Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    • 2,486Posts
    • 35,683Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th March 2018
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:32 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 12th March 2018 11th Mar 18 at 7:32 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!
    The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!very room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up
    These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.
    A few of the basics before we start the week
    Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!
    Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.
    Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.
    Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis
    HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!
    Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!
    Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Here we go.......

Magnificent Monday - Kitchen and dining room
    Level One...
    Clear and wipe worksurfaces
    Scrub down the front of units and large appliances
    Level Two...
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Wipe and replace small appliances
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills
    Level Three...
    Wipe the table and chairs... clean cloth if necessary
    Degunge the fridge!
    Extras
    • Thoroughly clean the cupboard full of tins!
    • Run the WM's and DW's through a clean cycle
    • Clean all the filters and door seals etc
    • Wipe a shelf or 3 and staighten all the stuff on them.

Twinkly Tuesday ~ master bedroom and landing
    Level One...

Make the bed...
    Clear the floordrobe
    Clear the landing of gibble
    Level Two...
    Dust and deweb
    Wash the windows
    Vacuum the floors.. and the mattress before remaking the bed
    Level Three...
    Strip and wash the bedding
    Wipe any grotty paintwork and furniture
    Check those smoke alarms!
    Extras
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI
    • 15 minutes filing
    • Fill a binbag of old winter stuff for charity shop!!
    • 15 minutes in the garden dead heading or pruning... only if it!!!8217;s not raining
    • HHI

Wednesday Wonders ~ Cruddy Study & Bathrooms
    Level One...
    Declutter floors!
    Mop/vacuum/sweep floors
    Level Two...
    Scrub tiles while running a defrag
    Clean the bath, basins, shower trays and loo's
    Collect all the laundry from upstairs
    Level Three...
    Wash windows
    Wash bath mats/shower curtains etc
    Degrot the desk and dust and polish the monitor and pc case etc
    Extras
    • Empty and wash out bins
    • Wipe all the sofas/chairs in these rooms
    • Wipe paintwork in these rooms
    • Clear and wipe a shelf or two
    • HHI

Thursdays are Trilling!! - Living pit, hallway, stairs!!
    Level One...

Declutter the floors!
    Vacuum/mop floors & stairs!
    Level Two...
    Wash the windows and the front door.. inside and out!
    Vacuum under the furniture you can safely move!
    Level Three...
    Clean the sofas
    Declutter the inside of a cupboard or drawer!
    Wipe all the paintwork!
    Dust mantle and polish all the trinkets upon it.. and get all the junk off it!
    Extras
    • Wipe and water the plants
    • Clean out the pets, get rid of that smelly bedding and replace with lovely smelling bits
    • Wash any smelly soft furnishings
    • Get a pile of filing done!!

Friday - those frightening Friday kids rooms and spare rooms
    Level One...

Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see..
    Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
    Level Two...
    Binbag dance
    Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade!!
    Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
    Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! Aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
    Level Three...
    Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
    Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
    Extras
    • Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
    • Make all those necessary phonecalls!
    • HHI
    • Make a half hour time out for yourself!!
    • Tidy up the garden! Trim hedges and grass etc...
    • Bake a cake
    • Spend an hour or so with the family having some lovely special family time.. just talking or watching a film with popcorn etc..
    Last edited by Natty68; 15-03-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 2
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 12th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 20,179 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Sending hugs to LW, Dizzy, Dancepops, Piggers' pukers and anyone else who wants one xx

Well done to Slinkies - my weigh in is tomorrow.
    Jazee - fingers, toes, everything firmly crossed for you xx

Before I forget - can anyone make use of 3 brand new M&S white cotton kids polo shirts age 6-7? My mum bought them for DD instead of the blue ones, we can't use them, if they're any good please PM me xx

It is raining cats and dogs here. Wettest school run ever on foot done, followed by an equally wet dog walk. DW unloaded, TD on, other bits over heated airer, some work emails sent for DH. Need to book a food delivery for tomorrow then back to school for 11.15 for Mothers Day lunch
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 12th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    WM x2
    TD x2
    Load ironed and put away
    Bed made
    Recycling out
    Banking bits done
    Meal plan so off shopping with a list.
    Porridge eaten without sugar, not too bad and certainly not as bad as I expected.
    Bags from weekend unpacked and put away.
    Kitchen looks ok, dirties all in DW
    Coffee drunk, must drink more water
    xx
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 12th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 8,832 Thanks
    roundtuit
    Round/1/complete/except/pots/LTD/not/WUPA/yet.
    Laptop/has/completely/lost/the/plot/now-/won,t/space/when/shift//held/now. How/are/you/all/with/ciphers?
    I//went/to/C00p/for/loaf/and/purchased/Easter/eggs/while/there/then/went/to/PO/to/pay/rent/and/purchased/Easter/cards/and/a/card/for/friend,s/special/day/at/the/start/of/April./So/some/of/my/errands/done/despite/the/rain//
    Didnt/know/how/many/words/contain/the/letters/after/a/and/u/until/I/couldnt/use/them!!!!
    Like/Madamoiselle/I/get/more/done/if/I/spend/time/with/you/ladies/so/I/dont/want/to/let/the/dodgy/typing/part/of/the/laptop/stop/me/posting//

Tried/some/of/the/techniques/found/on/Google/-/no/luck/so/far./Any/ideas?

Rxx
    Slinky Challenge 2018 target - lose 56 lbs
    Start Date: 02.01.18. Lost 16/56
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 36,746 Posts
    • 473,011 Thanks
    pigpen
    Soooooooo tired...

DS2 surfaced while i was at shop.. i came home to find him sat watching Bing (toddler tv) .. he is 22!!

My mortgage thing was accepted so I have £150 a month saving there!! and.. my council tax bill came.. apparently they want £200 for the whole year. Their calculators are defective i think.

my phone number has been transfered so I just need to carry one phone.

2x WM
    1x TD
    food bought for 4 days dinners £25 ..
    drugs bought for ds2s bugs
    parcel posted.

Twinkle is hopefully going for a nap shortly.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 £53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 36,746 Posts
    • 473,011 Thanks
    pigpen
    round.. have you tried using a USB keyboard or the on screen keyboard? it might be a problem with the laptop keyboard rather than the actual laptop itself
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 12th Mar 18, 1:30 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 8,832 Thanks
    roundtuit
    woop woop thank you pigpen. I didn't even know there was such a thing as an on-screen keyboard

Right, now I'm a happier Round I'm going to DUPA those pots.

Rxx
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 12th Mar 18, 2:17 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,857 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    Been shopping but forgot to take the list but only missed 2 items which aren't critical so can follow menu plan for the week, sadly spent more than Pigpen to feed us for the next 4 days (and we're only 2). Lunch eaten and 2 glasses of water drunk.
    Going to unpack shopping then have a coffee, then need to empty TD and put next load in.
    xx
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Mar 18, 2:18 PM
    • 9,695 Posts
    • 122,397 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Hoovering downstairs is done
    All washing is done, just got to get it dry now., it is still raining here
    Food shopping is done
    Kitchen is done

One visit done, one more to go
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Mar 18, 2:42 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Hi.
    A very wet afternoon off work. It seems to be the only way to stop DH staying at home and talking to the builder, who does his best to get on regardless!

Huge hugs Dizzy for being so brave. Good luck with moving on through this horrible time.
    ((Hugs)) also to Dancemum.

Roundtuit - I'm quite sad that you found the on screen keyboard (I also didn't know that there was such a thing!) as your earlier post made me chuckle!

Total flying was achived before I left the house at 7.30 am. Really must give myself a kick up the derrière, as I am about to waste the couple of hours that I have...
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 12th Mar 18, 2:43 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 8,832 Thanks
    roundtuit
    All pots (and pans ) WUDUPA. Another laundry shuffle done, and next load swishing in WM. Just one small hillock of washing left to do

Sweetie's seed and water to change next.

It's still raining here - not stopped all day! It should be March winds now, not February fill-dyke! Heyho.

Rxx

ETA Glad my post made you chuckle Fayolle - it made my brain work avoiding words containing b and v
    Last edited by roundtuit; 12-03-2018 at 2:49 PM.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 5,088 Posts
    • 50,807 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Good on you, Dizzy. I hope you feel a bit better now. Discord is exhausting. (((Hugs)))

And the Slinky challenge. OK in 2 months I have lost nothing! oops.
    Originally posted by Mademoiselle
    So it's not just me then. I had thought that giving up sugary things and cheese for Lent would see me drop 2lbs a week which it always has before. This time - nothing. No change at all. I'm back where I started after a 300g loss the first week after four weeks. Maddening.

Sealant game finished, and the shower room and bathroom look a lot, lot better and I could finally have a shower. As the tube won't last forever I'm going to redo the hob surround, I think, because it's looking a bit manky. And maybe the bit behind the sink, it's less than a metre. This H2H lark is making a real difference.

Progressing a very slow, very old PPI claim. I think we might be in line for a quid or three but we couldn't do it without using a claims company. We have literally no records. One of the businesses has gone bust, the other doesn't keep records for more than six years and we closed the bank account more than six years ago too. Good thing I don't throw out everything - I found the bank account number on a bit of paperwork that was misfiled in the attic while looking for something else.

Dentist done, now to crack on with compiling a listy for the week.
    Keeping it AF
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Mar 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 115,812 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I'm sort of in; mainly decluttering Spaniel walkies this week, methinks. It was very wet walkies this morning - not that Lizzie cared.

My head's a total shed right now, so will use an OpenOffice document to type then cut'n'paste, so if this makes no sense, that's why. It could actually be quite surreal, as I'm currently using the pc which is set up for Mr LW's preference; ie the mouse is set right-handed, so I keep clicking the wrong mouse button.

Dancemum healing vibes heading for Dancepops.

Dizzy Sometimes the coin lands just how we want it to. Well done on grabbing the bull by the horns. I hope to the gods things resolve themselves peacefully, you don't deserve this sort of heartache.

Roundtuit the teacup Yorkie sounds fab; I'd be wanting to kidnap (?dognap) her.
    Btw, looks like you could use a new keyboard. I know the feeling, the comma doesn't work properly on my laptop; I have to keep tapping at it til finally it decides to work; and I'm a tad obsessive about punctuation, so a non-functioning comma causes me much distress. Ah, now I've read further on, I see you have a workaround. Excellent.

Mademoiselle I too am f**ling to lose even an ounce of my excess lard. To make it worse, Mr LW has completely lost his "tummy" as he called it; to the extent that I don't want him losing any more, as being too thin is also not healthy. So I can't go the "we can lose weight together" route any more.

Piggers large dose of anti-barf vibes heading in the general direction of your place.

Ok, I have a hungry DH - it's tommy soup again tonight, as yet again I have a mouthful of ulcers (including a load under my top plate - big ouchy) so I need soft food. Lucky for me Mr LW loves HM tommy soup!
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 20,480 Posts
    • 232,808 Thanks
    Valli
    the thread has gone w-i-d-e
    anyhoo zero flying done because I forgot to switch washer on. so nothing to TD and cetainly not enough to DW

missed 5:30 SW so am aiming for 7:30. Jacket spud in oven ready for my return.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson

Thank you Honey Bear
    • tboo
    • By tboo 12th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 666 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    tboo
    Level One...
    Level Two...
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills
    Level Three...
    Degunge the fridge!
    Extras
    • Thoroughly clean the cupboard full of tins!
    Only bare minimum today

started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary - I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    04/06/18 £1000.87 to go
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 7,712 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Kitchen tidied, floor swept, dw on, rubbish out. Over flowing kitchen drawer turned out and restacked. How many tea towels does one house need??

Now sat with a cuppa and contemplating my knitting.
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 12th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 8,832 Thanks
    roundtuit
    the thread has gone w-i-d-e
    Originally posted by Valli
    oh thank goodness it's not just me! What with disfunctional keyboards and w-i-d-e threads I was thinking of flinging this laptop! Against the wall

Back to the paid stuff tomorrow but I'm planning on a little flying each evening to build on last week 's achievements Smiles at clear dust-free tv stand

Rxx
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 4,571 Posts
    • 38,155 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi all

Using my tablet so this will be brief! Dizzy huge hugs my love. Let's hope this clears the air a bit. Its easy to lose that sense of working as a team when there is so much going on and this can cause a lot of friction.

Pigpen you are amazing. There I have said it and I am not deleting it. I would be round to deal with sicky kids and help with laundry if I was nearby.

Tired. Gym, paid stuff, shopping, paid stuff. Same old. DH has had to cancel work yet again because of the weather but at least he fed everyone!
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 12th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 35,683 Thanks
    Natty68
    Evening everyone

Well I don't know what was wrong with me today but from the time I got up this morning, 6.30am I didn't stop until about 1pm. It was really weird as I just wanted to clean..yep you all heard that right..lol

So anyway I popped on Spotify, cranked up the sound and got cleaning Unfortunately DH was working from home so bless him, he had to shut his office door shut as he couldn't make phone calls due to the music being a wee bit loud...lol

But the upshot of all this is I have a lovely clean kitchen, a very full recycling bin and a fair bit thrown away and tidied up It actually looks nice too..I'm quite proud of it Plus I was pottering around in the rest of the house too.. Good job too as my cleaner isn't coming till Wednesday now.. At least she might have some cleaning to do otherwise she wouldn't have anything to do tomorrow..lol

Feeling really pleased that there is only one thing on Monday's list to be done, and that is going to be done on Friday. And I've even done some of Tuesday's list too

Going to iron DH's work shirts for the next couple of days, then grab some toast for tea, and the remainder of last night's homemade apple crumble for supper

Hugs and spoons to everyone, hope you are all ok

Level One...

Level Two...
    Sweep and mop the floor - mopping to be done Tuesday
    Clean oven and hob
    Wash windows and sills
    Level Three...
    Degunge the fridge! - to be done on Friday
    Extras

Twinkly Tuesday ~ master bedroom and landing
    Level One...

Make the bed...
    Clear the floordrobe
    Clear the landing of gibble
    Level Two...
    Dust and deweb
    Wash the windows
    Vacuum the floors.. and the mattress before remaking the bed
    Level Three...
    Strip and wash the bedding
    Wipe any grotty paintwork and furniture
    Check those smoke alarms!
    Extras
    • Binbag dance
    • HHI
    • 15 minutes filing
    • Fill a binbag of old winter stuff for charity shop!!
    • 15 minutes in the garden dead heading or pruning... only if it!!!8217;s not raining
    • HHI

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 36,746 Posts
    • 473,011 Thanks
    pigpen
    Pigpen you are amazing. There I have said it and I am not deleting it. I would be round to deal with sicky kids and help with laundry if I was nearby.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    Lol.. I'm really not.. My house is all upside down and my life is in wiggles.. I have got the washing done.. but drying it is proving awkward... the rain here today has been non-stop and I have a monster gas bill so I daren't use the dryer (I know that runs on electric!.. but it is money still ).. My house looks like a laundry!

But thank you.. One day I will be amazing.. for now I am content with no vomit for 8 hours!
    • AnniMag
    • By AnniMag 12th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    AnniMag
    Pigpen Re your gas bill have you had your meter changed in the last couple of years?There is a known problem with large bills for people who have.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,290Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter