Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 194Posts
    • 55Thanks
    jammerr
    0 WOW
    Spelt name wrong when booking flights
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    0 WOW
    Spelt name wrong when booking flights 12th Mar 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hello, I've done the stupidest thing and spelt my name incorrectly when booking a flight through TravelUp last night. I put an extra character in my first name.

The flights are with Virgin and the e-ticket has not yet come through. It was booked on a credit card. I notified them ASAP, and an unfriendly customer service rep on the phone told me to email through to them with details and that it will likely cost me.

Anything I can do to fight this? It is one character. After looking at Virgins website they seem to allow these changes. Can I not go to Virgin directly and ask them to change. Or am I at mercy of the T&Cs and just prepare to get screwed and don't make the mistake again.

Cheers
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 11,199 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:36 AM
    as you chose to book through an agent and not with the airline direct, the agent will need to sort the change. Whilst Virgin may allow name corrections for free (up to 3 characters) you will have the Travelup T&Cs and charges to deal with

Travelup T&Cs
    please check that all details are correct and complete; for example, that each name is exactly as stated on the relevant passport. If any information is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us as soon as possible. We will do our best to rectify any inaccuracies that are notified to us, but you will be responsible for any costs and expenses except where any error was ours.
    If you made the mistake, then you would be charged their fee
    This is where booking direct with the airline would have helped - Virgin allow cancellation for full refund within 24 hours of booking (as many other airlines do) but this does not apply to agents bookings
    There may be one bit of hope to hang on to....Travelup as with many other online ticket sellers, do not have live pricing...you don't actually "book" the flights on their site, you are making a request for them to book you...there are a number of posts on tripadvisor where they have contacted the passenger to ask for more money for the real price at which point you could decide not to proceed and get your money back (then go book with the airline direct) If they have already ticketed the flight and will be charging for the change, I assume the saving you made by booking with them would cover this.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    I usually book direct but the agent was cheaper. Lesson learnt the hard way I suppose

No ticket through yet
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:43 AM
    If Virgin explicitly allows it then keep pushing TravelUp to make the change. I would not want to wait for them to get back on email, call again and see if you get a more sympathetic. It's too late for you now but it's yet another issue that could have been easily dealt with if the booking had been made directly from the airline.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    Thank you, I have done this. The agent on the phone specifically mentioned 'full name change or correction'? When I said typo he didn't seem to think it would seem to be an issue as they can contact the airline and get it sorted quickly.

I will wait and see if I get a call back...
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:00 AM
    They want 90

'
    Thanks for the email and I have checked the booking and we can amend the name on the booking but there will be a charge of 90.00. Please advise and we will send you a payment link to amend the name.'
    Thieves! And worst of all no one to blame but myself
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 11,279 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    They want 90

'
    Thanks for the email and I have checked the booking and we can amend the name on the booking but there will be a charge of 90.00. Please advise and we will send you a payment link to amend the name.'
    Thieves! And worst of all no one to blame but myself
    Originally posted by jammerr
    Tell them that you don't want to amend a name you want to correct a spelling error
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    I have done this. We will wait to see their response which will probably be 'tough'.

Virgin have said nothing they can do, no surprise really.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 12th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    Tell them that you don't want to amend a name you want to correct a spelling error
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Difficult to know when a spelling error isn't an amendment.
    • Robots
    • By Robots 12th Mar 18, 11:17 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Robots
    Crikey, it used to be 15 to correct a name. We also got it free once (Virgin), it was only noticed at check-in and my mother wasn't going to leave until they changed it then and there for free. I wouldn't want to have that argument in an airport for fear of being kicked out, but my mother was 65 at the time and they probably didn't want the bad press.
    Veteran gamer and clean freak
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 12th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 11,279 Thanks
    jackieblack
    Originally posted by Alfrescodave
    Not really, (and you'd probably want to avoid using a term like amendment as it is too vague)

I think it would be generally accepted that, for example, changing Spusan Smith to Susan Smith is a correction of a spelling error (OP stated they spelt their name incorrectly / put an extra character in their first name)

Changing it from Jemima Jones to Susan Smith would be a name change
    Last edited by jackieblack; 12-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by Alfrescodave
    Well, if the OP's name is James and he's spelled his name Jammes (he put an extra character in his first name) I'd say it was pretty clear that it was a mistake and not a 'name amendment' or 'name change'.
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    Thanks for everyone's replies and help. Unfortunately I have had to suck it up and pay. In the grand scheme of things 90 is not the worst case scenario.

In future:

BOOK DIRECT WITH THE AIRLINE (even if it costs slightly extra)
    Double and triple check before you hit the confirm button and get someone else to check
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks for everyone's replies and help. Unfortunately I have had to suck it up and pay. In the grand scheme of things 90 is not the worst case scenario.

In future:

BOOK DIRECT WITH THE AIRLINE (even if it costs slightly extra)
    Double and triple check before you hit the confirm button and get someone else to check
    I think it's pretty mean (and poor customer service) by TravelUp to charge you the amendment fee if Virgin would have allowed the change for free.

I'd be "not recommending" them to anyone who will listen.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 12th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 11,199 Posts
    • 7,346 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I think it's pretty mean (and poor customer service) by TravelUp to charge you the amendment fee if Virgin would have allowed the change for free.

I'd be "not recommending" them to anyone who will listen.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    most third party floggers charge 'service'(?)/'admin' fees on top of what the airline charge - they tend not to work for free (whether the admin fees are 'fair' is another debate)
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 12th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    jammerr
    I agree Polly. They have done nothing wrong as their T&Cs state though morally I feel they have. It would be a different case if it were a proper name change.

I suppose they need to make their money somewhere. This is the risk you take when booking through smaller agents as I have now learnt. Cheap is cheap for a reason
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I agree Polly. They have done nothing wrong as their T&Cs state though morally I feel they have. It would be a different case if it were a proper name change.

I suppose they need to make their money somewhere. This is the risk you take when booking through smaller agents as I have now learnt. Cheap is cheap for a reason
    It might have been worse.
    You could have booked with eDreams.
    Every day there's a different complaint on the Air Travel board of Tripadvisor.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 12th Mar 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It's probably how they make their money. I doubt their markup on flights is very high, in fact they may even be selling them with a loss in the hopes that enough passengers will need to make changes at a later stage.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Mar 18, 5:00 PM
    • 20,062 Posts
    • 53,808 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It's probably how they make their money. I doubt their markup on flights is very high, in fact they may even be selling them with a loss in the hopes that enough passengers will need to make changes at a later stage.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    Maybe so.
    But it's hardly going to get them repeat business.

And as the saying goes:
    "A happy customer tells a friend; an unhappy customer tells the world.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 13th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    Not really, (and you'd probably want to avoid using a term like amendment as it is too vague)

I think it would be generally accepted that, for example, changing Spusan Smith to Susan Smith is a correction of a spelling error (OP stated they spelt their name incorrectly / put an extra character in their first name)

Changing it from Jemima Jones to Susan Smith would be a name change
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    What's vague about amendment ? its a change (usually to a document) which could apply to correcting a spelling mistake or an incorrect name.

Generally accepted by whom ? this question by OP shows that there is no generally accepted criteria for correcting flight documents. Changing Aron Brown to Ron Brown is that a name change or a spelling mistake?

Ideally the Travel Industry should agree and issue guidelines for changing travel documents but won't as the revenue versus effort is considerable
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin