Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,730Posts
    • 1,883Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Resign or not?
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    Resign or not? 11th Mar 18 at 8:04 PM
    Looks pretty certain I won't pass my probation. I'm looking for another job but confused about resigning v being let go and how it might impact benefits and references.
    If I resign I understand I won't be entitled to jobseekers for a considerable time but at least references will confirm I resigned by choice. If I wait till I'm pushed I should be entitled to jobseekers but references might show I was let go.
    So, should I stay till I'm fired or resign?
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    I'd wait, unless you find a new job.
    I think not passing probation is a bit different to getting fired, your employer may still be happy to give you a factual reference (giving the date you were employed and the job title you had) - it's not as though you would be fired for misconduct.

And as you say, it will probably be better in terms of applying for JSA etc.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    Probation in this sense is effectively a fancy word for "trial". It allows you to see what the job is, whether you're suitable for it, (both in your opinion and that of the manager/company) + whether you like the job and whether you can behave in the way the company expects you to behave (ie dress code, attitude, punctuality, etc).

Normally some companies extend probation if they think there's a chance you can pull your socks up so to speak so not passing it now is not always the end of the matter.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 11th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,189 Posts
    • 1,673 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    So, should I stay till I'm fired or resign?
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Stay and see it out. You will look better for it. Could you remove the job from your CV? Are you day's into new job? No? There is your answer.

I know of someone only earlier this year who had to justify a redundancy when in an interview room being quizzed of a past job that charged upwardly of paying 29% for claim handling, compared to a consumer being able to do it for free for themselves owing to the job lost, I wish I was kidding but this is true, always imagine defending your corner in a future interview and if you can get a proper wage and keep your standards up while job hunting so much the better hey.

You've tried your best and really no one can hold it against you.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:18 AM
    Not being able to do a job is not a bad thing. resigning with nothing in the pipeline is worse, not just for benefits but for interviews too.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:55 PM
    Thanks everyone. Its been really stressful. I am honest, I don't think I have performed as good as they (or me) hoped I would. However I do feel I'm getting blamed for some things that were genuinely not my fault and I've had little training or support. On another angle - even if I passed probation I don't think I'd stay long as the job itself is not fulfilling. I suppose there is an element of feeling embarrassed / incompetent/ stupid or whatever! To say you were let go feels shameful. Not sure why because I'd not think that way towards anyone else! Sometimes its not meant to be .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin