Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ffee
    • By Ffee 11th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ffee
    Cat flaps for glass
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    Cat flaps for glass 11th Mar 18 at 5:54 PM
    Hi, looking to fit a cat flap in the glass panel of an aluminium door. Does anyone know if you can use a magnetic one?
    And given that the door is new, I'd prefer the cat flap to be as discreet as possible. Does anyone know of clear-framed cat flaps that are also magnetic (assuming magnetic is ok in aluminium)?
    Thanks!
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    This wone would seem to fit the bill.
    https://www.windowware.co.uk/pet-tek-glass-fitting-multi-magnetic-cat-door-g-mcdw?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgq3PlZHl2QIVo7ztCh3jjwkdEAQ YBSABEgJCUPD_BwE

Staywell make one too - and have very good customer service so it would be worth contacting them if you are not sure what would be best for your circumstances.

I think if you are fitting to a glass door you normally have to get the whole glass panel fitted with the hole in it, rather than fitting it in an existing pane of glass.

You can also get flaps with a tunnel and put t through a wall, instead, if you prefer, which might give you more choices for where to put it.
    Last edited by TBagpuss; 11-03-2018 at 8:48 PM.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 11th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 8,157 Posts
    • 12,786 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:54 PM
    I have a cat flap fitted in a glass panel. It was done many moons ago and is a Staywell cat flap, originally magnetic but the magnetic mechanism broke many years ago.

I recall the company who fitted the cat flap did so in toughened glass; I gave them the cat flap they did the rest at their workshop and then came back and removed the original glass and refitted the door with cat flap panel. This was 20 years ago so things may have changed since then.

I still have the cat flap fitted in the original door but it is not very discreet.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 12th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 2,038 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    It does need an adaptor to fit the cat-flap into a glass panel door.
    It will tell you that in the fitting instructions.
    Didn't take long to get delivered.

I have the micro-chip cat-flap, so she carries the 'key' at all times. Any cat can get out, but she's the only one that get in.

Look out in your area for a double-glazing company that does 'repairs' - they will be able to sort it out for you.

We were having a new door anyway, but they couldn't have done any cat-flaps before - didn't know about the adaptor!
    Had it done properly later.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • jenny-wren
    • By jenny-wren 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    jenny-wren
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 14th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    We got a Sureflap Microchip Pet Door fitted into a new set of uPVC french doors last year (the cat is too big for a standard cat flap and we wanted to keep the neighbour's cats out). We had a few problems getting it to work and the most likely issue was that metal in the door was interfering with the electronics in the flap. The circular hole for the flap is sealed around the edges and covered with a metallic tape. That could have been the issue or it could have been the metal within the door frame.

The magnetic part of the flap worked fine, it was just the microchip activation that didn't work all the time. I would recommend that you tell the company making the glass unit what flap you are putting in before it is made (and provide them with a copy of the fitting instructions leaflet). That way it there are problems getting it to work you have more come back. We didn't read the instructions before getting the door made and even had to take the cat to the vet to check that the microchip hadn't migrated. Sureflap were absolutely brilliant and talked us through all the various modes (including 'secret modes') and we got it working. Yeah, one happy cat!

I can highly recommend the flap that we got. You can put the flap into 'curfew mode' meaning that you can stop your cat from going out between set times but if it's out it can still get back in. We have ours locked at night.
    Norn Iron Club Member 330
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,609Posts Today

7,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin