Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7,331Posts
    • 3,790Thanks
    buglawton
    Getting small plastic parts copied by 3D printing?
    • 11th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    Getting small plastic parts copied by 3D printing? 11th Mar 18 at 3:00 PM
    I'd like to get replacements for some small missing/broken parts like radiator bracket and UPVC windows screw covers - all unusual shapes. I have originals of same design to use as a template. All the 3D printing services want 3D drawing files uploaded or do commercial prototyping only. Any suggestions for a scan-copy-and-print service?
Page 1
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    • 12th Mar 18, 11:33 AM
    Can't offer any suggestions but like you I'm looking for somewhere that provides a 3d printer service for small home items. I'm certain someone will eventually realise the potential here and set up such a business.

Perhaps I should look on ebay for a cheap second hand printer myself?
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 13,953 Posts
    • 18,372 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    Can't offer any suggestions but like you I'm looking for somewhere that provides a 3d printer service for small home items. I'm certain someone will eventually realise the potential here and set up such a business.
    Originally posted by Alfrescodave
    It has existed for a few years.

There is a website that puts potential customers in touch with owners of 3D printers. It's can be bit of a money maker for spotty adolescent geeks. My nephew has a couple of friends who do it.

Unfortunately, the name of the site eludes me at the moment.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Newuser1987
    • By Newuser1987 12th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Newuser1987
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    I often use 3D printers and the printing part of it is the easy bit. Just hit print!

The difficulty is the modelling of the bit you want to print. The person would likely need the physical copy of the piece you want to print and then model it to make it accurately. It's not always quick to do this and perhaps not very cheap. You could try sites like fiverr and then search 3d modelling.
    • lg13mza
    • By lg13mza 12th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    lg13mza
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:35 PM
    I'd like to get replacements for some small missing/broken parts like radiator bracket and UPVC windows screw covers - all unusual shapes. I have originals of same design to use as a template. All the 3D printing services want 3D drawing files uploaded or do commercial prototyping only. Any suggestions for a scan-copy-and-print service?
    Originally posted by buglawton

PM me some more details. I might be able to help you out if there isn't too much work involved and the parts aren't that big. I've got access to CAD and 3D printers at work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

8,137Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin