Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kyle williams
    • By kyle williams 12th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kyle williams
    i own a share in a title deed i would like to sell
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    i own a share in a title deed i would like to sell 12th Mar 18 at 10:12 AM
    hello,

I own a percentage of a property project, i.e. i own 13.5% of 10 apartments. problem is the apartments are not likely to sell individually immediately or at once. is there any possible way to sell my share of the title?
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 6,581 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    Offer to sell your share to the other owners, either one of them may want a bigger single share or possibly all of them would like to slightly increase their share
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 10:32 AM
    • 17,368 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:32 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:32 AM
    Do you own 13.5% of the freehold (or headlease) of a block of ten apartments?
    Or 13.5% of the lease of each of 10 apartments within the block?

Who owns the other 86.5% of whatever? Are they in a position to buy you out?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 6,175 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    is there any possible way to sell my share of the title?
    Originally posted by kyle williams

If you can find somebody who is willing to buy it, and your current co-owner(s) cooperate with the sale - then you can sell your share.

As others say, perhaps your best bet is to see if one of your co-owners is interested in buying.

problem is the apartments are not likely to sell individually immediately or at once.
    It's difficult to judge your sentiment here.

Are you saying that the development project is in trouble? Perhaps behind schedule, over budget, feuds between co-owners?

If so, it may be very difficult to find anyone who wants to buy into 'a mess'.
    • kyle williams
    • By kyle williams 13th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kyle williams
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:38 AM
    hello eddy,

the development is completed and not in trouble i would just like to cash in without waiting for each property to sell individually. wandering if there are investors who could purchase my share and wait it out for their profit. is that clearer?
    • kyle williams
    • By kyle williams 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kyle williams
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    the other owners are in a position but they are family that I would not like to go into.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 17,368 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    So you own a share of the development finance?

It's not impossible that you can find somebody to take that on, but it's not something likely to be straightforward. How did you get in on this project finance? Private agreement with the developer?

<edit> Ah, that last bit crossed with your post 6. Family project...? That makes it even more complicated, if you don't wish to involve them.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 6,317 Posts
    • 6,175 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:41 AM
    hello eddy,

the development is completed and not in trouble i would just like to cash in without waiting for each property to sell individually. wandering if there are investors who could purchase my share and wait it out for their profit. is that clearer?
    Assuming there's no mortgages/charges etc on the title....

I guess it's possible that you might find somebody who's prepared to do this, if you search around. I've occasionally come across people who 'take a punt' on this kind of thing - when they come across somebody with dire financial problems.

But this is 'Dragon's Den' type stuff. If your share is likely to be worth 100k, they might offer you 30k to 50k for it.

(And you'd need your family's cooperation, and I'm guessing they wouldn't want that kind of person as a joint owner.)
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    hello eddy,

It will depend how much you are prepared to discount the potential return and the reasons why those 10 apartments can't/won't sell now.

Think 50%-75% return on your share at guess of full value at some time in the future.

If there is debt(mortgages) involved then that will complicate much further

Biggest problem will be finding a buyer outside the current owner pool or those with some involvement that have some understanding of the potential and owner dynamic.
    • kyle williams
    • By kyle williams 14th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kyle williams
    yes i own a share of the title and would like to move on away from the family, however I would not like to sell it to them but instead sell to an investor if you are aware of any sites or companies?
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 14th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 1,375 Thanks
    ThePants999
    What a bizarre setup. Surely they should have formed a company, and you should have owned 13.5% of the company, rather than owning 13.5% of each individual property!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 32,035 Posts
    • 19,222 Thanks
    getmore4less
    yes i own a share of the title and would like to move on away from the family, however I would not like to sell it to them but instead sell to an investor if you are aware of any sites or companies?
    They will have to agree.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 14th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 2,291 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Titles are not issued in shares.
    Is it a jointly owned company you are referring to?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 14th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Why on't you want to sell o the family members?
    Finding an investor willing to buy may be tricky - they would end up with a minority share, which is not usually a very attractive position to be in. A lot depend s on how your interest is held -are you and the other family members tenants in common with a declaration of trust, are you shareholders in a company where the company owns the freehold, and if so, is it a private or a public company. What does the shareholder agreement say about selling shares?

Selling to the other joint owners is far and away the simplest option. If you are willing to sell, why does it matter to you who buys?
    • Richard Webster
    • By Richard Webster 14th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7,436 Posts
    • 7,159 Thanks
    Richard Webster
    If you are one of the registered proprietors of the property at the Land Registry then you will need the other registered proprietors to sign any transfer of your "share" to a third party. Will they agree to this?
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin