Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Millown
    • By Millown 12th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Millown
    NATWEST PPI Offer
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:01 PM
    NATWEST PPI Offer 12th Mar 18 at 12:01 PM
    Advice please on a offer I have just received from Natwest. An offer of GBP142.22.

Brief history - I completed the PPI Questionnaire 8 weeks ago. I also sent them a copy of my Credit Card Statement (dated 1998) depicting PPI being deducted at GBP30.67 per month on a balance of GBP4151 (average balance per month).

Quote Offer: "We have made a net offer to
    you of 142.22 which is based on the statement evidence you provided. If you did have further
    statements showing additional PPI premiums being paid we would be happy to review our offer in light of these."

I will of course endeavour to dig out further statements, however, I feel a tad disappointed that this is the offer they have made. I have asked them to provide a full breakdown as to how this figure was arrived at? Any other advice please on how I should address this?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 17,284 Posts
    • 18,395 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    Thye have provided redress based on the evidence you've provided, so no reason to be disappointed. In fact, given the timescales, a small jig of happiness may be in order.

If you have evidence of having paid more, you need to provide it.
    • Millown
    • By Millown 12th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Millown
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    Thanks zx81. I was under the impression (which I am probably wrong about), that you could claim PPI on Credit Cards providing you had statement(s) and that they would calculate historical redress. Yes I have had a small payout, yet I am convinced that I had this PPI for at least 5 years (1996-2001), so it is up to me to prove I had it? For statements from 1996-1991 would Natwest still have them or how do I get copies? Sorry if this is a futile question.

I have had so much success on previous PPI complaints (4 in all), I am totally loathe to let this one go. Admittedly, these have been in the last 7 years so I have had all the relevant documents etc.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 17,284 Posts
    • 18,395 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    They'll have no records, so don't know whether you cleared the balance the next month, or cancelled your PPI policy, or how long or if you paid PPI for, so all they can do is go on the facts.

They're no point in asking NatWest for statements, as they would have used them if they had them. All you can do is have a rummage around for more statements.
    • Millown
    • By Millown 12th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Millown
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:40 PM
    Thank you. I'll go digging for further statements and do appreciate your responses.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 12th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    sun73
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    NatWest tell customers they have copies of credit card statements going back to 2001, as do the majority of other banks, apart from Clydesdale who were found by the FCA to have records going back further than that.

What you could do is send a Subject Access Request to credit card customer services quoting the account number and all previous addresses, change of names etc

This in depth search might help them locate the original agreement and provide the date your credit card account was opened.

If you find any more statements from your own archive then NatWest will recalculate an offer based on the average balance from the start date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter