Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FUNKYDADDIO
    • By FUNKYDADDIO 12th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 530Posts
    • 129Thanks
    FUNKYDADDIO
    Starting teh process to become a taxi driver?
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    Starting teh process to become a taxi driver? 12th Mar 18 at 9:54 AM
    Hi Guys,

As I`m going to be redundant very soon I have been considering becoming a taxi driver as a flexible way to balance childcare and employment.

Would anyone have any details as to how to become a taxi driver. Specifically I am looking for information on cost and timelines. For example how long does it take to complete your PSV and what is the cost?

What is the average insurance cost for a taxi?

And does anyone know rates for depot rent, specifically for the "big 2" and how flexible they are (would need to part time potentially) ?

Finally cars, are there age limits or other restrictions to be aware of please.

Many thanks..
Page 1
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 12th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    Hi Guys,

As I`m going to be redundant very soon I have been considering becoming a taxi driver as a flexible way to balance childcare and employment.

Would anyone have any details as to how to become a taxi driver. Specifically I am looking for information on cost and timelines. For example how long does it take to complete your PSV and what is the cost?

What is the average insurance cost for a taxi?

And does anyone know rates for depot rent, specifically for the "big 2" and how flexible they are (would need to part time potentially) ?

Finally cars, are there age limits or other restrictions to be aware of please.

Many thanks..
    Originally posted by FUNKYDADDIO
    Go for uber if you want maximum flexibility. Last taxi driver (big 2) told me depo fees were over 150 a week. He may have been exaggerating.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,179 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:32 PM
    My neighbour had to undergo EDBS checks but I'm not sure if this was because he was doing school runs.
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 12th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 2,483 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    Send an email off to the uber Belfast office detailing what you are planning to do. Again some of the drivers were getting offered crazy incentives (Again might be exaggeration on the drivers part) to go with uber. Cash incentives for insurance etc.
    • butterflymum
    • By butterflymum 13th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    butterflymum
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:21 AM
    Some useful info at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/applying-or-renewing-taxi-driving-licence and on other links within the website.
    butterfly )i(
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 16th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,669 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    steveymp
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    The new Taxi driving test is very hard for anyone who has been driving before.

Modules are getting tougher.

1. Sit up peoples a$$es with full beams on at all times and swerve round them at the last minute, not forgetting to cut them up when re-entering lane.

2. Lane hop on all motorways and dual carriageways as many times as possible.

3. The horn is an essential tool, especially in built up areas after dark to let your customers know you are waiting for them (must be used every 20 seconds until customer is in car)

4. (Most important one) forget how to use an indicator

Anyone who drives an Audi (VW or Skoda Audi wannabe also acceptable) or BMW however will have no problem with this test.
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 16th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 893 Thanks
    BigAl94
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    • 16th Mar 18, 10:33 AM
    The new Taxi driving test is very hard for anyone who has been driving before.

Modules are getting tougher.

1. Sit up peoples a$$es with full beams on at all times and swerve round them at the last minute, not forgetting to cut them up when re-entering lane.

2. Lane hop on all motorways and dual carriageways as many times as possible.

3. The horn is an essential tool, especially in built up areas after dark to let your customers know you are waiting for them (must be used every 20 seconds until customer is in car)

4. (Most important one) forget how to use an indicator

Anyone who drives an Audi (VW or Skoda Audi wannabe also acceptable) or BMW however will have no problem with this test.
    Originally posted by steveymp
    You omitted - Block any lane you like when setting down or waiting for a fare!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,592Posts Today

9,419Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin