Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markins12
    • By markins12 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    markins12
    Recurring Default on credit file for 5 years.
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    Recurring Default on credit file for 5 years. 12th Mar 18 at 11:33 AM
    Hi there,

T Mobile billed me for roughly 200 back in 2012, which I disputed and never paid. I left them for a different provider and my account with them has remained in default ever since.

I tried to settle the debt with them last year, but as T Mobile have now become EE they didn't know anything about my dispute and it is in the hands of debt collectors. It appears on my credit profile every month as 'default' when I check on Noodle.

My question is how long will the default remain on my credit file? Will it affect my credit score as It has been almost 6 years?

Before anyone suggests, I am not paying the money I owe them, so please don't suggest it.

Thank you in advance
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 16,803 Posts
    • 17,813 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:36 AM
    It will fall off your account six years from default.

If they gain a CCJ, that would be on your files for a further 6 years.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:37 AM
    6 years from the date of initial default before it drops off.

It won't affect your score, since it's made up and no one sees or uses it to judge you for credit.

This doesn't mean the debt still shouldn't be paid though - it could end up being passed to the courts and a CCJ being issued, which will then be there for another 6 years
    • markins12
    • By markins12 12th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    markins12
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:53 AM
    Great, thank you so much for the replies. I don't think they'll bother taking it to the courts after such a long time, but I could be wrong! !!!!!!!s.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:07 PM
    They can take it to court up until 6 years to the day that the default was issued.

E.g. if the default is due to drop off on March 14th 2018, they can apply for the CCJ on March 13th 2018.

After that time it is not enforceable by the courts.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,271 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:37 PM
    They can take it to court up until 6 years to the day that the default was issued.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    and a lot of the time they do.....so watch your postbox very carefully OP, as your debt has, most likely, been sold to a debt purchaser, not a debt collector................one chap was taken to court for a 15 debt before Christmas, you may get away with it.....you may not !!
    Last edited by sourcrates; 12-03-2018 at 1:53 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin