Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 11th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    • 492Posts
    • 67Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Nearly new cars: where's the catch?
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:46 PM
    Nearly new cars: where's the catch? 11th Mar 18 at 11:46 PM
    I have found a 'nearly new' car I'm interested in. It's on sale at the official dealer, is less than 12 months old (67 plate), 4,000 miles, and with ca. 3 years of remaining official warranty from the manufacturer.

Why would cars so 'young' ever be on sale? I thought of a write off, but it's not classified as a Cat S/D/C/N .

Maybe it's an ex-demo? The company car of someone who resigned / was fired / died less than a year after getting the car?

I am sceptical, but I'm hoping that the official warranty should give me some peace of mind.

Thoughts? Would you consider a car like this or is the risk of a lemon too high?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 12:20 AM
    • 44,114 Posts
    • 52,303 Thanks
    G_M
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:20 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:20 AM
    I kept my last new car 2 months.

Didn't like it so traded it in. It was a beautiful car, nothing wrong with it, just not for me...
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    harz99
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    Sounds like demo/staff hack/pre reg to keep sales figures up, or someone didn't like the car they bought.

Have you seen the reg document and service book? Are there several of the same for sale at the dealer?
    • Equi
    • By Equi 12th Mar 18, 12:47 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:47 AM
    I wish i had asked why my "new" year old car was now for sale, as it has now been in the shop for 4 weeks and counting because of starting battery issues, timing chain issues, engine issues that dont seem to want to resolve.

Thank god for warranty.

I got a new car pcp cause i was fed up of buying a car i could afford in full that i had to then pay to fix this nd that! SO im glad i have the warranty, at least.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Mar 18, 12:47 AM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,629 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Why not ask them? Preferably by email so you have a written record of what you were told (in case it turns out not to be the case). Also ask them what works been done to the car.

Could be an ex-fleet car - they don't always have huge mileage.

Just make sure the wear on the car (pedals, steering wheel, gear stick etc) match the mileage and check for known faults with that model.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 12th Mar 18, 6:04 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:04 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:04 AM
    Lots of reasons.

There are a few idiots who like having new cars.

Some large companies get amazing deals on buying cars which are so discounted that the cheapest way to run a fleet is to replace them every few months. Going back quite a few years, it was a pain to have a NatWest company car as you might have to have it replaced every 3 months if they got a buyer.

Hire cars - the big firms tend to run new cars as it is what their customers like.

Dealers and manufacturers run their own cars for their own use (courtesy cars, demonstrators, management cars) and sell them on after a while.

I bought my car as a "management car", about 9k miles, 12 months old and about 35% of new list price, which I reckon was about 25% off a typical best discount I could negotiate as a private buyer. Apart from some bumper scuffs on the rear bumper under the load, it was as new with manufacturer's warranty. The only "fault" I've had with it has been a failing battery and the side effects that go with that (which are quite a lot!). Just over 5 years old now and essentially still as new at 40k miles.
    • tho
    • By tho 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    tho
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    Some people really do insist on having the latest number plate, so every 6 months without fail the cars get returned. Also possibility it's a demo car.

You'll probably be fine, warranty is still valid and it could just be a good deal. My car was a pre registered with 40 miles on the clock, so I got 25% of list price, with the only catch being I was the second owner on the log book. The dealership was the first.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    Thanks. Would you pay for a pre purchase inspection by the likes of the AA or RAC (ca. 200), or would you think there's no need, given the warranty?
    • tho
    • By tho 12th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    tho
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:34 AM
    As its from the dealer you should be fine without. Tbh depends how comfortable you feel with it.

Do the checks yourself (bodywork, tyres wear on pedals etc) and see if it matches what you're expecting. If you don't feel happy, then maybe spend the money.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 12th Mar 18, 7:51 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    benten69
    In 2014 we purchased a nearly new car from the same dealership who supplied it originally. Not had a single issue with it. Brilliant car at a fraction of the new price, win-win all round. No catch at all and even though we purchased from London our local dealership in Scotland has been good when it came to covering a bit of external trim that started to corrode under warranty and covering recalls.
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I have found a 'nearly new' car I'm interested in. It's on sale at the official dealer, is less than 12 months old (67 plate)
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    So 6.5mo at the oldest.

4,000 miles, and with ca. 3 years of remaining official warranty from the manufacturer.

Why would cars so 'young' ever be on sale? I thought of a write off, but it's not classified as a Cat S/D/C/N .

Maybe it's an ex-demo? The company car of someone who resigned / was fired / died less than a year after getting the car?
    By far and away the single largest source of such near-new cars is rental fleets. Whether you consider this a bad thing or not is up to you.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 16,627 Posts
    • 9,815 Thanks
    motorguy
    I have found a 'nearly new' car I'm interested in. It's on sale at the official dealer, is less than 12 months old (67 plate), 4,000 miles, and with ca. 3 years of remaining official warranty from the manufacturer.

I am sceptical, but I'm hoping that the official warranty should give me some peace of mind.

Thoughts? Would you consider a car like this or is the risk of a lemon too high?
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    Chances are its a demo car, or possibly an ex hire car (although less likely with those low miles)
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 16,627 Posts
    • 9,815 Thanks
    motorguy
    Why not ask them? Preferably by email so you have a written record of what you were told (in case it turns out not to be the case). Also ask them what works been done to the car.

Could be an ex-fleet car - they don't always have huge mileage.

Just make sure the wear on the car (pedals, steering wheel, gear stick etc) match the mileage and check for known faults with that model.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    +1

Absolutely ask the dealer for information on who owned it previously.

And DONT just accept their word - ask to see the V5C. A lot will say "ex management car", when it in reality was an ex hire car.

Not an issue per se - but best to ask and know, rather than find out later.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Mar 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    In March 2015 we bought a used 1 month old BMW 116i Series 1 Sport from a BMW dealer in Surrey.

It was first registered in February 2015 and had only 220 miles on it. Yes, that is only 220 miles.

The first registered owner was a woman in Cardiff, Wales.

The on the road list price in February was over 23k. We paid just under 17k. Someone has taken a big hit in depreciation for a few miles.

We have no idea why it was sold on so quickly. Maybe she didn't like it. Maybe she lost her income. Maybe she died. There are many possible valid reasons.

We like the car and have had no issues over the last three years and 16,000 miles.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 12th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    At our local posh car dealer they have a premium car floor. A few years back a group of us did an evening visit. They had several Aston Martins which had more than 5 owners and less than 10,000 miles. Definitely a car that was heart over head. Similar story on Bentleys.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 17,395 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    AdrianC
    In March 2015 we bought a used 1 month old BMW 116i Series 1 Sport from a BMW dealer in Surrey.

It was first registered in February 2015 and had only 220 miles on it. Yes, that is only 220 miles.

We have no idea why it was sold on so quickly.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    The most likely is that she never took delivery of it. Perhaps it was simply not the ordered specification, and nobody realised until after it had been registered?
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 12th Mar 18, 3:19 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    There's no catch. There's plenty pre-regs and nearly-new cars. They might be coming from employees fleets that use cars for 6 months only, might be ex-demo or just pre-reg to achieve the quota. 4000 miles car is probably ex-demo/dealer car.

If you look at Autotrader you will find hundreds and thousands of cars like these.

In past I bough 1 year Toyota which was registered to Toyota before and was employee car and later 4 months old ex-demo VW. Both were fine, however VW needed new front tyres earlier than expected.

If you plan to finance the car, it's worth checking if brand new one with discount won't be cheaper. Finance for used cars is more expensive and discounts can take you to the same price level as pre-reg car's price.
    Last edited by Penelopa.Pitstop; 12-03-2018 at 3:22 PM.

• Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3,240 Posts
    • 8,530 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    The most likely is that she never took delivery of it. Perhaps it was simply not the ordered specification, and nobody realised until after it had been registered?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    That is also possible. Whatever the reason we got a good deal.

I've only ever bought one new car in my life. I usually buy nearly new although never before have I found one with such a low mileage.

OP, if the car is a good deal and checks out, go for it.

4,000 miles is nothing much and you have 3 years manufacturer's warranty.

The risk of it being dodgy or being a lemon are very low. Any inherent faults should have shown up by now and been remedied.

Good luck.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 12th Mar 18, 8:39 PM
    • 12,588 Posts
    • 11,239 Thanks
    jimjames
    The on the road list price in February was over 23k. We paid just under 17k. Someone has taken a big hit in depreciation for a few miles.
    Originally posted by Head The Ball
    List price might be 23k but it's possible that no-one paid anywhere near that. After looking at new cars last year the sort of discounts available was quite incredible with over 30% off list price (not BMW mind)
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 8,990 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    My neighbour has a new car every 6 months. Just waiting for the 18 plate to turn up
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin