Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • toddy111
    • By toddy111 12th Mar 18, 12:59 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    toddy111
    Is there such a thing as a "card statement"?
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:59 AM
    Is there such a thing as a "card statement"? 12th Mar 18 at 12:59 AM
    I recently changed banks and therefore changed debit cards.

I tried to withdraw some money from an online bookies, and was informed that I needed to provide them with a photo of my card as a security verification (I can black out 8 of the numbers for my own peace of mind. I sent them a photo of the card that I topped up my account with and it is also linked to the bank account that I was trying to withdraw money to. I was informed that they needed a photo of the card that I signed up with (from the old bank). I told them that this isn't possible as I no longer have this card. I was told that i need to request a "card statement" from my previous bank which had the card number on it.

I would have thought that I can probably obtain previous bank statements (but these do not have the card number on). Does anyone know if this is possible as the bookies are withholding my withdrawal until I provide this?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 12th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2,353 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:48 AM
    I have never heard of a debit card statement.
    Suggest you obtain a copy of the bank statement showing the original sign up transaction. Sometimes the last 4 digits of the card number are shown on the statement next to the transaction.
    Where is the old debit card? Did you cut it up or what?
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:06 AM
    This is a difficult one. Paying money in on one card and withdrawing to another is a very obvious way of shifting dodgy money about (money laundering), and the behaviour shown by the online bookies is exactly what I would have expected. Obviously, you should have withdrawn any outstanding funds to your old account before closing it and changed your payment details.
    I don't know the amount we are talking about here, but I imagine you will have to jump through quite a few hoops to get your money back.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • toddy111
    • By toddy111 12th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    toddy111
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:28 AM
    When I closed the account, I handed the card back.
    • toddy111
    • By toddy111 12th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    toddy111
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    Shakin Steve

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, I couldn't have withdrawn the money onto my old account because this is money that I have deposited and subsequently won AFTER I have changed accounts.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 93,048 Posts
    • 60,443 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    Debit cards do have a statement. Its your current account statement. The person you spoke to seems to think its a credit card (where you get a credit card statement).

Your old current account statement will have the sort code and account number on it which would match the bottom of your old debit card. However, the middle number wont appear on the current account statement.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 12th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:54 AM
    Debit cards do have a statement. Its your current account statement. The person you spoke to seems to think its a credit card (where you get a credit card statement).

Your old current account statement will have the sort code and account number on it which would match the bottom of your old debit card. However, the middle number wont appear on the current account statement.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Just to note that NatWest debit cards only show the sort code and not the account number. This would probably apply also to RBS and Ulster Bank current accounts.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 12th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 1,456 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:49 AM
    Shakin Steve

Thanks for your reply.

The thing is, I couldn't have withdrawn the money onto my old account because this is money that I have deposited and subsequently won AFTER I have changed accounts.
    Originally posted by toddy111
    That doesn't make sense. If you deposited it from your new debit card, then it should be withdrawn on to that card. I obviously misunderstood your first post. People change bank accounts all the time, and it's unreasonable of them to expect you to have details of your old account. I would ask them about their complaints procedure and, if the matter cannot be resolved that way, make contact with one of the organisations below:

http://www.thegoodgamblingguide.co.uk/information.htm
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 12-03-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 2,005 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:01 PM
    I was told that i need to request a "card statement" from my previous bank which had the card number on it.
    Originally posted by toddy111
    Have you tried this? Just a thought.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • toddy111
    • By toddy111 12th Mar 18, 7:05 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    toddy111
    Thanks everyone for your input. Very helpful!

EssexExile - I haven't tried it yet as I have to go out my way a bit to get to the bank so thought I'd see what you guys thought of this first!

Shakin Steve - I'll try as you suggest if I can't get anything from my bank. Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,803Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin