Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AvocadosBeforeMortgages
    • By AvocadosBeforeMortgages 12th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 46Thanks
    AvocadosBeforeMortgages
    Sick pay - what's normal in the charitable sector?
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    Sick pay - what's normal in the charitable sector? 12th Mar 18 at 10:27 AM
    I've just had a job offer through for a professional full time permanent role with a well known national charity. The pay is good (noticeable pay rise) but the contract says they don't pay anything beyond SSP if you're unwell - and SSP is a pittance.

This will be my first time working in the charitable sector after a career across the private and public sectors, and it's the first time I've been offered a role where there's no occupational sick pay. I've no plans to go sick (not been off in over 2 years, even for a single day) but having had a cancer scare once I'm well aware that things can go wrong for anyone (and the job involves long distance driving, so there's a higher than average chance of a crash that injures me and requires time off).

Is this the norm in the charitable sector, and should I be taking out some form of insurance to ensure that I can keep paying the rent etc. if something major did happen?
Page 1
    • gingerdad
    • By gingerdad 12th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,796 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    gingerdad
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    its norm across lots of businesses - we only pay SSP - found to many people take the !!!! on a better sick pay scheme so everyone looses
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 12th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    I worked for a charity for a while and that was their policy. I'd imagine it is often the norm - money is going to be very tight.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 12th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:58 PM
    Perfectly normal in any industry. Speak to an Independent Financial Adviser about putting an Income Protection policy in place.

If you're moving jobs, deduct the cost of the Income Protection policy when you're weighing up your old and new salaries.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 5,456 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    SSP only seems to be more and more common these days, not just in the charity sector.
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 12th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    Yes its the norm, they often don't pay maternity pay either
    19-02-18 Total Debt 4,015 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 900/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 17,048 Posts
    • 8,933 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    Perfectly normal in any industry. Speak to an Independent Financial Adviser about putting an Income Protection policy in place.

If you're moving jobs, deduct the cost of the Income Protection policy when you're weighing up your old and new salaries.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    I do not know the answer, but I was going to suggest some of the pay rise could be put towards a PHI policy.

You do not need to cover your pay in its entirety (that is not allowed anyway), but you might be able to cover say half of it or even enough to pay the bills.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 12th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 720 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    Do you mean there are employers who do not pay statutory maternity pay?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 16,565 Posts
    • 41,815 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:22 PM
    I've always worked in the voluntary sector with national organisations. Years ago the sick pay was quite generous but it's been cut back over the years. Never worked for an organisation that only pays SSP although it obviously depends on length of service. I think my current place is 2 months full pay, 4 months half pay but you have to have been there donkeys years to get that.
    I'd always look at income replacement anyway.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Mar 18, 1:28 AM
    • 38,626 Posts
    • 35,358 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    they may not pay ENHANCED maternity pay, but they'll be paying SMP.

Small charity I work for is a sliding scale, starts at 2 weeks' full followed by 2 weeks' half. Nothing but SSP would give me pause too: I've had two extended periods (in nearly 20 years) which required phased returns, and last year I was floored by a cough / chest infection / proper lurgy.

the Income Protection Plan sounds like a good alternative but read the small print.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 13th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    Do you mean there are employers who do not pay statutory maternity pay?
    Originally posted by General Grant
    Sorry I meant don't pay maternity pay which is above statutory
    19-02-18 Total Debt 4,015 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 900/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    Emergency Fund 280/300
    • AvocadosBeforeMortgages
    • By AvocadosBeforeMortgages 14th Mar 18, 10:16 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    AvocadosBeforeMortgages

Thanks; I've had a look and a comparison site seems to suggest something in the region of 17pcm.

Do Independent Financial Advisors charge you for the work or is it a commission based thing? I've never used one and it's the sort of thing I have down in my mind as being for people rather wealthier than I am!

its norm across lots of businesses - we only pay SSP - found to many people take the !!!! on a better sick pay scheme so everyone looses
    Originally posted by gingerdad
    It's a shame that this way if someone gets cancer they lose their house.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 14th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    comeandgo
    It's a shame that this way if someone gets cancer they lose their house.[/QUOTE]

People need to take responsibility for themselves. Even if on enhanced SSP it usually only lasts a few months. For long term sickness you need to have insurance in place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin