Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    Review was taken off.
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:17 PM
    Review was taken off. 11th Mar 18 at 8:17 PM
    Having been quoted for work to be carried out on my house, I was taken aback to be charged for a hidden extra to which I had not agreed.
    Having queried this he told me he would come to my house and remove the extra work and leave it looking ugly and unfinished and that if I was to complain I would be sued. I was surprised at this attitude as I am expressing an opinion as a consumer, the company invites comment via a star rating so would assume the customer opinion is of value. Clearly not unless five stars are awarded. I was even more shocked that he was able to remove my review from his company facebook account.What is the point of relying on reviews if the ones they don't like can be removed
    Last edited by adamliverpool123; 11-03-2018 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Doesn't explain situation properly.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 25,007 Posts
    • 68,490 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:19 PM
    Could you explain this in clear terms instead of really general ones? I don't know what you're talking about. It isn't going to solve the problem.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 11th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:47 PM
    Sounds like one of these ‘checkatrade’ types.
    At this stage we don’t know what was written on the contract, what was agreed, if he is a cowboy or you a pain in the bum.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:58 PM
    I was quoted for garden flagging £2400 and repointing garden wall £150.He didn't do the work on the wall so owed me £150 back as I paid just before completion .He said he doesn't owe me the wall money back because he recalculated the bill for 4metre piece of wood and cost of trip to Woodyard and putting red dye in the cement he used to fill the gap between the flags and the wall.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    Sorry I was trying to be general so i didnt cross any rules on the forum.maybe I was too general.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 25,007 Posts
    • 68,490 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    It's always harder to get money back than it is to pay when things are completed.

Moneyclaim online is your best bet for the £150.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    My issue is if we don't give 5 stars companies can get the review deleted off facebook. So what is the point of reading reviews when looking for a good tradesmen if they can get ones they don't like removed.
    Last edited by adamliverpool123; 11-03-2018 at 9:19 PM. Reason: Wrong word used
    • ashe
    • By ashe 11th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    My issue is if we don't give 5 stars companies can get the review deleted off facebook. So what is the point of reading reviews when looking for a good tradesmen if they can get ones they don't like removed.
    Originally posted by adamliverpool123
    They cant just ask for reviews to be deleted. They can complain if they feel what you have said is unreasonable e.g 'this man is a criminal, he stole my money' But they cant just delete it.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:36 PM
    They did delete it.the stars I gave are there but what I wrote was deleted.this is a copy.
    Having been quoted for the work to be carried out, I was somewhat taken aback to be charged for a hidden extra to which I had not agreed. It was explained that without this the job would look ugly. This is surprising as one would naturally expect work carried out not to be ugly but finished in a professional manner.
    Having queried this I was advised that the work could be taken down, dug up and that if I was to complain I would be sued for slander, this is an oral accusation! what they actually meant was libel as this is written. I am somewhat surprised at this attitude as I am expressing an opinion as a consumer, the company invites comment via a star rating so would assume the customer opinion is of value. Clearly not unless five stars are awarded. I would only say that the work carried out was to an acceptable standard, but in future I would advise anyone to ensure all works that they want to have carried out are on the quote of the company they ask to quote, irrespective of which company that is. Caveat emptor.
    Last edited by adamliverpool123; 11-03-2018 at 9:46 PM. Reason: Wrong word used
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 11th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    I put review on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon it was taken off.I had no email from face book or explanation.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 11th Mar 18, 10:51 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    I can assure you as a business owner that you cannot delete a review. If they are being trolled they can report it and the more people that report it the more likely it is to be removed, but there is no option for businesses to delete reviews, only hide them and that's only from their own view.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 12th Mar 18, 1:27 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    The review has gone but my stars are still there.That is why I started this thread.I have asked someone else to double check and they said it has gone incase I'm mistaken
    Last edited by adamliverpool123; 12-03-2018 at 1:31 AM.
    • adamliverpool123
    • By adamliverpool123 12th Mar 18, 1:37 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    adamliverpool123
    I have just double checked and now my stars have gone too.He now has 5 stars again and 4 reviews.I have no notification from face book to give me a reason.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 12th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 9,393 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    The actionable tort is defamation you have an absolute defence, that of truth. They could sue you, but if you told the truth, they wouldn't win.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

903Posts Today

7,125Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin