Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 11th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    • 544Posts
    • 401Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    Another roundabout accident - my fault or 50:50?
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:58 PM
    Another roundabout accident - my fault or 50:50? 11th Mar 18 at 5:58 PM
    Was at a roundabout this afternoon. It's more or less a perfect roundabout, 4 exits all at 90 degrees to one another, 2 lanes all the way, etc.

I'm in the left lane waiting to turn left, there's a guy in front also waiting to turn left. The traffic is fairly light, and the guy in front is dithering a bit and missed a few opportunities to make his move. Even my aunt in the back said "what's this guy waiting for?".

Anyway, another opportunity arises, no traffic coming from the right, I watch his brake lights go off and he pulls away. I release my foot from the brake and my car starts to creep forward (it's an auto), I look to the right double checking all is clear, (getting ready to either hit the accelerator or give way) and next thing the wife is yelling "watch out" and I hit the back off the guy in front, who whilst I was looking to the right, has changed his mind about moving off after all and stopped again

Even stranger, as I go to get out of the car to make sure everything is ok, he just drives off. I am guessing he has decided his 15 year old Corsa is not worth the effort of checking.

As I said, I didn't even have my foot on the accelerator so there was no damage to my car.

So hypotethically, if there had been an insurance claim of any kind who would have been at fault? I am thinking it was probably completely my fault, but would there be any 50:50 due to the guy in front moving off and subsequently stopping for no apparent reason?
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 11th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    z1a
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:00 PM
    Would be 100% your fault.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 11th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:05 PM
    100% you.

Doesn`t make him less of a prat though.
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    Yep, I suspected as much.

I suppose the lesson learned is to always expect the unexpected when it comes to other drivers.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 11th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    Despite the other drivers dithering and random stopping I would have to agree it's your 'fault' from an insurance company view.

Being critical I would suggest if you see someone driving badly then give them a bit extra room and stay out of their way!
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 11th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    but would there be any 50:50 due to the guy in front moving off and subsequently stopping for no apparent reason?
    Originally posted by Roland Sausage
    There may have been a tortoise crossing the road, which you could not see

• IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    The answer has to be don't drive where you aren't looking. I've done it - pulling out of an unsighted car park at rush hour, going for the gap - not realising that the car going past had jammed the anchors on and had stopped just in front of me.

It is quite hard to resist, but really you need to look in front, check, look in front, move, not look in front, check, move.

In this case, clearly a driver lacking in confidence which the OP had already worked out, yet they assumed when they started driving off that they were going to be competent - there was already evidence that they weren't.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 2,809 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:02 PM
    Get a dash cam for future just in case it's a try it on crash for cash type
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 11th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 11:12 PM
    Get a dash cam for future just in case it's a try it on crash for cash type
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Good idea. I've been considering one for a while anyway, so perhaps now is the time.

I'm not sure it was a crash for crash, as the guy took off before I even got out the car. He probably didn't have insurance or something.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Mar 18, 12:29 AM
    • 44,393 Posts
    • 52,683 Thanks
    G_M
    Did you really need to ask?

You do realise that you are responsible for where you drive, and not driving into other cars, yes?

What if a pedestrian had stepped in front of your car just as you were "looking to the right"? You wouldn't be here asking a hypethetical question - you might have been facing a charge of causing death by careless (or dangerous) driving.
    • Equi
    • By Equi 12th Mar 18, 12:40 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Equi
    Unless it is proven to be a "fix" there is generally 100% blame on the driver who goes into the back of another. There should never be a reason you are not far enough away to come to a stop before hitting them.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 2:44 AM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Yep, I suspected as much.

I suppose the lesson learned is to always expect the unexpected when it comes to other drivers.
    No, the lesson to be learned is to make sure the vehicle in front of you has actually entered the roundabout before you decide to set off.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Mar 18, 5:25 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey

You do realise that you are responsible for where you drive, and not driving into other cars, yes?

What if a pedestrian had stepped in front of your car just as you were "looking to the right"? You wouldn't be here asking a hypethetical question - you might have been facing a charge of causing death by careless (or dangerous) driving.
    Originally posted by G_M
    What an absolute crock.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 8:08 AM
    • 17,598 Posts
    • 15,952 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I did exactly the same thing, back when my licence was new. It's a very easy mistake to make - you see the car in front start to move, and assume that they've not stopped again while you're looking at the gap. Easy mistake, common mistake - YOUR mistake.
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 12th Mar 18, 10:16 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage

Originally posted by G_M
    That's a bit dramatic.

I was going no faster than 5mph. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't kill even the feeblest of pedestrians.

Any pedestrian stepping into the path of a moving vehicle, would have to share at least some of the responsibility.

And why would it be considered dangerous driving to be looking to the right whilst approaching a roundabout? That is what you are supposed to do.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 17,598 Posts
    • 15,952 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Any pedestrian stepping into the path of a moving vehicle, would have to share at least some of the responsibility.
    How about crossing in front of a stationary vehicle that then moved off?

And why would it be considered dangerous driving to be looking to the right whilst approaching a roundabout? That is what you are supposed to do.
    Not to the exclusion of looking in front of you. This is where this thread has come from, after all...
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 12th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    No, the lesson to be learned is to make sure the vehicle in front of you has actually entered the roundabout before you decide to set off.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    They had. At least half of their car was over the line when they decided to stop again.

However fair point which I accept.
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 12th Mar 18, 10:31 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    How about crossing in front of a stationary vehicle that then moved off?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Yes, that would be a problem, but is not even remotely like what happened, so probably no point in going into the very dramatic "what if's"

Not to the exclusion of looking in front of you. This is where this thread has come from, after all...
    Yes, it has been a lesson learned.

I have seen it happen at T-junctions as well when someone starts moving off, then has a last minute change of heart whist the driver behind has already begun his move. It's probably a common cause.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    This is why many cars now have forward looking collision avoiding radar fitted as standard. Reduces insurance costs too.

Collisions at junctions and roundabouts are very common, often the result of inattentive drivers.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 13,575 Posts
    • 8,618 Thanks
    arcon5
    Such a long post.... for what is merely a rear end shunt. The simple fact is you crashed in to the back of somebody not paying proper attention to cars in front.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin