Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kathy535
    • By Kathy535 11th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    • 434Posts
    • 566Thanks
    Kathy535
    Cold water tank leaking and sludge in radiators
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:06 PM
    Cold water tank leaking and sludge in radiators 11th Mar 18 at 3:06 PM
    Id really appreciate a sense check from any plumbers out there. We have a leak from the cold water tank. Called a plumber out and he says the metal tank has corroded due to sludge in the radiators. We need a new tank but should also get the sludge done as otherwise it will warp the new (plastic) tank. So far, so plausible. He says we could have a power flush in one day but that might lead to leaks under the floor boards so he recommends doing it over 2-3 weeks. I suspect that when I get a couple of other quotes they will be pushing the 1 day version. Whats the best thing to do?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 33,023 Posts
    • 38,588 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    1 day flush is reverse flow using chemical

Longer version I assume is chemical additives to system , run it as normal then drain and refill

I've had the first done with no issues
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:13 PM
    I presume its the CH header tank which is leaking or is it the main cold water storage tank?
    I am not sure how sludge would get into then warp a plastic tank in the loft and would have thought you will get rads which don't heat up properly and boiler problems before any damage to the cold water tank occurred.
    • bris
    • By bris 11th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    bris
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    Find someone that can do a Magnacleanse flush and get the filter in at the same time.

I do these every time I install a boiler now. It works on normal operating pressure using your boilers pump rather than a power flush that can cause leaks in an old system.

It can be done in a day and when finished the Magnaclean filter is left in place to keep the system clean.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 11th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 5:14 PM
    Find someone that can do a Magnacleanse flush and get the filter in at the same time.

I do these every time I install a boiler now. It works on normal operating pressure using your boilers pump rather than a power flush that can cause leaks in an old system.

It can be done in a day and when finished the Magnaclean filter is left in place to keep the system clean.
    Originally posted by bris
    ^^^^

This

(*Other magnetic filters are available )

And as for warping plastic header tank - load of *********

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 11th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:32 PM
    What a load of guff from the 'plumber'

Is it the C/H expansion tank or main water tank that's leaking as the zinc coating has gone? Anyway, replacing a tank with a plastic one is fine, although you may as well get both done assuming their the same age. Get the plumber to remove the old tank(s) too as don't want a heavy metal tank left sitting on the joists.

The 'power-flush' is a 600 con that at it's worst can open up pinholes in the piping. After replacing the C/H header tank, the plumber should pour in 4l Fernox of Protector MB-1 and bleed the system.
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 11-03-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 11th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 5,330 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    What you have to think of is how long has it taken for this sludge to cause the roof tank to leak (if that has what has caused the leak), metal roof tanks have not been used for at least 40 years

PS I wish this web site would get this apostrophe thing sorted it is bloody annoying
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Kathy535
    • By Kathy535 15th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Kathy535
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    Thanks everyone. It was the cold water expansion tank. I got a second quote and this plumber says there!!!8217;s no need to do a power flush and his quote to replace tank was 150 less so he!!!8217;s coming next week!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,002Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin