student loans should be written off in 2019 as it will be 25 years since the date of my last student loan.
    However, I have been offered a place at university to do a PGDE in Primary teaching starting in August 2018. My question is, if I take out a student loan in August do I then have a new "date of taking out my last student loan" and therefore my original ones will not be written off? Or, is it a completely separate loan that shouldn't impact on the original one being written off.
    I really need some money for childcare, books and travelling to and from university but it would be crazy to jeopardise the possibility of the original loan being written off!
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
Page 1
    • robber2
    • By robber2 12th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    robber2
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:40 PM
    hmmm, sorry to bring you this news but I'm not even sure that you are entitled to any student loan for a 2nd degree / course.

Suggest you head over to www.thestudentroom.co.uk where there are posters who will be better informed and can give you a definitive answer.

good luck

Rob
    • Carole73
    • By Carole73 13th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carole73
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    Thank you for your reply- much appreciated. I'll check out the site you recommended. I hadn't even considered that I wouldn't be able to take out another loan!!! I'll find a way to get through the course somehow! Cheers, Carole
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 20,102 Posts
    • 15,823 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:13 PM
    Take a look at the Teacher training section of this page.

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 13th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:14 PM
    Hi,
    I appreciate that I'm probably in an unusual position but I'm looking for advice as I can't find a definitive answer anywhere!
    I took out three student loans in 1992, 93 and 94.
    According to information on this page, my student loans should be written off in 2019 as it will be 25 years since the date of my last student loan.
    However, I have been offered a place at university to do a PGDE in Primary teaching starting in August 2018. My question is, if I take out a student loan in August do I then have a new "date of taking out my last student loan" and therefore my original ones will not be written off? Or, is it a completely separate loan that shouldn't impact on the original one being written off.
    I really need some money for childcare, books and travelling to and from university but it would be crazy to jeopardise the possibility of the original loan being written off!
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Originally posted by Carole73
    Your pre-1998 loans were under different terms and conditions.

Taking out an income-contingent loan for a PGCE (which everyone is entitled to) will have a new write off date of 30 years from the April after the course finishes but this won't affect the terms (and therefore the write off) of your pre-1998 loans.
    • Carole73
    • By Carole73 13th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carole73
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:43 PM
    Thank you - this was my gut feeling as my original loan has been sold on and the new loan definitely would be under different terms. Because I'm going into teaching (in Scotland - I probably should have mentioned that in my original post), I am very hopeful that I'll be earning money and will be in a position to pay off a new loan but it would be such a bonus not to have to pay off my old loan too!!
    Thanks again
    • Carole73
    • By Carole73 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carole73
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    Thank you, I appreciate the link and you taking the time to respond.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 1,174 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:48 PM
    Thank you - this was my gut feeling as my original loan has been sold on and the new loan definitely would be under different terms. Because I'm going into teaching (in Scotland - I probably should have mentioned that in my original post), I am very hopeful that I'll be earning money and will be in a position to pay off a new loan but it would be such a bonus not to have to pay off my old loan too!!
    Thanks again
    Originally posted by Carole73
    The write-off date in Scotland is currently 35 years. I don't know whether you're aware but the Scottish Government are currently planning on changing this to 30 years and raising the threshold on loans to 22,000. I don't know whether it'd make much difference to someone in your position but you might want to wait and see if they only apply the new conditions to new loans, or existing loans too. My hunch is that they'll apply the 30 year write-off to new loans and the higher threshold to all loans.
    • Carole73
    • By Carole73 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carole73
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    Interesting- thanks again for your reply. Lots to think about!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,595Posts Today

6,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin