Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Mar 18, 5:58 AM
    • 2,195Posts
    • 14,850Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do w/c12th March?
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:58 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c12th March? 12th Mar 18 at 5:58 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Page 1
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,850 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:05 AM
    Morning all happy new week I was awake so I thought I'd get up, have a coffee in peace and do a couple of jobs before smalls got up. DH has already left for a long day at work. My list for today:

See if an offer is still on for free p&p and order some labels for smalls clothes
    Contact lake1and as the bread thing I wat was showing up as free delivery on their website but when you add it to their basket it charges you delivery
    Go to gym
    Small shop using voucher (this is carried over from Saturday as voucher wasn't valid until today)
    Send details to cc about carpet for claim I'm making
    Work from Home, no commute
    Call leisure centre for options for dd new swimming lessons group now she's moved up a level
    Washing on, managed to peg out yesterday in between showers and got a load dry, not sure that'll happen today judging by forecast
    See if I have time to make a cake
    Something from freezer for tea
    Loaf of bread out of freezer
    Lots of work to get ahead for the week.
    Check banking, check for surveys

Off to do a few jobs.

productive day in the end. Remembered smalls friend coming for tea so made hm pizza, got half a pack of frozen mozzarella out of freezer to use up. Saved an expense at shop for tasteless shop bought ones.

Managed a cake too and stretched last of chicken from roast to a soup (made from carcass, obviously) and an orzo dish which was yummy. Have optioned some soup up for lunch tomorrow.

Managed to get some washing dry, not sure how mind but have with lots of juggling.

Also made crumble and lasagne for tea tomorrow as in laws will be cooking it, so easy for them to shove in oven.
    Last edited by PurpleFairy26; 12-03-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    Morning Thanks for starting the thread Purps

FvD good to see you yesterday. Hope your cards really take off so you can stop job hunting x

clf arrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Well done for outwardly being calm, I bet the freelancer felt terrible.

Yippee it's my day off I intend to really relax Smalls things though:

* update spending diary
    * freeze bread x 2 I picked up ys for 34p
    * look through meal plan as I didn't get out what I was planning
    * sort out larder and find wool so I can cast on 2nd sock
    * found a few things to list on fleabay
    * flylady kitchen
    * cooking dinner for the next few days - have made soup &
    veg curry, tuna fishcakes still have spaghetti and shepherds pie to go
    all done and what needs to be frozen has been. That's the evening meals done for the week
    * will chop and cook onion all together and then divide out for 4 x meals
    * check onepoll
    * get clothes ready for work tomorrow and weds
    * staying in so it'll be a NSD opps went out and stopped at the SM - got lots of ys items - including 2 blocks of cheese for 48p & 70p
    * make a small shopping list to account for dd coming for dinner next weekend. Going to make roast. Was going to make lamb but just realised I have a joint of pork in the freezer

yesterday I was looking through a discount page via working for the nhs and picked up a pandora charm for my bff's birthday for £10 including delivery

Ok that will do I think. No doubt there will be various very small things done along the way

Happy new week guys!
    Last edited by determined new ms; 12-03-2018 at 7:57 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 12th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:59 AM
    Morning all,
    Today's frugal plans:
    *Overnight laundry about to go on heated airer. Will do a quick 30 min at 30 deg wash then reload & set timer for final half price wash tonight.
    *Rubber chicken. Roast dinner yesterday. Intend to get another 3 days of meals out of the leftovers.
    *Bake a wholemeal loaf.
    *Feed sourdough jar.
    *List ebay items.
    *Do a couple of fund swaps to keep budgets straight.
    *Write birthday letter to friend. Card from stores. Select card from stores for another friend too.
    *Water seedlings. Tomatoes coming up nicely in my old YS little heated propagator.
    *Make packed lunch & packed breakfast for tomorrow.
    *Easter planning, esp my contribution to family buffet & some home made gifts.
    *Check for surveys.
    *Continue knitting thrift project.
    *Continue monitoring cat in hope of avoiding vet visit. He seems ok but yesterday was worrying.
    *IF it dries up outside, clean greenhouse glass.....good food crops need good light.
    *NSD
    *Make a list of everything I can usefully do in town tomorrow while I have the car. I have a meeting so as I have to pay for parking anyway, I may as well get some annoying little odds & sods done which have been dropping off the list.
    *No downstairs heating going on until at least 5.30.
    Ok. Will make a start. Here's to a productive week, Frugalistas. So nice not to be lergyfied any more. 2 weeks of lergy & a 3rd week of tiredness. If you & yours still have it, hope this is the week it clears off.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £259
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,665 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:04 AM
    Hi March Money Magicians,

Thanks for starting PF.

Waiting on "man" coming to do a boiler gas safety check. He'll be here between "8am and 1pm". Grrr.

Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Converted £5 of Nectar points to eBay voucher. Then discovered I have to spend a minimum of £10 on eBay to spend it. Not happy about that. Admittedly it's in the Ts and Cs so I don't have a leg to stand on.

* Go for a Bike & Go cycle.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 12-03-2018 at 9:36 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: £50

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 103.49 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 23,802 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:14 AM
    Good Morning All

PF - Thanks for starting us off today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Dull, dreary and very wet so today is a great day to get lots of indoor jobs done Today we have/will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Ironing -
    Strip & remake our bed -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Make £5 per day in Jan 18: £491.91/£155 Make £5 per day in Feb 18: £51.40/£140 Make £5 per day in Mar 18: £150.36/£155 Make £5 per day in Apr 18: £93.25/3150 Make £5 per day in May 18: £8/£155 Make £5 per day in June 18: £13.04/£150
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 12th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    little pink purse
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    morning every one

back to work i go grrr

today's to do
    checking banking
    work
    wash on
    all meals from stores
    nsd

have a great day xxxlppxxx
    nsd may /10
    feb fuel and food budget £350.00

debt total highest £66k now £65k
    FIRST DEBT TO BLAST £2142.95 /
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 5,055 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    Morning all
    Dull sort of day, and it keeps randomly pouring with rain
    Hope it clears up so I can peg out some washing! It kept on raining unfortunately
    I too have a 'waiting in for the boiler man' day Foxgloves, though he did say he is coming at 2pm Also waiting for a Freecycler, and the MyHermes courier to pick up a We Buy Books parcel, At least the man who is going to service our camper van has now arrived and taken it away! All sorted except for the freecycler who is apparently coming tomorrow now

Other things:
    Put one of the loaves OH bought yesterday in freezer. No idea why he bought 2, but saved for another time as we don't do food waste here! (Done)
    DD has threatened a visit with both kids in tow - so not many other things then!Very little else done!
    Cleaned bathroom, whizzed around with hoover and washed kitchen and bathroom floors (Done, phew!)
    Must get small handheld vacuum cleaner down to do the mats in the kitchen and conservatory, once kitchen floor is dry. Not done yet
    Spendy day due to the boiler and camper van but no plans to visit any shops or buy anything! Boiler service ok, will need more work next year. Camper van inspection done, will need more pricey work done But probably not more than lots of people would spend on a holiday.
    Will peg washing out on line if it decides to stop raining It didn't
    Bits from fridge for lunch DD had made lunch for everyone, and bought it with her
    Leftovers from last night will do for dinner Just had a sandwich, as still pretty full up from DD's (slimming world) lunch!
    Might sow some seeds later, if I get the chance! No chance!
    Checked banks
    Updated spreadsheet
    RM surveys tasks - they have a horrible new web platform
    Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by DawnW; 12-03-2018 at 7:38 PM.
    NSDs for June 9 / 10
    Groceries / cleaning / toiletries / pet food etc £227.30 / £250
    Fuel 99.95 / £100

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,067 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    Morning folks

Hugs to any poorly folk and cuddles for Albert Whiskers!

Feeling a bit funny this morning with my ear but weirdly mid-morning is often a bad time for it???

Was pleased to get on the scales and notice that the 2 weeks of getting back on track with my drinking have helped and I'm 2lb down, back towards normal weight.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • No alcohol - done
    • Washing not out on line - it's destined to pi$$ down all day here. - done
    • Gym at lunchtime - done. That was spicy.
    • Sow peas... must do this - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 13-03-2018 at 8:16 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Mar 18, 11:30 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 7,721 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,

Thanks for the start PF.

Same old same old from me today but its these small things each day that help, right?!

ys bread for ds1s breakfast Done
    Ds2 to free school breakfast Done
    Gym session - refilled water bottle there Done
    Brunch at home of omelette with some leftover sausage meat in plus the leftover mushy peas from yesterdays lunch. - sounds tasted Done
    Check banking/update spreadsheet Done
    Set up DD for car tax for dh's car Done
    Record cars mileage - helps when I come to renewing car insurance later in the month Done
    Make families lunches for tomorrow - again will use the smaller box for ds2 Done
    Clean yankee candle car - still on the list but it WILL get done today Done
    Wash 2 loads on the quick 30 degree wash 1 load done
    Radiator shuffle washing for later as its very wet here, heating not going on until this evening though Done
    Sew ds1s bag, ds2s coat and trousers, sew a button back onto my coat and sew up a hole in my pajama jumper - another job I need to get off my list today Done
    Spot clean carpet after ds2 spilt some blackcurrent squash on it and didn't tell me straight away Done
    Share bath water and continue using up lotions and potions - leave hair to dry naturally Done
    Update freezer inventory and meal plan the next few days based on what we have in Done
    Do my headspace app as I've let this slip whilst not feeling good - exactly what I SHOULD have been doing when my head wasn't right I know! Done
    Order ds1 some more books from the library as he's rereading books he's read dozens of times! Done, not sure that he'll like what I've ordered but worth a try and it costs us nothing!
    Tonights meal will be leftovers, me and the kids will have it with pasta and dh will have it with the last of yesterdays mashed potato. Two more big pots gone from the fridge! Done, so a part tin of beans have gone in the spag bol, the kids have finished off a macaron and the last of the rocky road ds1 made, the pot of mash will be gone soon. Will clean the fridge out soon as its quite empty
    Moved some money around to make sure I've fulfilled switch bonus criteria - should be an extra £125 to us- which nearly covers the trip money we had to fork out for ds2

That's my starter, have a good day all.

Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 12-03-2018 at 7:13 PM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 12th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,067 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    OH texted to say that one of the windscreen wipers has stopped working. Booked into the garage tomorrow.

In other news, if you see how a freelancer was murdered during work by a crazed employee who suffocated him with her gym socks. It was me.
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 12-03-2018 at 5:55 PM.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,665 Thanks
    allydowd
    In other news, if you see how a freelancer was murdered during work by a crazed employee who suffocated him with her gym socks. It was me.
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    On the one hand......on the other hand...

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 12th Mar 18, 9:32 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 7,721 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    RM surveys tasks - they have a horrible new web platform
    Originally posted by DawnW
    hmmm doesn't sound good, I'm on a break from them at the minute but had an email from them the other day to say they're sending out to me again from April.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 12th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 10,971 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Purplefairy Thanks for starting this weeks thread

I'm shattered, I'll try and post properly tomorrow.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Mar 18, 3:05 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,652 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Thanks for the start, Purps, we appear to burning the candle at different ends!

I went out for our usual Monday fish and chips with my mum today and then took her to the supermarket, I didn't spend anything.

Rushed back excitedly to pick up the next batch of cards only to find they'd printed them on the wrong card. They are reprinting tomorrow and it looks like I get the keep the others too but I wouldn't sell them as the card is a bit thin and cheap looking, I have no idea what to with them!

While I was at my mum's I printed out everything I need to apply for the LA start up grant, it's all done and in an envelope ready to drop off tomorrow.

Tomorrow (today) I plan to finish my list of things that need doing in the house, not much left to do. I am going to visit a new DIY store to get more bulbs just in case the ones I have are duds and not the light fittings (they *were* reduced when I bought them so I suppose it's a possibility.)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Mar 18, 6:01 AM
    • 6,859 Posts
    • 40,212 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Back to work today - ouch it seems harsh the week after my weekend to only have 1 day off before going back for 2...

Today:

* hang up washing before leaving. Put another load on and set timer
    * cook pasta (for oh's lunch) and broccoli for mine
    * gather together the rest of my lunch
    * wash hair (nearly always leave to dry anyway)
    * work hard - have set myself a couple of goals for this week
    * check onepoll
    * check banking
    * print off a couple of mocs (from the freebies board)
    * go through fridge to make sure nothing gets wasted

Ok that's all I'll get done. Happy Tuesday guys x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 13-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Mar 18, 7:39 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 14,850 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning determined and all who follow

Been a productive morning so far:
    Stripped one bed and in wash already
    Dishwasher emptied and put back on, kitchen cleaned
    Shuffled last of washing from yesterday and last coat that got soaked on the School run to dry
    Packed lunches x 3
    Boiled last 2 eggs for snack today and tomorrow
    Checked banking

Still to do:
    Check through fridge for anything on the turn
    Check meal planner, think I have something in fridge for DH and I. Smalls will have what I made yesterday
    Quick tidy round
    Try and get to gym tonight if I'm not back too late
    Feed sourdough so I can make bread finally
    Water herbs on window sill
    Put a load of washing away
    Set a secondary amount we'd like to have left at end of month and target that so we can pay to LPDF
    Sew on 2 badges for smalls rainbow uniform

In fact must go and do sewing now as need to do it before work. Have a good day folks.
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th Mar 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 12,067 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks!

My freelancer is off today!

I hope any poorlies are better

Foxgloves - I hope that puss has perked up?

Fought off laziness last night and cooked dinner after all. And sowed the peas.

Not much to report today:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • No alcohol
    • Gym at lunchtime
    • Wash on
    • Work VERY hard. I have a tonne to do today.
    • Car to the garage for windscreen wiper. Hope not too expensive.
    Have a good one all

clf x

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th Mar 18, 11:06 AM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 26,665 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi March Money Magicians,

A much needed day off today.

Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Today is "Operation Kitchen". We moved in 6 months ago and pretty much just threw all our kitchen stuff in the cupboards. We're not making good use of the space and some of our food is being stored outwith the kitchen. I've also got no idea what kitchen items we still own and what we got rid of when we moved.
    I've twice vowed that I'm going to sort it and haven't. So, I'm going to the Library and then I'm coming back to fix it one cupboard at a time. Wish me luck, I'm finding the thought of this quite stressful.

To live without risk is to risk not living.

• LiveLifeFull
    • By LiveLifeFull 13th Mar 18, 11:43 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LiveLifeFull
    My first post here!
    Hi everyone!

I hope you don't mind me joining in, but I need to hold myself accountable. I work 9-5 mon-fri, but when I get home I just cant be bothered to do anything, so I NEED to make a list, and hopefully you guys can keep me in check.

TO DO LIST
    - Hoover all of downstairs DIDNT DO
    - Mop kitchen and bathroom DIDNT DO
    - Tidy living room/kitchen/bathroom DONEISH
    - Clean the washing machine DONE
    - Polish living room DIDNT DO
    - Get any cobwebs if any DIDNT DO
    - Put dry washing away DIDNT DO
    - Dinner from stores & clean up afterwards DONE
    - Lunch for tomorrow from stores & clean up afterwards DONE
    - Pick up clothes washing from parents and hang (our washing machine is currently broken) DONE
    - Paint my nails, pluck my eyebrows, cleanse, tone and moisturise (making my way through stores) DIDNT DO
    - Read a book (not buying anymore new books until I have read all my own! DIDNT DO
    - Go through bank accounts with OH DONE

Hope its okay that I've joined in today!
    Last edited by LiveLifeFull; 14-03-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    My CC - Feb 18 £849.69 Mar 18 £839.95 Apr 18 £705.78
    My OD - Feb 18 £1250.00 Mar 18 £1250.00 Apr 18 £1250.00
    OH CC - Feb 18 £976.00 Mar 18 £901.00 Apr 18 £802.00
    OH OD - Feb 18 £500.00 Mar 18 £500.00 Apr 18 £500.00
    TOTAL OD/CC DEBT: Feb 18 £3575.69 Mar 18 £3490.95 Apr 18 £3257.78
    OD/CC DEBT FREE DATE: OCTOBER 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter