Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AM111
    • By AM111 12th Mar 18, 2:48 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    AM111
    Late appeal for MET parking charge
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:48 AM
    Late appeal for MET parking charge 12th Mar 18 at 2:48 AM
    Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me.

I received a PCN for an apparent breach of parking rules at BP in Stansted on 24th December 2017, and after I tried to send a late appeal by post (after the 14 days), I received no response, until two reminders to pay 100 that I have just found while belatedly opening a stack of post.

My grounds for appeal were/are as follows:

1) I was not the driver. If there are photographs showing the driver, this will be obvious, for gender/name/age reasons. (In fact, I was late responding initially because I thought it was a mistake or a scam, as I was unaware the driver had been at Stansted that day)

2) I have spoken to the driver, who insists that there was no obvious signage, and they spent the whole time in the car (stopped for a phone call) looking out of the front and saw nothing showing parking restrictions.

3) I am not sure the first charge was received within 14 days of the offence, although I can't find the letter at the moment, so it is difficult to confirm.

4) Perhaps not so relevant, but I am 63, rather forgetful, and I really struggle with these kinds of matters and generally with organising such administrative affairs (hence finding the two reminders I have received rather late). My son has helped me by showing me this site and talking me through this process.

I tried to use the website just now and cannot enter an appeal any longer, and it seems it is too late to get POPLA involved. Is there anything I can do, or even any way I can contact MET parking by phone or email.

It seems very unfair to charge 100 - the driver was there for what he estimates was 30 mins when the place was largely empty at 9.30am, had no idea there was a restriction, says the signage was poor, and I am not a rich woman.

Any helpful comments or advice would be welcome and warmly appreciated.

Thank you,

A
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    • 35,554 Posts
    • 19,751 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:02 AM
    Everyone is politely asked to read up on this in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread

Go there now to get an understanding of the game you are now caught up in

Now you are too late for appeals.

You are in the debt collectors stage. All explained in the FAQ.

Ignore everything except a lbcca or Court correspondence. Come back for advice on how to defend this if it comes to that

They have 6 years to start legal proceedings

Don't contact them at all now!!
    • AM111
    • By AM111 12th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AM111
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

We actually read a good portion of the stickies but hadn't got to the debt collector stage or beyond, since we hadn't had one of those letters yet. We have now been through it all in more detail, and it seems like there are various possible outcomes.

I am happy to take your advice and do nothing for now, but I just have a couple of questions arising from what we've now read.

1) In the unlikely event that we do eventually lose in court, can you tell me how much we would be likely to end up paying. Would it be the value of the original charge, or the increased charge at the debt collector stage, or can it increase to hundreds or thousands to account for costs and legal expenses?

2) Could it still be worth taking one of the approaches outlined below - taken from the FAQs:

"...and here's a case (link below) where a strong response to ParkingEye when they were nearly at court stage, pulled it back to a POPLA appeal stage even though ParkingEye had already stated (wrongly) that it was 'too late' for POPLA. It is NOT too late for POPLA, insist on it and they can't easily take it to court. You can make their position very difficult - and maybe a POPLA code and rejection letter will follow as it did here. months after the parking event:"

Is it worth trying to make this happen now, prior even to the first debt collector letter?

OR

"Most fake PCNs can be cancelled if it is a retailer car park, simply by COMPLAINING! If you go for the complaint assertively and quickly you won't even have to bother with any of the above appeals/POPLA stuff!"

It was at a BP petrol station rather than a retail park, but there was a shop with an M&S food section (from which the driver bought food), so we wonder if it would be worth appealing to BP or M&S, in line with the section copied above?

I am the son of the original poster writing this time. I don't live with my mother, but I should be here frequently enough to check mail and keep up with our obligations. I am just a little concerned that my mother might be rather stressed by the whole process, so I want to understand the full array of options and outcomes.

Thanks again for your help.

Son of A
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 57,301 Posts
    • 70,914 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    MET do not do court.

We win 99% of well defended cases, so if MET tried, you'd likely win with our advice.

can it increase to hundreds or thousands to account for costs and legal expenses?
    Hypothetically, if you lose at a court hearing (won't happen) you'd pay about 150 - 200 max. So no, it cannot increase ridiculously. Nor do you ''get a CCJ'' unless you ignore/miss court letters or orders.

I don't live with my mother, but I should be here frequently enough to check mail and keep up with our obligations. I am just a little concerned that my mother might be rather stressed by the whole process,
    Where there is a vulnerable person at home who MIGHT panic and pay when they see some daft debt collector threatogram, I suggest you supply a DIFFERENT postal address to the PPC now, in writing, so the letters go to someone more robust (which will open them and pass them to you without panicking), or get the letters sent directly to your current address.

Remove the possibility of mother paying. NOW.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 9,203 Posts
    • 8,967 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:02 PM
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They nearly always lose) and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • AM111
    • By AM111 14th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AM111
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    • 14th Mar 18, 1:08 PM
    Many thanks again for the responses. Reassuring and helpful. I will act on all recommendations, including writing a letter to our MP when I have a moment.

Thank you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin