Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boring1
    • By boring1 12th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 68Posts
    • 29Thanks
    boring1
    Selling property and rising damp
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    Selling property and rising damp 12th Mar 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hi - my property is on the market and we have had an offer of 8k below asking price.
    We knew we had some damp in the front bay window and thought it was a leaking window sill which we were going to get fixed - turns out it's quite possibly rising damp. Now my neighbour coicendetally treats this for a living so will fix it for us - told us it will take about 4 weeks etc to dry out.

My question is - should I accept the lower offer on the house and say when the damp is indentified on the survey I won't negotitate any lower.

Ask for a bit more on the offer (another 3k) and say the survey will pick up a damp problems but we are happy to get it rectified.

Do I even mention the damp until it is picked up on the survey?

These questions are keeping me awake at night so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    Who says it's rising damp? And why? Your neighbour who "coincidentally" fixes it?

I think you're best placed to know where it comes from. Pictures would be good to see. Inside and outside of your bay.

If you have an issue, I think you're best to disclose it as you otherwise set yourself on the back foot with the buyer. If you get it sorted then you can focus on accepting an offer that doesn't involve the buyer setting a price on the problem. Tell them you know there is an issue and you are in the process of getting it sorted.

Is that their first offer? No one accepts the first offer, do they?
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 12-03-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 12th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:58 AM
    I am not able to upload photos yet. I have photos on my phone is there any other way I can send them?
    Thank you
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    I am not able to upload photos yet. I have photos on my phone is there any other way I can send them?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by boring1
    Upload them here

https://imgbb.com/

Insert a gap in the link you post and someone will fix it for you.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 12th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    https://ibb.co/b8xmf 7
    https://ibb.co/jioRf 7
    https://ibb.co/n16ZY S
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2,057 Posts
    • 1,382 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    Can't get your links to work, I am not sure why. Try again but with no gaps as it looks like you are allowed to link to a website
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 17,356 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:30 AM
    Ain't no such thing as "rising damp". Damp has utterly predictable common-sense causes, and every house built since Victoria was on the throne has a DPC.

Usual cause is ground levels breaching the DPC, or damaged gutters/downpipes.

Damp-proofing sales people will tell you anything.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    https://ibb.co/b8xmf7
    https://ibb.co/jioRf7
    https://ibb.co/n16ZYS
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 44,046 Posts
    • 52,148 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but my guess is it's either the window sill (as you originally thought), or the paving that's been laid right up against the external wall is too high (breachng the damp proof course).

Rising damp, as others have said, is very rare, and very often mis-diagnosed (usually in order to sell a dp product).

Who diagnosed it as rising damp? The neighbour?

Fix the window and re-paint. Remove the paving along the wall and replace with shingle to a depth of 1 foot.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 17,356 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC

Who on earth paved that? Just look at that airbrick, letting water straight into the underfloor! You can see the waterlogged nature of the render below the DPC - and the level of the DPC is immediately obvious.

<holds head in hands>

The crack in the sill won't help one bit, either. Think like water.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    As above. You've got quite a lot of general maintenance issues there.

The airbrick at that level with water being allowed to pour in is bad. The concrete right up to the wall is bad. The rendering right down to the ground is bad. The crack in the cill needs addressing.

I don't know what your neighbour does but what needs to happen is that the concrete paving is cut back about 30cm, Dig out around the bay and then back fill with pea gravel so you have a nice 150mm gap below that airbrick. Chip the render back up to above the DPC and refinish it with a bell bead finishing just above DPC level. Endure there are no cracks in the render. Chip back and re-render the whole bay if necessary.

Sort the window cill out.

Allow the wall to dry out. The internal plaster doesn't look so bad. Get a dehumidifier on it.

Always best to address these issues before selling. It shouldn't be expensive to fix but people will be froghtened by it and there's no way a surveyor won't pick up the bad work outside.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Mar 18, 1:11 PM
    • 25,000 Posts
    • 68,479 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It is not rising damp. It is bad maintenance breaching the DPC and allowing water straight through the air brick (it's called an air brick for a reason, not a water brick!) Do not have a new DPC installed.
    • boring1
    • By boring1 12th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    boring1

Who on earth paved that? Just look at that airbrick, letting water straight into the underfloor! You can see the waterlogged nature of the render below the DPC - and the level of the DPC is immediately obvious.

<holds head in hands>

The crack in the sill won't help one bit, either. Think like water.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Any idea on the rough cost of doing this? I am not in a position to do it myself.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin