PPI Claim Eligibility???

Hi MSE Forum, we took out a mortgage in 1984 and subsequently paid it off in full in 1995. It was an Endowment mortgage with Abbey National (now Santander) and the insurance company was then Accident & General. Does anyone know if we would be entitled to claim for PPI or is it too long ago?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What exactly is it you're claiming for?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,051
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Does anyone know if we would be entitled to claim for PPI or is it too long ago?

You mentioned the mortgage. You mentioned the endowment but you havent mentioned any PPI.

Who was your MPPI provider?
    Who sold it to you?
    What exactly do you think was wrong with having MPPI?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You mentioned the mortgage. You mentioned the endowment but you havent mentioned any PPI.

What exactly do you think was wrong with having MPPI?

Wouldn't that depend on if you knew you had it or not?

I'm in the same boat and was looking for info and found this thread.
    We also had mortgages from a number of lenders from 1984 to 2014 (my job moved me quite a bit).
    I don't recall ever being asked if I wanted it and we don't have the paperwork from that long ago.
    I remember being told by an adviser at the Leicester BS to 'keep the papers a couple of years then get rid of them' so we shredded them.
    So how is anyone from that long ago supposed to know if they were mis-sold or not?
  • dunstonh
    Forumite
    Wouldn't that depend on if you knew you had it or not?

Its pretty easy with MPPI though as in the majority of cases, it is a standalone monthly direct debit (one of the reasons most MPPI complaints fail). The OP singled out the payments being made and neither is MPPI. So, where is the MPPI payment?
    So how is anyone from that long ago supposed to know if they were mis-sold or not?

In the OPs case they noted who the providers were. I can tell you who my providers are going back to 1988. Partly through memory (as its not difficult to recall you major direct debits) and partly as I still have my bank statements going back that far.

Another reason most MPPI complaints fail is that the majority of mortgages in the UK are put in place by brokers/advisers. The lenders have no liability for PPI complaints in those cases. So, even if you know the lender, it wont help in the majority of cases.

You can check the land registry records on each property. That wont tell you if you had PPI. However, it will note the name of any secured lenders on it over time (again noting that the lender is not necessarily where you send the complaint).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,865
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok, well, we've always dealt with a lender direct. In fact most of them are now under the Santandar umbrella, is it therefore just a matter of writing to them quoting the dates and address's and asking?

Sorry for what might be dumb questions but I've never looked at this before and I genuinely don't know if we ever had PPI??? (but we can't remember ever being asked if we did want it).
  • dunstonh
    Forumite
    is it therefore just a matter of writing to them quoting the dates and address's and asking?

yes
    Sorry for what might be dumb questions but I've never looked at this before and I genuinely don't know if we ever had PPI??? (but we can't remember ever being asked if we did want it).

As you are dealing with mortgages you want to be prepared. Most loan PPI complaints are upheld (little effort needed). Credit card is about 50/50. Most MPPI complaints are rejected. Its one of two types of PPI you can still buy today. It didnt suffer the same level of issues as the other types of PPI. Monthly premium, standalone is how good PPI is set up (single premium front loaded MPPI is nearly always considered bad - banks never did it that way on mortgages).

MPPI covers a major secured debt with lifestyle changing consequences if it goes unpaid. unlike loan and credit card PPI. So, its viewed as being a more important insurance. So, you typically need stronger reasons for complaint for MPPI than the other types.
  • I'm glad I saw this thread before starting a new one as I'm in a similar situation.

I've never had a bank loan, overdraft, bundled bank account or credit card debt, yet I am bombarded by claims companies insisting that I am missing out on £000s worth of refunds.

My mortgage and endowments were paid off over six years ago, my mis-sold endowment application was rejected by the ombudsman at the time, I have no paperwork indicating integral PPI.

Is it worth attempting claims against the endowment with Legal & General, if so, at the risk of seeming daft, would it be the Plevin letter?

I have been paying into two pensions for over 30 years, no idea if part of the payment is bundled PPI, is it worth a punt?

Or should I start a new thread? I'm not very experienced at forums.
  • dunstonh
    Forumite
    My mortgage and endowments were paid off over six years ago, my mis-sold endowment application was rejected by the ombudsman at the time, I have no paperwork indicating integral PPI.

Endowments cannot have PPI on them.
    Is it worth attempting claims against the endowment with Legal & General, if so, at the risk of seeming daft, would it be the Plevin letter?

Plevin doesnt apply to any insurance other than PPI.

So, as an endomwent is not PPI and cannot have PPI it is not subject to Plevin.
    I have been paying into two pensions for over 30 years, no idea if part of the payment is bundled PPI, is it worth a punt?

Again, pensions cannot have PPI on them. No its not worth a punt.

Nor will pet insurance, car insurance, house insurance, travel insurance and virtually ever other insurance. PPI is an insurance in itself. It is only built into debts or is standalone. Not other insurance products.
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it. I knew there'd be someone out there who could tell me what's what, it's exactly what I needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure