Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mhiggs1996
    • By mhiggs1996 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mhiggs1996
    Do I have to declare void insurance?
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    Do I have to declare void insurance? 12th Mar 18 at 10:53 AM
    Back in 2014 I got in an accident which ended up with me having my insurance voided. I'm looking at the money supermarket insurance app right now and it asks "has anyone on the policy ever been declined insurance? now I may be taking this literally hence why I need some advice but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void or cancelled that means I dont have to declare? or is this tricky wording to catch people out

Thanks
Page 1
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 12th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    Yes definitely.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 12th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:28 AM
    Why was your Insurance "Voided" previously.

Was it definitely voided In insurance terms.

IF so you will have to declare it 100%
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 92,594 Posts
    • 59,910 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:00 PM
    Its asking if anyone named on the policy has ever had declined insurance.

You always answer the question as it is asked. It is pretty clear when you read it as it asks.

but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void
    They wouldnt ask that question as you are talking about the population of the UK there. The insurer is only interested on the people in the proposed policy.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • mhiggs1996
    • By mhiggs1996 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mhiggs1996
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:45 PM
    I was doing lots of research and found that insurance companies get their information on people from the MIB including if they have had a policy cancelled. on the MIB website if says "The information is retained for 7 years" (the question was how long is information stored on the MIB) so does this mean 7 years after having a policy cancelled i won't have to declare it as it won't be on the MIB database therefore they can't prove if I've had a policy cancelled? Or are they able to check in other ways?
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 13th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 3:47 PM
    Why was your policy cancelled? Was it for fraudulent reasons?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 13th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 11,619 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    I'm looking at the money supermarket insurance app right now and it asks "has anyone on the policy ever been declined insurance? now I may be taking this literally hence why I need some advice but surely because they didn't specifically say has anyone ever had an insurance policy void or cancelled that means I dont have to declare? or is this tricky wording to catch people out
    Originally posted by mhiggs1996
    It's not the comparison site trying to catch you out, because why would they? And they are the ones who wrote the questions you are answering. So no conspiracies are against you here.
    But, yes, you need to declare it. It the comparison site doesn't ask the relevant question then try a different one.

I once messed up with something similar. A car drove into the back of me (and two more followed suit) causing a lot of damage to their car but none to mine. Not my fault and no claim by me.
    Comparison site asked if I'd had any claims. I said "no".
    Went with the cheapest. Should have read the documents from them (including the line "No claims or accidents" on the basis that I'd said "no" to having had any claims) but didn't. Ended up having to pay a fair amount to make a change to the policy or else they would have voided it.
    The next year I used a different comparison site where I was able to answer that I'd had an accident with zero claim.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 13th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 4:36 PM
    Yes you have to declare it.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 13th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 92,594 Posts
    • 59,910 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    If it asks "have you ever" then it means ever. It doesnt mean you can commit fraud after 7 years as you think you can get away with it.

The MIB is not the only place they get their data.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 13th Mar 18, 5:55 PM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    I think the OP was asking whether "voided" means the same as "cancelled" ?
    Is the proposer supposed to know that in insurance-speak they mean the same thing (if they do?) or should he answer the question literally as asked and assume that they are not the same thing as they are different words, not defined by the insurer?

Just found this:

"Cancelled car insurance policies are those that have been terminated before they were due to expire.
    Voided car insurance policies are those that have been declared null and void from the policy start date. Under these circumstances, cancellation provisions may not apply. "
    Last edited by Clifford_Pope; 13-03-2018 at 6:01 PM.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 14th Mar 18, 9:48 AM
    • 11,619 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    I think the OP was asking whether "voided" means the same as "cancelled" ?
    Is the proposer supposed to know that in insurance-speak they mean the same thing (if they do?) or should he answer the question literally as asked and assume that they are not the same thing as they are different words, not defined by the insurer?
    Originally posted by Clifford_Pope
    I don't know if they are the same thing.
    But I am pretty sure that what happened to the OP needs to be declared, whether they are asked the question directly or not.
    If they don't declare it, regardless of how accurately they answered the asked questions, I'd bet that the small-print of the insurance they take out - that they are supposed to read before agreeing to - says that they haven't had a policy voided.
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 14th Mar 18, 10:47 AM
    • 3,589 Posts
    • 3,740 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    In other words we do have to second-guess what the insurer might mean, rather than confining ourselves to answering the question as it stands.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin