Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FIRSTTIMER
    • By FIRSTTIMER 11th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 325Posts
    • 53Thanks
    FIRSTTIMER
    Has anyone taken out a LISA - which is best one
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    Has anyone taken out a LISA - which is best one 11th Mar 18 at 5:17 PM
    Hi,

I am interested in pursing a LISA as a long term saving option - current age 30's and have got a mortgage/house.

I like the idea of better growth with 4000 a year with a stocks and shares isa but don't want to pay huge costs and ideally nothing too risky where my capital disappears!

Has anyone taken one out - I have looked at a few that are recommended on here - if the provider website says potential growth of 4-5% per annum - will I get that added per annum? As I am thinking in an extreme emergency if I withdraw, the interest and growth I have potentially received will offset the capital I have already put in meaning the twenty five percent penalty wouldn't hit me too hard?

Advice please...
    Savings 10000
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 7,119 Posts
    • 7,539 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:47 PM
    I like the idea of better growth with 4000 a year with a stocks and shares isa but don't want to pay huge costs and ideally nothing too risky where my capital disappears!
    Originally posted by FIRSTTIMER
    Costs are shown for each provider in the summary at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/lifetime-ISAs#bestbuysstocks. You'll have a wide range of investment options within each of these, some will be lower risk than others, but even these do bring a risk of capital loss, albeit complete loss is extremely unlikely.

if the provider website says potential growth of 4-5% per annum - will I get that added per annum?
    It's potential growth but could be losses, albeit the growth years should outnumber the loss years over the long term. It's not added separately as such, the growth comes from the value of each of the units/shares that you buy.

As I am thinking in an extreme emergency if I withdraw, the interest and growth I have potentially received will offset the capital I have already put in meaning the twenty five percent penalty wouldn't hit me too hard?
    There is no interest in S&S (L)ISAs - depending on what you invest in, you may receive separately-identified dividends (in others these will simply be rolled up into a higher unit value). It shouldn't take too much growth to offset the withdrawal penalty though (it's effectively 6.25% once you strip out the bonus you've already received), but generally it's a bad idea to commit money to investing at all if you think you might need it at short notice, so you should ensure that you build up an emergency 'rainy day' fund in readily-accessible cash form before starting on investing....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,537Posts Today

9,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin