Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Juliaa9987
    • By Juliaa9987 11th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Juliaa9987
    Over charges?
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    Over charges? 11th Mar 18 at 10:21 PM
    I have been with Npower for 18 months. I paid £90 a month by DD consistently. Itís a one person household and Iím often away so I thought £90 was too much and I switched to a cheaper supplier. I got a final bill from Npower for £165 which I reluctantly paid. Two weeks later, I received a second Ďfinal bill í This time for £ 285.00. I donít have the money to pay this and am confused as to how at £90 a month they have underestimated me by £450 in such a short time. Any advice about what I could do in this situation would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Julia
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 11th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 1,286 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:27 PM
    How long were you with npower?

Do you have an opening reading with them (not estimated) and the date it was taken? It should be on your bill history
    Do you have a closing reading for them (not estimated) and the date that was taken?

What was the tariff pence per kwh and the standing charge?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:46 AM
    Did you ever check your bills and meter readings, what tariff were you on.

As Cash says, find your opening reading when you joined nPower and work out exactly how much energy you've used, multiply it by the tariff, add the daily charge for 18 months and that should tell you the cost.

Then take away what you've paid and you'll see whether the bill is correct.

Just thinking that £90 a month was enough is not a valid reason for having a whinge. You need to do the sums using ACTUAL not estimated readings and check the bills carefully.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    As you have been with NPower for 18 months they will have been well aware of your consumption. Their stated policy is to review DD payments every 6 months which may or may not have been done. A factor that you need to take into account is that you have chosen to leave at the end of a Winter period when it is not unusual to accrue a debit balance. This Winter has also been colder than the previous Winter periods. Had you stayed with NPower then it is likely that your DD payment would have been revised upwards at the next review.

As others have said, you could have avoided this bill shock if you had monitored your usage in a more pro-active way. For example, I use a 99p APP called Meters to do all the hard work for me.

It some ways you are fortunate that NPower did not block your transfer. I can think of some suppliers that would have prevented the switch given the amount now due.

All that said, I appreciate that you were hoping that contributors could come up with a silver bullet. The only help that I can offer is to suggest that you need to check the opening/closing reading to make sure that it is broadly in line with what is showing on your meter. If there is a large discrepancy then talk to your new supplier about an Agreed Readings Dispute.
  • nPower
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:47 AM
    I have been with Npower for 18 months. I paid
    £90 a month by DD consistently. Itís a one person household and Iím often away so I thought £90 was too much and I switched to a cheaper supplier. I got a final bill from Npower for £165 which I reluctantly paid. Two weeks later, I received a second Ďfinal bill í This time for £ 285.00. I donít have the money to pay this and am confused as to how at £90 a month they have underestimated me by £450 in such a short time. Any advice about what I could do in this situation would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Julia
    Originally posted by Juliaa9987

Hi Juliaa9987,

Thanks for your message. If you'd like help understanding the costs on your final bill please contact us using the details on our profile page.

Thanks,

Jen
    ďOfficial Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,137 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    I have been with Npower for 18 months. I paid £90 a month by DD consistently. It!!!8217;s a one person household and I!!!8217;m often away so I thought £90 was too much and I switched to a cheaper supplier. I got a final bill from Npower for £165 which I reluctantly paid. Two weeks later, I received a second !!!8216;final bill !!!8217; This time for £ 285.00. I don!!!8217;t have the money to pay this and am confused as to how at £90 a month they have underestimated me by £450 in such a short time. Any advice about what I could do in this situation would be gratefully received. Thank you.
    Julia
    Originally posted by Juliaa9987
    I d agree with you and think that £90 a month is plenty enough for a dual fuel fix.
    I m a one person household in a 3 bed property and only pay £55 a month.
    Something may have gone wrong with the accuracy of the meter readings.
    Electric dial meters (6 rotating dials with pointers ) are notorious for being mis read by both the customers and meter readers.
    Digital electric meters are easily mis read if not viewed at the correct angle,
    Maybe Npower actually owe you ! So ask them for the opening reading and end read and as other posters have said get the calculator out.
    If you are an Eco 7 user suppliers sometimes sneakily backbill for transposed day/night readings without explaining why you actually owe the money.
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-03-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin