Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lois and CK
    • By Lois and CK 11th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 547Posts
    • 735Thanks
    Lois and CK
    Simple personal pension to go alongside my SIPP
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    Simple personal pension to go alongside my SIPP 11th Mar 18 at 4:03 PM
    I've got a SIPP with UK investing in Vanguard LS 80. I've also got NEST with my employer but that's minimal and no option to increase the employer contribution.

I'm thinking that I'd like an active version of a 'whole world' pension fund in a personal pension - something with a provider like Aviva or Standard Life or LV=.

But whereas I felt pretty comfortable with the passive approach and choosing Vanguard LS as an all-rounder whole-world fund, I'm a bit lost with finding an active version. Has anyone any pointers please? Thank you.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 92,593 Posts
    • 59,910 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    I'm thinking that I'd like an active version of a 'whole world' pension fund in a personal pension - something with a provider like Aviva or Standard Life or LV=.
    Aviva's main pension product is a SIPP. Standard Life are selling their life and pensions book to focus on their investment funds and platforms, which offer SIPPs. LV doesnt have a mainstream product.

What is wrong with selecting a fund within your SIPP?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 11th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 9,394 Posts
    • 10,378 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    What Dunston said, just add another fund alongside your existing ones. There are plenty of whole world active funds. ( Most with poorer records than passive ones but whatever )

Or perhaps try an investment trust. F&C, SMT etc etc.
    • Lois and CK
    • By Lois and CK 11th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    Lois and CK
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    Oh thanks both. I hadn't realised that about Aviva et al.

Ok, I'll start looking for an equivalent active fund to add to my SIPP. I guess I'm just feeling nervous about my pension all being in the one passive fund, which is why I started thinking along these lines.
    • AlanP
    • By AlanP 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    AlanP
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:33 PM
    Oh thanks both. I hadn't realised that about Aviva et al.

Ok, I'll start looking for an equivalent active fund to add to my SIPP. I guess I'm just feeling nervous about my pension all being in the one passive fund, which is why I started thinking along these lines.
    Originally posted by Lois and CK

Remember VLS 80 is actually an umbrella for a number of passive funds so you aren't all in one passive fund.

If I were you I would look for funds that "complement" VLS 80 as opposed to replicate part of it. For example if you choose an active, global fund that focuses on large companies then the chances are those same companies will already be in the relevant VLS fund as it sticks to large companies in S&P 500, FTSE 100 etc.

What VLS does not have is Smaller Companies or physical Property funds so adding those would increase your diversification without overlapping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

5,815Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin