Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 11th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 231Posts
    • 141Thanks
    wazza99
    0 WOW
    Israel self tour by car
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Israel self tour by car 11th Mar 18 at 8:14 PM
    Hi folks i'm thinking of doing the above , 2 weeks in September, my wife isnt too keen but i'll work on that....anyone done similar, self booked flights, car hire and lodging ? we have done the same in many parts of the world so that isnt a worry just wondering if anyone has any specific advice, tips or a route they did ?
Page 1
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 11th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,791 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    Ballard
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    I donít drive but was driven around by my girlfriend at the time.

The traffic and parking in Tel Aviv is appalling so I wouldnít suggest driving around there.

Places that I would suggest:

Jerusalem (you could possibly take the train from TA and pick up a car there)
    The Dead Sea.
    The Kinneret (sea of Galilee)
    Haifa
    Caesarea (Roman ruins)
    Netanya has some nice restaurants
    Jaffa (pretty much part of Tel Aviv but prettier)

Some notes:

Iíve a feeling that a lot of signs were only in Hebrew but most are also in Arabic and English.

Donít think about Eilat. Itís miles and miles from Tel Aviv and thereís not much there anyway.

You will be in an Israeli registered car so if you were to drive into the wrong neighbourhood (eg around the Dead Sea) you might not be made as welcome as you might like (Israelis and West Bank number plates are different colours)

Israel is expensive

If you happen to be there for Yom Kippur (itís generally in the autumn) everything will be closed and you will not be allowed to drive anywhere.

Iím no expert with Israel so these are just a few pointers. There will be better answers than mine.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 12th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:55 AM
    Thanks, we did read about Yom Kippur , best avoided i agree, we would fly into Tel Aviv, bus/train to Jerusalem, hire a car on departure, we we're not planning Eilat or Jordan this time.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 37,228 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    Thanks, we did read about Yom Kippur , best avoided i agree, we would fly into Tel Aviv, bus/train to Jerusalem, hire a car on departure, we we're not planning Eilat or Jordan this time.
    Originally posted by wazza99
    This year Yom Kippur will start the afternoon of Tuesday 18 September. Wednesday 19 September everything will be shut.

Easiest is to take a train from the airport to Jerusalem. Jerusalem is fairly compact and you can easily get taxis around.

Tel Aviv driving is a pain in terms of congestion and the drivers.

If you are driving around you should use the Waze app. It is very common in Israel and therefore very accurate in terms of routes and traffic. The network 3 in the UK has a PAYG SIM that includes Israel as one of the take-your-data abroad with you. Putting that in an unlocked phone will be cheaper than buying a local SIM.

Most signs are in English and loads of Israelis speak English, so you shouldn't have any problems getting understood.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 12th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 37,228 Posts
    • 156,855 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:47 PM
    Flights from easyjet (Look at Gatwick prices that are often cheaper than Luton), Jet2 (Manchester), BA (Heathrow) & ElAl (Heathrow & Luton).

Car hire from most of the major brands. A lot are now on airport (just up the escalator from the main terminal) but off airport on the return, so allow extra time for the courtesy bus back to the terminal.

The weather will be lovely in September, so a great time to go.
    • wazza99
    • By wazza99 13th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    wazza99
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 13th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    Thanks all much appreciated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin