Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 11th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 2,414Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    Hypothetical question- Paying with £20 coin
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:34 PM
    Hypothetical question- Paying with £20 coin 11th Mar 18 at 7:34 PM
    Hi-

Hypothetically, could I settle my mortgage (or part of it) with the £20 coin? I note that they are NOT accepted in banks or shops, but ARE legal tender. I bought a bunch of them a few years back and now cannot shift them at face value, could I pay my month's mortgage with them?

Thanks!
    Last edited by dadsgoneshopping; 11-03-2018 at 8:59 PM. Reason: poor writing
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 9,404 Posts
    • 10,391 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:25 PM
    AIUI, no. Legal tender only means what a court will accept.

Private businesses are not bound by those rules. Tesco would be quite at liberty to say they weren't accepting 20p coins for example.
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 11th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    Hi AnotherJoe,

That is not my understanding:

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning, which relates to settling debts. It means that if you are in debt to someone then you canít be sued for non-payment if you offer full payment of your debts in legal tender.

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 11th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:48 PM
    Perhaps you should ask your lender whether they would accept your £20 coins? Then you'll know.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 58,474 Posts
    • 51,847 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    could I pay my month's mortgage with them?
    Originally posted by dadsgoneshopping
    Is your lender a bank?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 11th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:26 PM
    HI,

Not a bank a building society.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 2,603 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    Hi-

Hypothetically, could I settle my mortgage (or part of it) with the £20 coin? I note that they are NOT accepted in banks or shops, but ARE legal tender. I bought a bunch of them a few years back and now cannot shift them at face value, could I pay my month's mortgage with them?

Thanks!
    No but if you want to pay off the WHOLE mortgage with legal tender then they should accept it
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 11th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    Wish I could pay the lot off, but that is many years (or a lottery win) away. £20 coins are going for about £15-£17 at the moment on ebay, if I had the money to buy a bunch more, I could effectively make a massive saving on my mortgage, if it were possible.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9,404 Posts
    • 10,391 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    Hi AnotherJoe,

That is not my understanding:

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning, which relates to settling debts. It means that if you are in debt to someone then you canít be sued for non-payment if you offer full payment of your debts in legal tender.

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/
    I stand corrected I misread that.

Which means there is a chance for someone to arbitrage these by buying at £17 and settling the debt at £20. Good luck !
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 11th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    I am not actually in a position to take advantage of this myself in any great way. I have £200 of the £20 coins, I bought them thinking that they may increase in value but at the least would retain their value, I was wrong. But it might be worth a punt...
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 12th Mar 18, 6:01 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Edi81
    I!!!8217;ve just had a quick look on the Royal Mint website that states:

However, while it is indeed legal tender, it has not been designed to be used as a circulating coin. This means that while you would be OK to use it in the settlement of a debt in court, for instance, your local shop or bank probably won!!!8217;t accept it in trade for goods, as the mechanics and systems are not in place to enable that. The highest denomination coin in general circulation today remains the £2 coin, first introduced in 1998.

The £20 coin has been created with the intention of being a commemorative coin, produced in limited editions and sold at face value (£20) to be bought and kept by collectors or someone looking for an affordable, sterling silver memory of a key personal event or occasion.

Doesn!!!8217;t sound too hopeful!
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 12th Mar 18, 9:25 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 802 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    Can you pop down to the Bank of England in person and exchange at face value or does that only apply to old bank notes?
    • dadsgoneshopping
    • By dadsgoneshopping 12th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 2,414 Thanks
    dadsgoneshopping
    I don't think the BoE will accept them- not sure though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin