Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kallisti
    • By Kallisti 11th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Kallisti
    Account with multiple pots for budgetting
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    Account with multiple pots for budgetting 11th Mar 18 at 7:31 PM
    For a while I've had two accounts. One where my pay is lodged and anther where all my regular outgoings come from. For various (good) reasons, I'm closing one and down to one now, but I'm relaly going to miss one thing.

Every month, at the start of the month, I estimated my upcoming outgoings and transferred the money over to the second account. I then spent from the first one and had a very clear view of where I was financially.

This simple thing really helped with budgetting.

Other than doing the same (opening two accounts), do any banks and/or their apps offer anything similar? A way of visualising your actual position without having to figure out which payments had and had not yet gone out of the account on a particular day?

Offset accounts used to do them, but I'm not even sure any now exist for new business?

Thanks.
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
Page 1
    • riotlady
    • By riotlady 11th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    riotlady
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    Have you tried YNAB? It's an app that lets you assign all your money into budgeting categories at the start of the month and then spend from those categories. So you wouldn't see your money in different pots looking at your bank account, but you would looking at YNAB.
    Make 2018 in 2018 challenge-
    509/2018
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 11th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 907 Thanks
    polymaff
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    Offset accounts - nowadays often referred to as Sweep or Sweeper accounts are less common nowadays. RBS do systems called Regular Sweep and Safety Net.

https://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/ms/g1/money-manager/additional-services.ashx#tabs=section2

Barclays used to do them, but I can't see any evidence - and who knows how stable RBS will be.

Given that many bank accounts offer pretty good interest rates per se, the original rationale of sweeping to a secondary account has vanished.
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 11th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,066 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    Halifax has a "money left until payday" feature which looks at your current balance and deducts any direct debits it expects to come out before you are next paid, which may do what you need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin