Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 11th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 5,756Posts
    • 3,531Thanks
    Hengus
    Energy Switching - ever thought of getting a pet!!
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    Energy Switching - ever thought of getting a pet!! 11th Mar 18 at 6:35 PM
    A device that plugs into a home broadband router and automatically switches supplier when cheaper deals become available is set to revolutionise the home energy market.

The launch of Labrador comes as more and more people are changing their energy companies.

The company!!!8217;s free service is primarily targeted at the growing number of households which have smart meters, which automate readings. More than 8m have been installed in the UK so far, and energy suppliers have to offer one to every home in the UK by the end of 2020.

Unlike conventional price comparison sites, which require people to actively search for a better deal and input their details and energy use, Labrador will automatically switch people!!!8217;s accounts when it finds a cheaper tariff.

Jane Lucy, founder and CEO of Labrador, said: !!!8220;We!!!8217;re not about behaviour change: we assume consumer lethargy will remain.!!!8221;

Flipper was a similar service that launched last year, relying on accessing a customer!!!8217;s energy bills, which might be estimated. Labrador believes it will be more accurate, as it use a device that plugs into a customer!!!8217;s broadband router and talks wirelessly to their smart meters, taking readings direct from them.

While Flipper charges an annual £25 fee, Labrador makes its money like a switching site, by being paid an acquisition fee by suppliers.

Lucy said she expected customers would be switched 1-3 times a year and save on average £300 a year. They are given the choice to tailor their preferences, for example, to just green energy tariffs.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/mar/11/labrador-switch-energy-suppliers

https://www.thelabrador.co.uk/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=la d-t18-a3-c49&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItP_y-fTk2QIVBBUYCh0WRgzCEAAYASAAEgKB-vD_BwE
    Last edited by Hengus; 11-03-2018 at 7:20 PM.
Page 1
    • newatc
    • By newatc 11th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    newatc
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    Given the "expertise" of energy company's customer services, changing 1-3 times per year sounds like like a recipe for nightmares.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 12th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 6,966 Posts
    • 5,731 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 7:29 AM
    Energy companies should employ Labradors for customer services. I expect they'd do a better job.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 12th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 3,354 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:20 AM
    What about switching penalties?
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 12th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:35 AM
    What about switching penalties?
    Originally posted by lstar337
    And do the use the "ofgem" method to calculate inflated savings.

Also, they get the commission for switching you. Better to do it yourself for suppliers that have referral schemes, like Octopus, as then you get the "commission".
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 12th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    I like the idea, but......

*Smart meters turn dumb as soon as you switch.
    *It'll make keeping track of your DDs even more of a PITA than it already is.
    *I'm not keen on my bank details being passed from company to company without any input from me.
    *How long will it take for the companies to devise a means of thwarting it?
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    And, as soon as you change supplier via your (almost certainly SMETS 1) smart meter, it will become dumb so I think this Labrador woman's plan has a basic flaw. Maybe she's a dumb b!tc#.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 12th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:09 PM
    And, as soon as you change supplier via your (almost certainly SMETS 1) smart meter, it will become dumb so I think this Labrador woman's plan has a basic flaw. Maybe she's a dumb b!tc#.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Labrador believes it will be more accurate, as it use a device that plugs into a customer’s broadband router and talks wirelessly to their smart meters, taking readings direct from them.
    So it's works the same way as the display supplied with your smart meter. These displays can continue to display information from your smart meter and I suspect this Labrador will get it's data in a similar way.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    Don't understand your post, popellerent; a smart meter is smart only until it becomes dumb, which switching supplier almost invariably results in... Really couldn't give a toss, tbh, as you could not pay me to have a "smart" meter anyway.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 12th Mar 18, 2:32 PM
    • 4,565 Posts
    • 5,872 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Don't understand your post, popellerent; a smart meter is smart only until it becomes dumb, which switching supplier almost invariably results in... Really couldn't give a toss, tbh, as you could not pay me to have a "smart" meter anyway.
    Presumably the IHD still works even when the meter reverts to dumb.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 12th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 593 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Presumably the IHD still works even when the meter reverts to dumb.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Exactly. My smart is "dumb", but my IHD still shows data from the smart meter.

When you say a smart is dumb, to me it means it can no longer send data to your energy provider. But it can still talk to your IHD - or at least in my case.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Mar 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Whatever. I prefer to decide who knows what when about my energy usage or indeed, anything else. I am certainly not prepared to let some dumb machine decide who my provider is or at what rate I am charged. You can keep your smart meters; I am of a generation who thinks for itself, rather than one who relies on machines to do its thinking: Generation appless generates thought; generation hapless relies on apps.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Mar 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    House Martin
    Whatever. I prefer to decide who knows what when about my energy usage or indeed, anything else. I am certainly not prepared to let some dumb machine decide who my provider is or at what rate I am charged. You can keep your smart meters; I am of a generation who thinks for itself, rather than one who relies on machines to do its thinking: Generation appless generates thought; generation hapless relies on apps.
    haha, nice line Smodtlet.."generation hapless " and their useless apps where they rely on their slab of plastic as if its a third lung.
    I can t see the gimmick of Labrador working without SMETS2 meters being almost fully operational
    It will be many many years down the line I think before Labrador is up an running smart switching (using only SMETS2 meters) every 5 minutes to the highest bidder.
    If it works, and can save £300 a year then watch all your anti smart brigade swallow their false pride and beg suppliers for smart meters.
    End of the day money talks !
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-03-2018 at 5:04 PM.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 13th Mar 18, 7:43 AM
    • 1,161 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Imagine being switched to a certain energy company who will remain nameless.........

No thanks
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 8:36 AM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Imagine being switched to a certain energy company who will remain nameless.........

No thanks
    Originally posted by fredandwilma

OMG! Not that I know which one you mean, f&w, but there are myriad companies I just would not choose to be with. To have no control over to whom and when I was switched, no very thank you. Is this dog going to take into account things like the WHD? Standing charges? It would have to be a pretty smart pooch to do that; there seem to be people on here who cannot grasp what those are.

I wonder if this labrador woman is reading this thread; maybe we are doing her R & D for her, for free. Don't think I want anyone else watching me via a meter.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 13th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 5,756 Posts
    • 3,531 Thanks
    Hengus
    You read it here first. From Antonio at Labrador.com in response to a question that I posed about SMETS1 meters:

Quote: Reply from Antonio
    Hi, if you already have a smart that is fine, we can connect the Labrador retriever directly to your current SMETS1 meter and eventually switch you if we can find a cheaper tariff.
    The meter won't go into dumb mode after switching thanks to our device. Unquote

Makes one wonder why The Data Communications Company is spending so much money trying to adopt SMETS1 meters on to its system.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Mar 18, 9:07 AM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Smodlet
    They can't seem to make up their minds whether it is a lab or a retriever, either... And would your octopus not be jealous, Hengus?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 13th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 3,354 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    lstar337
    Why so hostile?

The poster was only trying to explain how they thought it would be possible for the system to continue to work after a smart meter turns dumb.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 13th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,354 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    lstar337
    Makes one wonder why The Data Communications Company is spending so much money trying to adopt SMETS1 meters on to its system.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    My guess is that they know a lot of people would object to being forced to allow the smart meter to use their own broadband that they pay for monthly.

If you are choosing it, that's a different matter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

897Posts Today

6,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin