Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markfj
    • By markfj 12th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 436Posts
    • 161Thanks
    markfj
    Car Jump start kits
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    Car Jump start kits 12th Mar 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hi

I am looking for a decent car jumb starter, as my one and one i bought someone else are different brands, look exactly the same and neither work as they should despite the good reviews at the time

Is there a long lasting decent jump starter, its only for a 1.6 diesel fiesta but I want want that will atually work as it should and last longer than the others did

Cheers
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,188 Posts
    • 9,418 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    Do you mean one that includes a battery? If so I have one made by SIP ("Rescue pak 1600") that cost just a hundred quid, and it worked very well on my 2.4 diesel transit when the starter battery (the van has two 12V batteries) gave up. Needed to use it a few times until I bought a new battery for the van.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • markfj
    • By markfj 12th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    markfj
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    Hi, so I am talking something like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-12000mAh-Portable-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B01DLRGY8A/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1520852419&sr=8-7&keywords=jump+starter

just for example

I bought one and it worked for a while, but had a flat battery the other day and then find out neither my battery or jump kit are going to work typically
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6,963 Posts
    • 5,729 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Was your jump pack fully charged? These will help a weak battery but won't help if the battery is completely flat.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6,149 Posts
    • 9,726 Thanks
    Farway
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    I've just been through the same hassle with a flat battery. I looked around and settled on the Silverline, review here. I have not used it in anger but it appears to be suitable for my needs

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92728/best-mini-jump-starter-packs-2018

If you are regularly using it to start your car I suggest a new car battery would be the better option
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 2,066 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:36 PM
    No jump pack is able to hold a charge indefinitely. Batteries produce current via a chemical reaction, you can't stop that just by disconnecting the battery. There will always be a reaction occurring at some level so a battery will always ultimately end up going flat just on its own. You will get differences in the speed that they go flat unused but ultimately all of them will.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    I bought one from a recent motorsport show, and one of the things they stressed (as did the label on my old one) was that it must be re-charged every three months or so. I also noticed the paperwork on my new one (which is one of the miniature ones) mentions not storing it in a place that will drop below zero.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 26,967 Posts
    • 10,864 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:06 PM
    Just check the reviews where they test them properly, the lithium jump starters tend to swell and fail.

I have a proper old style one with a SLA battery, ite now 12 years old and still managed to start the neighbours car recently.

Your better off fixing your battery/charging issues.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • that
    • By that 12th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    that
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    if your battery keeps going flat after standing a few hours, and you dont want to pay 100's to find the cause and buy a new part, I totally recommend on of these below, but did have to cut a copper pipe to make a shim as the size was slightly out for my battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Battery-Disconnect-Isolator-Cut-Off-Switch-12v-24v/172096775398?epid=1375394496&hash=item2811c464e6:g :E68AAOSwsE1aFZLJ
    • markfj
    • By markfj 13th Mar 18, 1:44 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    markfj
    Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it

I bought the car under a year ago and I had the battery replaced as it wasnt working properly. I had the battery checked and the alternator checked since, I didnt realise that the cigarette lighter in my car was always live and so my dashcams were running overnight.. which I think is the issue now as it has a new heavy duty battery in it which is under a year old.

so looking at hardwiring those instead to solve that, and really wanted a battery jump starter, as my one and my dads one (both look identical but apparently different brands) neither are holding charge when disconnected from mains, so never actually charge up

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,734Posts Today

6,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin