Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 11th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    • 728Posts
    • 1,069Thanks
    Tealblue
    'Best offer' query
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:39 PM
    'Best offer' query 11th Mar 18 at 10:39 PM
    This seems a bit of a daft question to ask, but...

I listed an item of jewellery this afternoon at a BIN price which was a bit higher than I'd be happy to accept, meaning there was scope to use the 'best offer' facility. Two potential buyers made offers, both of which were rejected automatically (one was 10% of the asking price, the other 33%!).

I've now had messages from each of them asking me what my 'best price' is. Surely the idea is that they tell me their best price - or is it now commonplace to make a counter offer? The item has attracted quite a lot of interest - over 50 views in four hours - and it seems rather unfair to other people to do that, but if it's par for the course, so be it. I know what I'd be happy to accept.
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 11th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:24 PM
    Is it still the case buyers can only make 3 offers in total? Perhaps just trying to gauge your price level without wasting more offer chances?
    Suppose you either ignore, or give them a price slightly above your minimum, but lower than the BIN - at least you'll weed them out if they're not serious.
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 11th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 20,651 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:30 PM
    If you have that much interest already I'd leave it as it stands for at least a few days before accepting offers, especially from chancers!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • November2
    • By November2 12th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    November2
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:03 AM
    10% doesn't seem too much to ask, why didn't you counter offer them? 10% is a very good offer in fact. Best Offer is mostly a waste of time as you will get a lot of silly offers. As you have so many potentially interested buyers you might as well just list at your actual asking price.
    Hope you are aware jewellery can be a field day for scammers on Ebay, make sure your selling preferences are set high, send by correct postage method and if anything doesn't feel right go with your gut instinct!
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 12th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 1,938 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    10% doesn't seem too much to ask, why didn't you counter offer them? 10% is a very good offer in fact. Best Offer is mostly a waste of time as you will get a lot of silly offers. As you have so many potentially interested buyers you might as well just list at your actual asking price.
    Hope you are aware jewellery can be a field day for scammers on Ebay, make sure your selling preferences are set high, send by correct postage method and if anything doesn't feel right go with your gut instinct!
    Originally posted by November2
    I think the OP reads as '10% of the asking price' not 10% off the asking price.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 12th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 5,067 Thanks
    RFW
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:12 PM

I've now had messages from each of them asking me what my 'best price' is. Surely the idea is that they tell me their best price - or is it now commonplace to make a counter offer? The item has attracted quite a lot of interest - over 50 views in four hours - and it seems rather unfair to other people to do that, but if it's par for the course, so be it. I know what I'd be happy to accept.
    Originally posted by Tealblue
    It's up to you whether you want to tell them. Some choose to some don't. You could guide rather than say, something along the lines of "I was waiting to see what kind of offers I received but was hoping to get as close to the asking price as possible, if not the actual asking price". It's surprising that someone who offers 10% of the asking price may well be happy to pay 95% of the asking price.

With quite so much interest you may be better with an auction but no real way of knowing that.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 12th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 1,069 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    Replies all much appreciated; thank you. Happily the item sold at the BIN price (and will be sent using appropriately insured courier who carries jewellery - really appreciate the pointer on that). There person who thought they might get a 90% discount was doomed to disappointment....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

5,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin