Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kollossal
    • By Kollossal 12th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kollossal
    Parking Charge Notice help
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    Parking Charge Notice help 12th Mar 18 at 9:39 AM
    Hi

I am a university student living in private accommodation. We require a parking permit to park at the car park (UKCPS). My home address is the address linked to the car and I have received multiple parking notices , including some from debt collectors, which go back to December. No one is currently living at the home address and I only received the letters couple days ago. I do have a permit but it may have not been visible. The payments have gone up to 160 quid per notice and I have 3. I really can’t afford this and was wondering what I should do?

Thanks guys
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:49 AM
    Start by reading the Newbie Stickies at the top of the forum and you will find all the advice you need.
    • Kollossal
    • By Kollossal 12th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kollossal
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    I feel like i!!!8217;m In a different situation? Because I!!!8217;ve accidentally ignored these letters to the point where I!!!8217;m receiving debt collector letters and that it was in a permit location. They have also got photos of my car without permit and the sign.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 12th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 4,283 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:07 AM
    You are best to make at least one attempt to resolve the issue by showing them you are a permit holder.

You are showing the court (and not the parking company) that you have at least attempted to show they have no basis for a claim nor for the additional costs they attempt to add.

What do the signs actually say. Do they say "permit holders only" or "permit holders only while displaying a permit". These are actually very different rules.
    Idiots please note: If you intend NOT to read the information on the Notice of Allocation and hand a simple win to the knuckle dragging ex-clampers, then don't waste people's time with questions on a claim you'll not defend.
    • Kollossal
    • By Kollossal 12th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kollossal
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    So should I be sending a letter to UKCPS or debt collectors because this is past the !!!8216;28!!!8217;days for appeal? And is there any specifics I should add?

And it!!!8217;s permit holders when displaying a valid permit
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 4,152 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    why do you need a permit?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Kollossal
    • By Kollossal 12th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kollossal
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:22 AM
    My landlord gave me a permit and the sign in the car park says a valid permit is required?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 35,843 Posts
    • 20,081 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:25 AM
    You are too late to appeal but still send ukps the letter advised in #4

Get a certificate of posting from the post office. Keep it with a copy of the letter

Never contact debt collectors!

Follow the advice in the Newbies FAQ on the debt collectors stage which you are now in
    • Kollossal
    • By Kollossal 12th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kollossal
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    How likely is this going to court? I just suffer with a bit of anxiety and wondering if I should just pay it off
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Mar 18, 10:56 AM
    • 35,843 Posts
    • 20,081 Thanks
    Quentin
    You can see their current ratio of tickets issued to Court hearings on the bmpa website.

If no-one is at your registered address then give the PPC an alternative address to contact you.

Should they attempt court action then you could end up with a ccj against you without your knowledge that a claim was issued

They have 6 years to start legal proceedings
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 58,368 Posts
    • 71,877 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    How likely is this going to court? I just suffer with a bit of anxiety and wondering if I should just pay it off
    Originally posted by Kollossal
    You will know it is unlikely, from when you did the Google search the NEWBIES thread tells you to in post #2 of that sticky thread to find the BMPA stats about each PPC.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin