Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tardis4
    • By Tardis4 12th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 115Thanks
    Tardis4
    Please help me choose a car!
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    Please help me choose a car! 12th Mar 18 at 12:35 PM
    Hi, I am floundering a bit trying to find a new car. I need a really reliable automatic, petrol, with a good Euro Ncap rating. Although I love the Ford Focus, the last 2 I've had have had weird problems - 2001's door locks were quirky, would sometimes lock and not unlock, sometimes lock only one or 2 doors, such fun - it had a power steering fluid leak that was going to cost 500 to cost??! so we scrapped it. 2004 had electrical problems, putting the fan on anything but top speed would cause smoke to come out of the glovebox, despite being fixed 3 times by garages - also the petrol door randomly fell off in traffic etc.

So I'm thinking this time I might need to spend a bit more, up to 4000 for something a bit newer. And maybe try something other than Ford this time around. Any recommendations?

Also my son is autistic and hates being in small cars so I would love something good-sized, Focus-sized or bigger.

Thank you (:
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    I think you'll find a newer Focus more reliable than ones that were quite old when you owned them. The 2004 fan problem was because the vehicle wasn't properly serviced and the pollen filter never changed. The resistor pack that controls the fan speed is situated in the cabin heating system fresh air intake. When you don't change the pollen filter it becomes blocked so no fresh air can come in via that tube and therefore not cool the resistor pack. It then starts to do what yours did when you select any speed other than full as it overheats, eventually burning out so only full speed works.

If your son is autistic do you get DLA/PIP, in particular the higher rate mobility? If so have you considered a motability car? You sign over the higher rate mobility payment of DLA/PIP and in return get a new car where everything is covered, even servicing, tyres and engine oil, and the only expense you have is to put fuel in.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 4,716 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:19 PM
    We had a Toyota Auris for a few years. Never had any problems, very comfortable and lots of secondhand ones about at reasonable prices.
    • Tardis4
    • By Tardis4 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Tardis4
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    Thanks Tarambor & Knightstyle. Tarambor that is interesting; we had our 2004 focus serviced as recommended but I guess I don't know if they actually changed the pollen filter, even on the major service. Is it rude, for future reference, to ask for the used filter so that I'd know it had actually been done? We get middle rate mobility DLA so aren't able to use motobility.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 13th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    Within your budget, I'd say possibly look at the following cars:

Nissan Note, although possibly a little small it's unlikely to have been abused and there are plenty to choose from.
    Ford C-Max, just a pumped up Focus but your son might like the extra space & higher seating position
    Kia Cee'd or Soul, the Soul is quite rare and a bit wacky - might be worth a shout if you can find one in budget, the Cee'd seem popular and fairly reliable.
    Skoda Roomster, although not very pleasing to look at it is again a model which is unlikely to have attracted the wrong type of owner over it's life, very practical.

Hope this helps, best of luck
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 18/31 AFDs, 12/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 13th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 24,259 Posts
    • 51,243 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:20 AM
    Maybe something like this?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803054273728?price-from=3500&price-to=4500&transmission=Automatic&radius=1501&postcod e=w1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New &onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&model=MAZDA3&adver tising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&make=MAZDA&page=1

My experience is that Mazdas are very reliable.
    • Hoof Hearted
    • By Hoof Hearted 13th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 1,969 Thanks
    Hoof Hearted
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:32 AM
    I have an Auris and an MX5 for fun. The Auris is 100% reliable but very boring. Mine is 2009 and apart from servicing costs and a boot water leak (light cluster basket) it has been great. I would definitely buy one again.
    Je suis sabot...
    • Tardis4
    • By Tardis4 13th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Tardis4
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    Wow, Skoda Roomster ticks all the boxes! Thank you, will have a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin