Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newbieboy
    • By newbieboy 11th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 103Posts
    • 51Thanks
    newbieboy
    Land Registry Deeds - Difference
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    Land Registry Deeds - Difference 11th Mar 18 at 4:25 PM
    Hello!

We have recently received the Official Land Registry Deeds (TR1) for our new build property.

It has been noticed by a couple of us, that this copy is missing all of the sections to do with the Management company?

Is this normal?
    Also what does it mean for us?

For context, we are in a Freehold property and this is a management company for the shared areas, we are all a bit confused around the Management company anyway, it seems to be;

Company A - Owns the Land
    Employing Company B to manage the Land
    Who seem to Employ Company C to be the Management Company?!
    Company C have a multitude of other companies involved performing "administrative" functions (which accounts for >25% of the annual costs apparently!)
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 44,046 Posts
    • 52,152 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    Have you asked your solicittor or are you doing the conveyancing yourself?

If you are - stop.

However, the TR1 is not the "Official Land Registry Deeds". It is simply a form to transfer the Title (hence 'TR'). The Title itself is different and holds more information.

As for the management set-up, yes perfectly possible to be as you describe, though personally I'd be wary of buying into such a set-up as costs will be out of your control, each company will be charging fees ( that's how companies make money) and the service provided may not reflect the cost to you....
    Last edited by G_M; 11-03-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    • newbieboy
    • By newbieboy 11th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    newbieboy
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    Hi, Thanks for the reply.

So we haven't spoken to our solicitor as of yet, they were recommended by the developer and we had masses of issues (the developer actually ceased using them after so many people on this development complained!). We only realised today as well!

We have chatted to another solicitor who has given us some advice though this evening (friend of ours).

Apologies, i meant TP1 not TR1, not sure why i said TR1...

Interesting bits we have seen with regards to the mgmt company are that they aren't (by name) specified in the original TP1 document we signed, but there is mention of a completely different company in the one from the land registry.

My belief was that they had to specify the initial charge and company on the documents, whereas we haven't got anything specified (even our "costs" are just service charge estimates by someone who we were told hadn't actually been contracted to do the work when we moved in.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 44,046 Posts
    • 52,152 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    So we haven't spoken to our solicitor as of yet, they were recommended by the developer

Aaagh! Never use the deveoper's recommended solicitor. You need a solicitor who is totally independant and on your side, not one with a connection, however tenuous, with the 'other' side (the developer)

and we had masses of issues (the developer actually ceased using them after so many people on this development complained!). We only realised today as well!

We have chatted to another solicitor who has given us some advice though this evening (friend of ours).

Apologies, i meant TP1 not TR1, not sure why i said TR1...

My original comment stands. TP1 just means it is a transfer of part of the Title. It is still not the Title (or Deeds) itelf.

Interesting bits we have seen with regards to the mgmt company are that they aren't (by name) specified in the original TP1 document we signed,
    No - they wouldn't be
    but there is mention of a completely different company in the one from the land registry.
    What 'one'?

My belief was that they had to specify the initial charge and company on the documents, whereas we haven't got anything specified (even our "costs" are just service charge estimates by someone who we were told hadn't actually been contracted to do the work when we moved in.
    Originally posted by newbieboy
    The maintenance costs can never be specified - how can anyone know what it will cost year by year? The gardener may increase his hourly rate; a sudden fall of snow might require digging out; inflation might rocket up to 12%.........

And there is no reason the freeholder should not change the management company. If the original Manco turns out incompetant, or expenssive, or goes bankrupt, surely you'd want them changed?
    • newbieboy
    • By newbieboy 11th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    newbieboy
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:35 PM
    Where abouts are the title/deeds then?

We havenít received anything other than the TP1 from the Land registry and we got asked to sign a TP1 when we bought the house (they arenít the same content wise). This seems strange to us as we have effectively signed (and purchased on the basis Off) certain requirements and these have no Le changed without us being notified (albeit possibly to our benefit).

There is mention of a management company in the TP1 received from the Land Registry (the official form apparently), though there is no mention of the extensive management provisions (covering our billing, expectations, requirements on our part etc).

We have paid an initial fee when we exchanged, and this sits in a account until the time the development (for both developers) is completed and the management company take over.

WRT the solicitor, yep - deep regret over using their solicitor, we have filed complaints against them as they didnít explain anything and really didnít work for us! We have a friend who is a solicitor (but we couldnít use for various reasons) who checked everything and sent us pages of issues which we passed on to our solicitor, it was. A bad experience!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 44,046 Posts
    • 52,152 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:54 PM
    Since from what you say you now own the property, you should have received from your solicitor a copy of your Title.

Failing that, pay £3 to the Land Registry here to download a copy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,518Posts Today

6,491Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin