Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,216Posts
    • 1,235Thanks
    Beenie
    Getting a Blue Badge
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:46 AM
    Getting a Blue Badge 12th Mar 18 at 11:46 AM
    I am thinking of applying for a Blue Badge for my 83 year old mother, who has walking difficulties, heart disease and Alzheimers.

Looking at the form, it seems that we need to provide photo ID but she doesn't drive (so no licence), her passport is out of date, and getting her to sit still in a photo booth is going to be a challenge.

Has anyone else had problems like this and knows of ways round them, or other things that can be used as ID (bus pass?).
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 10,965 Posts
    • 7,778 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    I'm afraid they require a signed, passport photo. You don;t need to use a photo booth, you could try taking the photo yourselves or getting a professional to take a passport style photo. All it needs to do is meet necessary requirements - https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/help/photo-rules
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:03 PM
    That's better. I think we can take our own photo and send a digital copy?

I should probably ask the council but their phone line to the BB Team is permanently engaged.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 12th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    OP, there's a difference between photo ID and a photo. If they want photo ID of your mum then her expired passport will suffice, so long as the picture still resembles her - it still proves who she is. I think you mean they need a photo of your mum for the blue badge (it goes on the back) - you can usually get these done at the post office. Our post office takes your picture with a camera then produces a passport style photo i.e. no booth. You could do it yourself but it needs to be passport style and quality.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    I just used an old photo I had on my computer of my Dad, they're not fussy like the passport people.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    I am thinking of applying for a Blue Badge for my 83 year old mother, who has walking difficulties, heart disease and Alzheimers.

Looking at the form, it seems that we need to provide photo ID but she doesn't drive (so no licence), her passport is out of date, and getting her to sit still in a photo booth is going to be a challenge.

Has anyone else had problems like this and knows of ways round them, or other things that can be used as ID (bus pass?).
    Originally posted by Beenie
    Contact your local council for advice as they are the issuing authority. If she gets DLA , PIP or Attendance Allowance it will be fairly simple, if she doesn't it'll be a challenge.
    • Beenie
    • By Beenie 12th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Beenie
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    Attendance Allowance is being claimed on the advice of the DWP visiting officer (who said she didn't envisage any problems with it being granted to my mother). If I can get through to the BB team in her city, I will ask them about the photo and what they will/will not accept.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 44,099 Posts
    • 52,250 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    Apply online for/with her and attach a digital photo.

Provided it complies with their stated requirements you can take it at home with your mobile/whatever.

For ID verification I think they'll accept a scan of the out of date passport.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 9,423 Posts
    • 10,421 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    Another vote for using the old passport. Her ID doesn't magically change just because the passport is out of date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,203Posts Today

7,406Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin