Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,477Posts
    • 35,562Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th March 2018
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th March 2018 11th Mar 18 at 7:32 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!
    The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!very room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up
    These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.
    A few of the basics before we start the week
    Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
    Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
    Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
    Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
    HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!
    Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Here we go.......

Magnificent Monday - Kitchen and dining room
    Level One...
    Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Scrub down the front of units and large appliances
    Level Two...
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Wipe and replace small appliances
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills
    Level Three...
    Wipe the table and chairs... clean cloth if necessary
    Degunge the fridge!
    Extras
    • Thoroughly clean the cupboard full of tins!
    • Run the WM's and DW's through a clean cycle
    • Clean all the filters and door seals etc
    • Wipe a shelf or 3 and staighten all the stuff on them.

Twinkly Tuesday ~ master bedroom and landing
    Level One...

Make the bed...
    Clear the floordrobe
    Clear the landing of gibble
    Level Two...
    Dust and deweb
    Wash the windows
    Vacuum the floors.. and the mattress before remaking the bed
    Level Three...
    Strip and wash the bedding
    Wipe any grotty paintwork and furniture
    Check those smoke alarms!
    Extras
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI
    • 15 minutes filing
    • Fill a binbag of old winter stuff for charity shop!!
    • 15 minutes in the garden dead heading or pruning... only if it!!!8217;s not raining
    • HHI

Wednesday Wonders ~ Cruddy Study & Bathrooms
    Level One...
    Declutter floors!
    Mop/vacuum/sweep floors
    Level Two...
    Scrub tiles while running a defrag
    Clean the bath, basins, shower trays and loo's
    Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    Level Three...
    Wash windows
    Wash bath mats/shower curtains etc
    Degrot the desk and dust and polish the monitor and pc case etc
    Extras
    • Empty and wash out bins
    • Wipe all the sofas/chairs in these rooms
    • Wipe paintwork in these rooms
    • Clear and wipe a shelf or two
    • HHI

Thursdays are Trilling!! - Living pit, hallway, stairs!!
    Level One...

Declutter the floors!
    Vacuum/mop floors & stairs!
    Level Two...
    Wash the windows and the front door.. inside and out!
    Vacuum under the furniture you can safely move!
    Level Three...
    Clean the sofas
    Declutter the inside of a cupboard or drawer!
    Wipe all the paintwork!
    Dust mantle and polish all the trinkets upon it.. and get all the junk off it!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water the plants
    • Clean out the pets, get rid of that smelly bedding and replace with lovely smelling bits
    • Wash any smelly soft furnishings
    • Get a pile of filing done!!

Friday - those frightening Friday kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...

Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see..
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Level Two...
    Binbag dance
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Donít forget the light shade!!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
    Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! Aim for 27.. if no toy box youíll have to choose another area!
    Level Three...
    Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Extras
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
    • Make all those necessary phonecalls!
    • HHI
    • Make a half hour time out for yourself!!
    • Tidy up the garden! Trim hedges and grass etc...
    • Bake a cake
    • Spend an hour or so with the family having some lovely special family time.. just talking or watching a film with popcorn etc..
    Last edited by Natty68; 15-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 3
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 36,727 Posts
    • 472,743 Thanks
    pigpen
    Pigpen Re your gas bill have you had your meter changed in the last couple of years?There is a known problem with large bills for people who have.
    Originally posted by AnniMag
    yes about 3 months ago when they got huge.. I am refusing to pay it until they sort it out
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 12th Mar 18, 10:12 PM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 20,921 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Heading for snoozyland so a quick check in from me.

DH didn't get the job he was interviewed for, so the big stress about moving or finding him a flat has been removed from my shoulders.

He's in the running for another one, much closer to home, so fingers crossed.

Much calmer today, no cross words. I managed to oil some more beams today, so house smells like a cricket pavillion again. And yes, stupid dogs licking the oiled timbers
    • AnniMag
    • By AnniMag 12th Mar 18, 10:24 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    AnniMag
    Pigpen It seems that the old meters have different measuring units to the new meters and are not being registered so you get a much higher bill .My son had Gas bills that were sky high and ended up going to the ombudsman to get it sorted.He got interest on the extra money he paid and compensation as well. If you do an internet search there are lots of people having this problem
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 12th Mar 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 22,266 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    So it's not just me then. I had thought that giving up sugary things and cheese for Lent would see me drop 2lbs a week which it always has before. This time - nothing. No change at all. I'm back where I started after a 300g loss the first week after four weeks. Maddening.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Me too, sulk.

Today's total, with very little cleaning-type flying:
    - went to gym, 2 classes
    - checked and emailed a report
    - worked on some documents needed for new data protection stuff
    - got paperwork ready for tomorrow's assessment
    - went through more photos.
    - encouraged Mr N to make appt with doc about his cough/sore throat as he sounds even worse than I do. He's bound to bump into a few more germs on the plane on Wed as it is.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 36,727 Posts
    • 472,743 Thanks
    pigpen
    Pigpen It seems that the old meters have different measuring units to the new meters and are not being registered so you get a much higher bill .My son had Gas bills that were sky high and ended up going to the ombudsman to get it sorted.He got interest on the extra money he paid and compensation as well. If you do an internet search there are lots of people having this problem
    Originally posted by AnniMag
    Thank you!! I shall go conduct research!
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th Mar 18, 6:17 AM
    • 20,434 Posts
    • 232,273 Thanks
    Valli
    Had a seriously weird dream/nightmare! Ugh!
    Any WM x 1, TD and DW currently in action.
    Paid stuff beckons - job 2.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Mar 18, 6:58 AM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 20,050 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Slinky checking in to report a 1lb loss, so 1st 11lbs so far

Put the kitchen to bed last night so it was nice to come down to this morning. Food shopping being delivered shortly, kiddies having breakfast. I have a few errands to run straight from school run, itís DS 4th birthday today so we are hosting a little tea party later.

Anxiety wobbling just beneath the surface, must do a lot of walking today to try and shake it off.

Have lovely days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 51,919 Thanks
    Jazee
    Well done ATB - Slinkie champion I think.

Morning all. Will just be the usual for me today plus dog walks as it's actually dry.

Have a great day everyone.
    Savings 2018: £1478.11
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Mar 18, 7:17 AM
    • 601 Posts
    • 7,323 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all.

Well done on the weight loss, ATB. I'm firmly in the Can't Shift It camp at the moment.

Last night's DW now emptied, wm running, yesterday's washed towels are put away. I dreamt last night that we were snowed in again by the Beast from the East, so I had to get up and check outside....I think that I need sunshine!

DD is in a grump. I know that she is anxious, but I'm getting weary of having my head bitten off. Hopefully by this evening, today will have proven to not be as bad as she is building herself up for.

Off to job 2 shortly, so have lovely mornings all. Hopefully back at lunchtime to look at the listy.
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 13th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Well done ATB on the weightloss.

Not a bad day yesterday, lots of washing done, shopping done, meals planned and I had a sensible day foodwise and didn't have a drink. Very hard when OH walks in and says 'do you want a glass of wne' whilst I can hear him pouring himself one. Not much walking though, I'd done 13000 Sunday and 16000 Saturday and felt better for it but only managed 4000 yesterday. Not sure about today but planning to park on edge of town and walk, thus saving me parking fees and increasing my number of steps.

Working until late today so not much flying will get done but so far:
    Made bed
    Aired bedroom
    WM x1
    OH did DW
    Living room straightened

Keep it up Roundtuit little and often really pays off in the end and it's so satisfyiing to come home and see a tidy, clean bit.

Don't forget to SMILE
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 13th Mar 18, 7:45 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 8,685 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Morning everyone

Well done atb on the slinky weight loss and happy birthday to your DS Also be-gone vibes to the anxiety xx

I'm back on track - lost 2 lbs this week (and gained £29.40 - no take aways); if I'd realised how much they were costing each week I would have stopped sooner!! I've not joined the scrimpers challenge, but you have made me more aware of where the money goes. thank you.

That reminds me - I need to fill up with petrol on my way to work .

Hugs to Fayolle and DD. xx

Going to feed the birds & put out the recycling. Bed is made .

Hope everyone has a good day.

Rxx

ETA Thank you Mademoiselle xx
    Last edited by roundtuit; 13-03-2018 at 7:48 AM.
    Slinky Challenge 2018 target - lose 56 lbs
    Start Date: 02.01.18. Lost 16/56
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 523 Posts
    • 6,464 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Morning all

Congrats atb on the slinky loss!
    Gentle hugs Valli, I suffer with nightmares, it really puts you out of sorts for a while!
    Hugs and spoons for anyone else in need..
    Shall be attempting to reign myself back in and get on with some serious flying today!
    DS1 kindly WU last night and vacuumed the front room (he confessed it was due to spilling a large amount of crumbs from his crisp packet!!) while I was out at my course.
    I am off to check the lists and see what's to be done..
    Living life happily! Debt Free date: 2018!!!
    Jan 18 GC Feb 18 GC Mar 18 GC Apr 18 GC: May 18 GC £273.93/£300
    Slinky C : 3.5lbs/2st
    :
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 13th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 2,223 Posts
    • 20,921 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Hello lovely ladies

Naff all done so far. Just had another cuppa and two chocolate bars.

Got to preschool this morning to discover Tiny had forgotten his pants this morning...he has PE today...

Luckily the supervisor found a clean spare pair so we quickly got sorted. Not that Tiny would care in the slightest, but...

Might pop and see my friend about getting some hair extensions in a minute. I need a boost and she says she will fit them for me for free, if I pay for the hair. ATM I feel fat and frumpy, so this might be a way for helping that change.

Promise I'll fly later x
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 36,727 Posts
    • 472,743 Thanks
    pigpen
    Dizzy... new hair sounds fab for a boost.. I want mine chopping much shorter but can't bear for anyone to touch me.. I will get it done eventually.. I don't want it man short.. just shuolder blade length.. but that is a good 12 inches off.

I kinda promised Dot she can have bright pink hair for the summer holidays.. what have I done? She is super excited about it so I don't think she will change her mind..

Everyone banished.. DS2 still dying in bed.. might go check he is actually alive while I think on it.
    OH pack up made.. and him sent off to college after I sent him to the shop and to do the school run and bossed him to bring the mountain of washing down from our room.
    2x WM
    1x TD

For the first time this year I am going to put washing out on the line.... I have to get this mountain of towels dry

I looked at the kitchen ceiling... now I need to paint it.. the paint is on the hob...
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 13th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 2,423 Posts
    • 36,023 Thanks
    ionafan

Happy Birthday to Master Blonde, and well done slinky atb
    Dizzy, enjoy your new hairstyle.

I'm reporting another half-pound loss in the quest for Slinkydom - a total of 9.5 lb off since January I am happy with this, as half a pound a week would give me nearly 2 stone off by the end of the year, if I continued that long (but I'm not planning to go down below 10 st 7 lb, as people say I look ill when I'm any slinkier than that!)

Flying yesterday was WMx3 and today I have done the weekly shop. Off to college this afternoon, and I still have prep to do, lunch to make and a dog to walk.

Catch up later x
    Last edited by ionafan; 13-03-2018 at 2:57 PM. Reason: Mathematical miscalculation!
    Wannabe Slinky! Target 10 st 10 lb
    02/01/2018: 11 st 10.5 lb
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 13th Mar 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 20,050 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Oooh Dizzy hair extensions sound fab!
    Well done on the loss Iona and Roundtuit xx
    Piggers - enjoy pegging out, I know it really feels like spring is on its way when there is washing on the line!

I have walked the legs off the dog and will shortly be heading out to run some more errands on foot. We are forecast snow again for the weekend, I really hope they are wrong!

Parents evening for DD later, and I need to collect a prescription. Shall pop back in later xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th Mar 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 50,342 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) Dancemum. You're having a particularly testing time at the moment, so I just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and Dancepops and hope that you get a bit of respite soon.

Me too, sulk.
    Originally posted by Narc0lepsy
    I find it very comforting that it's not just me that can't shift a bit of bulk. I've sinned and eaten chocolate and realised just how sugary M&S so-called Belgian chox are. Won't be buying any of them, that's for sure, when I'm allowed it again. Didn't stop me eating pretty much all of them, though. Well done all the Slinkies who've been strong enough to stick to their healthy eating, whether or not you've shed weight.

I put two loads through the WM last night and pegged them out before 9.00 am this morning - go me! It's sunny and warm here. The forecast for tomorrow is dire.
    Keeping it AF
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 7,323 Thanks
    Fayolle
    I'm on a roll. Finished work at lunchtime, so grabbed my list. Bed changed, decided the worn out duvet cover really had had its day, so found a replacement one. Grabbed duster to dust the bedroom. Got distracted by the dust in the LR, so dusted that. Then I decided that I ought to vacuum the LR as well. Then I remembered the bedroom. I got distracted, and cleaned the French doors in the LR and a mirror. No - I really must dust the bedroom. Guess what - distracted by sticky marks on the woodwork so I sorted that....now I must get to the bedroom....but need to make tea for the builder. Oh well, I might be ahead later in the week.

I have turned out a bag to take to the CS for tomorrow when I do the banking for school. At least that was off the list!
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 10,470 Posts
    • 114,340 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Anxiety wobbling just beneath the surface, must do a lot of walking today to try and shake it off.
    Originally posted by atypicalblonde
    (((HUGS))) My anxiety is overflowing - hoping walkies with Lizzie in a little while will help.

Meantime, I have taken one step at least to alleviate it - I have again disabled pm-ing. It served it's purpose in enabling me to redistribute some "clutter" to where it would be of use, and now there's no need to keep it switched on.
    I have had a couple of perfectly reasonable, nice pm messages lately, but every time I see a notification "you have a new private message" my heart goes into my mouth and I literally start shaking, for fear it's going to be another diatribe like the one that upset me before - and basically made me feel I was worth somewhat less than a dog turd left on the pavement.
    Dizzy... new hair sounds fab for a boost.. I want mine chopping much shorter but can't bear for anyone to touch me.. I will get it done eventually.. I don't want it man short.. just shuolder blade length.. but that is a good 12 inches off.
    Originally posted by pigpen
    If it's just a straightforward chop off some length, would OH or one of your older DDs be able to do it?
    Mr LW does mine, because I have issues with being touched.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 13th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 652 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    tboo
    winkly Tuesday ~ master bedroom and landing
    Level One...

Make the bed...
    Clear the floordrobe
    Clear the landing of gibble
    Level Two...
    Dust and deweb
    Wash the windows
    Vacuum the floors.. and the mattress before remaking the bed
    Level Three...
    Strip and wash the bedding
    Wipe any grotty paintwork and furniture
    Check those smoke alarms!
    Extras
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI
    • 15 minutes filing
    • Fill a binbag of old winter stuff for charity shop!!
    • 15 minutes in the garden dead heading or pruning... only if it!!!8217;s not raining
    • HHI
    Kitchen and loo room mopped

started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    ďYouíre only here for a short visit. Donít hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.Ē óWalter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,561Posts Today

9,306Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin