Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cts_casemod
    • By cts_casemod 11th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 32Thanks
    cts_casemod
    First time renting a room - what to know?
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:21 PM
    First time renting a room - what to know? 11th Mar 18 at 4:21 PM
    Hi all,

I'm planning to rent a room in my house. I assumed it would be as easy as signing up to spareroom, but a further involvement into the process has revealed a few concerns.

First this is a 'classifieds add' website. Unlike AirBnB or OpenRent there are absolutely no reviews from previous landlords and most tenants only ask for a viewing without providing many details.

I though I should be cautious and get myself informed before going any further.

Is it common to meet at a coffee shop with the potential lodger to have a pre-interview before inviting for a viewing at the property? How do I make sure references are legitimate?

I rent. As such, is it enough to issue a notice to my lodger should I need to end my tenancy? How do I get proof this was delivered?

What would a lodger agreement look like? I see a couple generic ones online, but unsure that's all we need and would perhaps be looking into advice filling one.

Housing benefit tenants... Are they worth it? I received HB myself back in the days, but I didn't note it to my landlord. I would just use it to help with my rent, understanding whatever case I was fully responsible for any moneys due. I see some people clearly mention receiving, and that will have to be approved AFTER they move, so just wondering whenever I should be wary.

Do I need to protect the deposit with DPS or a similar scheme?

Any other concerns I should have? Just really looking for an honest opinion from those more experienced.

Thanks!
    Last edited by cts_casemod; 11-03-2018 at 7:20 PM.
Page 1
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 11th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    Hi all,

What happens if we don't go along or for any reason I need to return the property and end the tenancy agreement with my lodger? I assume providing a notice would be enough, but what if they say this was not given?
    Thanks!
    Originally posted by cts_casemod
    Are you renting the house or do you own it?
    • cts_casemod
    • By cts_casemod 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    cts_casemod
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    Are you renting the house or do you own it?
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Thanks, that bit was confusing. I'm renting
    Last edited by cts_casemod; 11-03-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    In that case, I would check wether your tenancy agreement allows you take in a lodger.
    I would also make any potential lodgers away that you yourself rent the property and if your given notice then they'd be given notice in turn.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:22 PM
    Is it common to meet at a coffee shop with the potential lodger to have a pre-interview before inviting for a viewing at the property? How do I make sure references are legitimate?!
    no it is not common, in fact if you did that to me I would think you were trying to scam and may not even actually have access to the property to start with, especially if you then expected me to give you personal details without having even seen the place

references work both ways ! What reference can you offer me as to your competence and personal integrity as a LL? I am trusting you with my personal possessions after all. Do you have any experience of sharing a house? You may turn out to be a compulsive cleaner who cannot abide a hair on the soap in the bathroom or someone who wants the furniture put back exactly where the dent in the carpet says it ought to be.

I rent. As such, is it enough to issue a notice to my lodger should I need to end my tenancy? How do I get proof this was delivered?
    yes, that is why you have a lodger agreement - it sets out what notice is required by either party

What would a lodger agreement look like? I see a couple generic ones online, but unsure that's all we need and would perhaps be looking into advice filling one.
    it can be whatever you want it to be. Don't make it long and don't fill it full of rules. Yes you may want to have house rules but keep those separate

the lodger agreement is about how much rent, when does it need to be paid and what notice is required

Do I need to protect the deposit with DPS or a similar scheme?
    no

Any other concerns I should have? Just really looking for an honest opinion from those more experienced.

Thanks!
    use the search function,
    lots of previous posts from lodgers and their landlords
    Last edited by 00ec25; 11-03-2018 at 8:26 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin