Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Shedgal83
    • By Shedgal83 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Shedgal83
    Sky broadband exit charges
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    Sky broadband exit charges 12th Mar 18 at 12:33 PM
    I had sky talk, broadband and q box installed in January. A few weeks later and after noticing that the broadband was going to have a price hike, I received a call from BT offering me broadband with free BT SPORT (which I was paying for extra) so I moved to BT. Now I thought I was perfectly ok to move without being charged from Sky seeing as they’d notified me of an impending price hike, but they’ve sent me a letter saying they’re charging me £155!!!
    Where do I stand on this? Do I have to pay this? It seems a hell of a charge!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    You where in contract .
    Sky notifies you of an increase .
    You phone Sky and say you are cancelling under Ofcom rules due to the price increase.
    But you just swapped ISP instead of cancelling .You owe Sky the balance of your broken contract .
    You can ask them nicely to reduce the charges .
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    When you got a letter from Sky saying sorry to see you go(would have been shortly after signing up with BT), were you less than 30 days from when you received a letter from Sky telling you about the price hike?

Shortly after you signed up for BT, BT would have told Sky they were taking over your phone and broadband, this counts as 'notice' to Sky that you are leaving, there is no requirement for you to contact Sky personally.

Sky informed you that you are free to leave penalty free within a 30 day window, so they know full well that if you leave during this time, they cannot charge a termination fee/penalty.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/05/a-guide-to-switching-uk-broadband-and-phone-provider-after-june-2015.html

Gaining provider led process
    This is by far the most common process and is as easy as telling your new provider you're ready to make the switch, either by ordering a package online or over the phone.

Both your new and old provider should then contact you by post or email, with details of:
    • the services which will be affected
    • the services which are unaffected, and
    • any early termination charges for the service your currently using.
    The letters should also include further details of the switching process, including a reasonable estimate of how long it will take.
    Last edited by boatman; 12-03-2018 at 3:29 PM. Reason: ii
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 12th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    I'm not sure of the wording of the Sky letter, but it may be that you have to notify them them that you are leaving due to the price rise and not simply change providers.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 18, 1:21 AM
    • 9,037 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:21 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 1:21 AM
    I left BT for phone when there was a price rise (only a few days short of my minimum term, due to taking an offer) and allowed Sky to take this and my O2 broadband, I do remember having to tell BT,then accepting Sky's offer. I got BT's email(sorry etc) but did call just to make sure there would be no penalty.

If you just took BT's offer and let them proceed Sky would not know that you were leaving because of a price rise,so charged accordingly.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 13th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    If you just took BT's offer and let them proceed, Sky would not know that you were leaving because of a price rise,so charged accordingly.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Sky know you are in the 30 day period where you can leave without penalty, they have decided to increase prices, so they are well aware of their requirement under OFCOM rules that you get to leave without penalty, they can't tell you you can leave penalty free then charge, regardless of letters they may 'send in error'. having said all that I would suspect that its probably a good idea to contact the company you are leaving, by phone if you like(most people try to avoid it because of pushy sales people), maybe better by online chat or send an email, at least then you have a record in writing.

If you have Sky Tv I believe you might be able to cancel this as well, depends if you took it out as a package at the same time.

I'm not denying that on the letter you receive it says to contact the company you are leaving, but the reason for that is so they can convince you to stay, there is no requirement to call them, that's why its called a 'gaining provider led process'. The reason the system is set up this way is precisely because OFCOM found that companies who people were leaving made it difficult, so they changed the system so you don't have to call them.

If you are joining or leaving Virgin, then you must contact both providers

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switching/switching-broadband-provider
    Under a 'gaining provider led process', your new provider will arrange the transfer for you.
    You only need to contact the provider you wish to switch to, who will notify your old provider of the intended transfer - you do not need to cancel your contract with your old provider.
    If you change your mind, you must contact your new provider to cancel your request to switch.
    Once you have contacted your new provider to begin the switching process, both your new provider and the provider you're leaving must both send you a notification letter to inform you of the switch.
    The letter from the provider you are leaving must include details of:
    • the services which are affected,
    • the services which are unaffected, and
    • any applicable early termination charges that relate to the services you currently take.
    The letters from the provider you are leaving and your new provider must also give details of the switch, including a reasonable estimate of the date it will happen.
    Your new provider must also keep for a minimum of 12 months a record of your consent to switch services.
    Last edited by boatman; 13-03-2018 at 9:10 AM. Reason: ii
    • phillw
    • By phillw 13th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    phillw
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:13 PM
    Sky know you are in the 30 day period where you can leave without penalty, they have decided to increase prices, so they are well aware of their requirement under OFCOM rules that you get to leave without penalty, they can't tell you you can leave penalty free then charge,
    Originally posted by boatman
    I don't know what happens if you leave without telling them you were leaving due to the price increase and they charge because they didn't "know" that is why you were leaving & you take the complaint to the ombudsman.

If you have told them, then no they can't charge but they will probably try because of computer error etc etc

If you have Sky Tv I believe you might be able to cancel this as well, depends if you took it out as a package at the same time.
    I believe Sky TV has separate T&C and would be regarded as separate, even though it was taken out at the same time. I took out BT Mobile and broadband + line rental & when they increased prices then I could only leave broadband + line rental, but BT couldn't increase the cost of the Mobile (which was discounted due to me being a customer when I took it out).
    Last edited by phillw; 13-03-2018 at 9:26 PM.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 10:04 AM
    I don't know what happens if you leave without telling them you were leaving due to the price increase and they charge because they didn't "know" that is why you were leaving & you take the complaint to the ombudsman.
    If you have told them, then no they can't charge but they will probably try because of computer error etc etc
    Originally posted by phillw
    It probably is a good idea to contact them, but do it via an email or online contact form, you then don't get hassled by sales people. If you want to stay and get a new offer from them then you pretty much have to call them.

I believe Sky TV has separate T&C and would be regarded as separate, even though it was taken out at the same time. I took out BT Mobile and broadband + line rental & when they increased prices then I could only leave broadband + line rental, but BT couldn't increase the cost of the Mobile (which was discounted due to me being a customer when I took it out).
    Looking at an older thread on sky price rises it seemed to depend on taking the whole lot as a package. I'm not sure why Bt mobile seems to be treated differently, perhaps because some of the features of sky use wifi.
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 14th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    I had sky talk, broadband and q box installed in January. A few weeks later and after noticing that the broadband was going to have a price hike, I received a call from BT offering me broadband with free BT SPORT (which I was paying for extra) so I moved to BT. Now I thought I was perfectly ok to move without being charged from Sky seeing as they!!!8217;d notified me of an impending price hike, but they!!!8217;ve sent me a letter saying they!!!8217;re charging me £155!!!
    Where do I stand on this? Do I have to pay this? It seems a hell of a charge!
    Originally posted by Shedgal83
    AFAIK , the Ofcom rules that allow you to leave a communications company (within a set period) if they increase prices, only applys to phone/broadband , not TV.
    If you took Sky TV , and you leave the TV service , (regardless of price increase) within the minimum term, you are liable to pay early termination changes,
    Last edited by iniltous; 14-03-2018 at 12:30 PM.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 14th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    By sky Q box do they mean the box under the TV or the Q router?
    • in my bumble opinion
    • By in my bumble opinion 16th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    in my bumble opinion
    The date of the letter from Sky is not relevant as to when you can request to leave penalty-free (they might prefer you to believe that).

You can cancel as soon as the notification of price increases appears on their website.

No need to wait for a letter, you have been notified.
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
    • boatman
    • By boatman 17th Mar 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,899 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    boatman
    The date of the letter from Sky is not relevant as to when you can request to leave penalty-free (they might prefer you to believe that).

You can cancel as soon as the notification of price increases appears on their website.

No need to wait for a letter, you have been notified.
    Originally posted by in my bumble opinion
    If that's the case, why would any company send out emails and letters to customers telling them they are increasing prices?

Somewhere in the rules there is a requirement to send a letter or email and keep proof it has been sent. Often companies say they will increase prices but it can be weeks before they give official notice.
    I think it should be the 30 days directly before the price rise, if the company choose to do it earlier then it would just extend that 30 day period, but that isn't how it works at the moment.
    • in my bumble opinion
    • By in my bumble opinion 18th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    in my bumble opinion
    If that's the case, why would any company send out emails and letters to customers telling them they are increasing prices?

Somewhere in the rules there is a requirement to send a letter or email and keep proof it has been sent. Often companies say they will increase prices but it can be weeks before they give official notice.
    I think it should be the 30 days directly before the price rise, if the company choose to do it earlier then it would just extend that 30 day period, but that isn't how it works at the moment.
    Presumably Sky send out letters/emails either because it's a requirement or a policy of theirs. That way nobody could say they were not aware of the increases (unless they don't check their emails of course).

Regardless, you can definitely cancel as soon as the price rises are announced on their website (which is before you'll receive any email, sometimes long before). Just tell them where you've seen the notification. Done it myself recently. My Dad's done it in the past. Was accepted immediately by Sky without argument.
    ''He who takes no offence at anyone either on account of their faults, or on account of his own suspicious thoughts, has knowledge of God and of things devine.''
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

405Posts Today

4,874Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin