Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 11th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    • 851Posts
    • 32Thanks
    wallofbeans
    BT YouView+ box VS Ultra HD box
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:14 PM
    BT YouView+ box VS Ultra HD box 11th Mar 18 at 11:14 PM
    Hi All,

Any advice on the BT YouView Ultra HD box - is it any better than the standard YouView+ box, other than the potential for watching some 4k content?

Thanks,
Page 1
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 12th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:37 PM
    I have one of each but no UHD TV set so watch HD from either box on Panasonic plasma TV's. If anything the UHD box is more particular about signal strength than the Youview+ box - but believe it or not it's a problem when the signal strength is too high on FTA channels that come via your terrestrial aerial rather than via your router. However, the Youview+ box periodically goes TU, has to be powered off for 30 seconds then powered up - and then takes minutes to wake up, something that has (touch wood) not happened with the UHD box (although we use the YV+ box far more).
    My teresstrial aerial has a masthead amp, signal then feeds to a distribution amp then to 3 places round the house. I've had to install attenuators on the back of both BTTV boxes as I was getting too much signal - especially noticeable on FTA HD channels, no problem on FTA SD channels. Well known problem if you look on the BT forum.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 12th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:52 PM
    I have one of each but no UHD TV set so watch HD from either box on Panasonic plasma TV's. If anything the UHD box is more particular about signal strength than the Youview+ box - but believe it or not it's a problem when the signal strength is too high on FTA channels that come via your terrestrial aerial rather than via your router. However, the Youview+ box periodically goes TU, has to be powered off for 30 seconds then powered up - and then takes minutes to wake up, something that has (touch wood) not happened with the UHD box (although we use the YV+ box far more).
    My teresstrial aerial has a masthead amp, signal then feeds to a distribution amp then to 3 places round the house. I've had to install attenuators on the back of both BTTV boxes as I was getting too much signal - especially noticeable on FTA HD channels, no problem on FTA SD channels. Well known problem if you look on the BT forum.
    Originally posted by Chrishazle
    Is the quality of picture or sound improved on the SD or HD channels of the Ultra box? I wonder if it using a faster processor or anything else that makes it generally run a little better?

Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin