Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Markh19999
    • By Markh19999 11th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Markh19999
    Manchester Piccadilly protest
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    Manchester Piccadilly protest 11th Mar 18 at 10:34 PM
    I was on a train from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport
    Today. 11th March 12.16. 13.30

It left Manchester Oxford Road at about 13.00 when it came to a stop and stayed that way until 15.30 because of a protest on the track. They transfered everybody to a diesel train and took us the few meters to Piccadilly (not Manchester Airport) . I jumped straight into a taxi for Manchester Airport but missed my flight scheduled for 16.25.

We sat there for over 2 hours and obviously weren't allowed to leave. If we were I'd have easily made the flight finding alternative travel arrangements.

Got told about a controlled evacuation that was supposed to happen at 14.10 but it never did. We were about 100 yards from Piccadilly and not that far from Oxford Road.

I'd already paid for flights/ hotel and missed it because the people I'd paid to get me there were effectively holding me hostage (bit much, but I couldn't leave!)

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 7,210 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:58 PM
    You may be in luck.

Today is the first day that you are able to claim for consequential loss from a train operation company.

This MSE article may help, but as it says:
    ... getting firms to fork out for these expenses in future is unlikely to be easy.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    But the delay needs to be down to the train company to stand a chance.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    • 33,453 Posts
    • 28,353 Thanks
    custardy
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:59 AM
    I was on a train from Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport
    Today. 11th March 12.16. 13.30

It left Manchester Oxford Road at about 13.00 when it came to a stop and stayed that way until 15.30 because of a protest on the track. They transfered everybody to a diesel train and took us the few meters to Piccadilly (not Manchester Airport) . I jumped straight into a taxi for Manchester Airport but missed my flight scheduled for 16.25.

We sat there for over 2 hours and obviously weren't allowed to leave. If we were I'd have easily made the flight finding alternative travel arrangements.

Got told about a controlled evacuation that was supposed to happen at 14.10 but it never did. We were about 100 yards from Piccadilly and not that far from Oxford Road.

I'd already paid for flights/ hotel and missed it because the people I'd paid to get me there were effectively holding me hostage (bit much, but I couldn't leave!)

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Markh19999
    The people you paid to get there were keeping you safe in the train!
    • redux
    • By redux 12th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 18,104 Posts
    • 23,885 Thanks
    redux
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    Claim off your travel insurance

Let them decide whether to take action against any rail company or the protestors.
    • Markh19999
    • By Markh19999 12th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Markh19999
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:43 AM
    Didn't have any travel insurance! Important lesson to learn I suppose.

The electricity had been switched off and we were told a controlled evacuation would take place within 10 mins. This was at 14.00. We finally disembarked at 15.30 at a station that wasn't where I'd paid to go + at a time where catching my flight was impossible.

Just having a quick look at the consumer rights act(which now covers rail travel) and it states:

Information provided to a consumer before making a purchase, whether oral or in writing, is binding where the consumer relies on it.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 6,205 Posts
    • 6,648 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    Just having a quick look at the consumer rights act(which now covers rail travel) and it states:

Information provided to a consumer before making a purchase, whether oral or in writing, is binding where the consumer relies on it.
    Originally posted by Markh19999
    But how is that relevant in your case ? Presumably you had already purchased your ticket before you were given any information about the protest and/or the proposed evacuation.
    • ic
    • By ic 12th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    ic
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:11 PM
    I can't see that the train companies can be held at fault here - the protest was out of their control, and they were protecting your safety. You may have been close to the station (I know the area), but the railways are inherently unsafe and de-training is never done lightly as its a health and safety nightmare. The tracks'll be coated in diesel, oil and human waste (many trains in the north still dump their toilets direct on to the tracks), you would have been high up on a viaduct and from what you said there were trains still running in the opposite direction. Many passengers might not be able to cope with that environment (elderly, parents with children, disabled), and the railway will be looking to handle everybody together and not be splitting you up.

I'd agree with other posters that this is the sort of occasion where travel insurance picks up the pieces.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 18th Mar 18, 3:47 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    RealGem
    • 18th Mar 18, 3:47 AM
    • 18th Mar 18, 3:47 AM
    Did you pay for your train or flight tickets by credit card?

I heard of a little known bizarre law that applies to credit card transactions for train journeys (but NOT debit cards) where if you are in a train *crash* you are automatically insured.

It would be a long shot, but worth checking if it also applies to protestors on the railway track!
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 18th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 2,252 Thanks
    glider3560
    I heard of a little known bizarre law that applies to credit card transactions for train journeys (but NOT debit cards) where if you are in a train *crash* you are automatically insured.
    Originally posted by RealGem
    My mate down the pub said....

In all seriousness, if you paid for something over 100 with a credit card, they are equally liable as the train company. But if the train company aren't legally liable for something, then neither are the credit card company.

OP, remember to get travel insurance next time, especially if you were flying abroad. How would you pay a medical bill if you were involved in an accident abroad?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin