Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theSNEW
    • By theSNEW 11th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    theSNEW
    most economic way of buying a van
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    most economic way of buying a van 11th Mar 18 at 4:57 PM
    iím looking to replace my current panel-van and i wonder how to go about it most economically?

iíve heard itís really bad to buy brand new as vehicles typically lose most of their value in the first years, therefore is it better to buy something 2+ years old, but with less than average mileage? i have money saved so i could buy new if i thought it was worth it, I certainly wouldnít relish giving money away to interest on an unnecessary loan or hire-purchase, but i just wonder how worth buying new is?

last time I bought i got something 7 years old for about a quarter of itís original price, it had fairly low mileage but did cost a fair bit in yearly repairs. I would guess maintenance costs on a new/young vehicle to be relatively low? I would be happy to go this way again if itís cheaper in the long run.

a lot of people i know get vans on lease/pcp because they can make a tax saving but at £300+ month this seems a false economy?? yes the tax saving is great but eventually you could have paid off the van in full and either you have paid significantly more than the principle because of interest or end up forever paying monthly and getting a new van every 4/5 years.

the other option is to rent when i need to.. yes it would be inconvenient and extra admin but i would save in tax, insurance, maintenance etc. I work in the film industry and generally only work two thirds of the year so perhaps this would be cheaper over all?

any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 26,924 Posts
    • 10,832 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:13 PM
    No buy something 5 years old and HIGH miles. Very cheap. depreciation will be minimal after 5 years compared to the first 5.

High miles depreciates the vehicle further, and everyone knows they all explode in a cloud of smoke when they hit 100,000 miles. So demand is lower which drops prices further.

Savvy buyers, buy a high miles 5 year old van and cherish it and in 5years time they sell it for half of what they paid or run it until it dies, at least 10 years after you bought it.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 11th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,811 Posts
    • 2,382 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    My GF's white van has very high mileage (not sure if it's over 100k) but is reliable enough, off the road recently for a day, but she has a good garage she trusts.

Only half-jokingly I suggested we use it for next year's skiing holiday so that we could bring more wine and cheese back, and I'd certainly have confidence in it making it.

I'd seriously look at forgotmyname's advice, but find someone with a bit of knowledge first before taking the leap.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Mar 18, 3:00 AM
    • 2,826 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:00 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:00 AM
    last time I bought i got something 7 years old for about a quarter of it!!!8217;s original price, it had fairly low mileage but did cost a fair bit in yearly repairs.
    Originally posted by theSNEW
    Congratulations, you found out that doing low mileage is bad for a vehicle. Personally I would and I do buy cars that have done an avereage of 15k or more a year over ones which have done half or less than that. The low mileage one will have spent most of its life either doing short journeys or being stood for long periods, both of which are bad. The high mileage one will have been used very regularly and mostly on long runs. My current car had 38k on it when I bought it at 2 years old, its now on 128k and other than a suspension bush and track rod end has been fine. My previous car I bought at three years old with 90k on it. I ran that for half a decade and sold it with 165k. Other than a few bushes, an alternator, a bit of plastic pipe and a brake caliper that ran fine too.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 17,356 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    Have you spoken to your accountant about the benefits of leasing?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin